Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, fellow PC'ers! This is my first thread, so I'll try to make it interesting.

This is an idea that I've been kicking around for quite some time, through watching interviews, listening to the music, and reading the lyrics. I've come to this conclusion -- there is a music genre led almost entirely by INFPs, and that musical genre is "shoegaze."

If you haven't heard of this genre, it was a short-lived influential musical "movement" which began in the late 80s, reached its peak in the early 90s, and now has been revived by current bands. It involved, generally, softly droning guitars, a mix of male and female sleepy/dreamy vocals seemingly hiding behind the guitars (not in the forefront, but continuous with the music), and psychedelic lyrics focusing on either being in love, being in love, sex, being in love, depression, being in love, drugs, and also, occasionally, being in love. :tongue:

Why the name "shoegaze"? -- if it doesn't sound overtly INFP-ish already, here's where it is obvious. Well, critics of the era were surprised by how the musicians seemed to be so shy as to focus almost entirely on their foot pedals, and not make eye contact with the crowd often. So, taken literally, the word "shoegaze" was pegged on these musicians, who generally took it offensively and as an attack upon their more introverted, emotional, shy nature.

As a result, the media had a hard time promoting and advertising romantic, introspective bands like this, and it eventually lost out to the more extroverted Grunge and Brit-pop movements, getting forgotten until the last decade.

Artists pegged with this "shoegazer" label:

Ride
Slowdive
My Bloody Valentine
Lush
The Cure
The Jesus and Mary Chain
M83
The Verve

Given all this information, and my experience with these bands, they seem very overtly IFP, if not entirely INFP. Dreamy, swooning, shy vocals, abstract & melancholy lyrics, introverted stage performances -- "the scene that celebrates itself," as it was also called, was an almost completely INFP genre, I think.

But I'm curious what you guys think, and I'll let you decide. Here are a few songs/interviews. Tell me what you think! Agree, disagree? INFP, ISFP?

(Look at their eyes, always wandering around or hidden, shy :p)

"The sun will blind my eyes, I love you anyway"
YouTube - Ride - Vapour Trail

"I don't know how you could not love me now"
Youtube - My Bloody Valentine - Sometimes

Youtube - My Bloody Valentine Interviews

"Alison, I'm lost"
Youtube - Slowdive - Alison

Youtube - Slowdive (Poetic Frenzy) Interview

·
Registered
242 Posts
I might be the exception, but I am an INFP who likes upbeat, cheerful, hopeful, uplifting, energetic music. Seemingly the opposite of what most INFPs have put as their favorite music on this thread and others on this forum.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like superficial music; I want emotion in my music, some meaning, but I don't like listening to sad or depressing music. And I would consider the above music depressing.

What do you guys think?

Reactions: Kastor

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might be the exception, but I am an INFP who likes upbeat, cheerful, hopeful, uplifting, energetic music.
I know what you mean -- I need my daily dose of that music too! Some shoegaze music is upbeat, other kinds aren't. I just happen to enjoy 'em all. :happy:

Don't get me wrong, I don't like superficial music; I want emotion in my music, some meaning, but I don't like listening to sad or depressing music. And I would consider the above music depressing.
Hmm interesting. It might just be taste, it's probably different from person to person -- music like this is perfect for me, someone who endlessly likes to explore their emotions, both light and dark, through emotional music.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I love shoegaze! I think it does seem very INFP, as it's dreamy & abstract.

I'd say that Kevin Shields (MBV) is INFP, as is Robert Smith (The Cure) and William Reid (JAMC). Don't know enough about the other bands' members to say....

You forgot Cocteau Twins :tongue:.......I think Elizabeth Fraser is ISFP. Robin Guthrie, I don't know...

I might be the exception, but I am an INFP who likes upbeat, cheerful, hopeful, uplifting, energetic music. Seemingly the opposite of what most INFPs have put as their favorite music on this thread and others on this forum.

What do you guys think?
I like a lot of music, and so some of that definitely includes upbeat, cheerful, energetic music. I actually like a lot of dance music, but yes, it needs to be SMART. It doesn't have to be extremely profound, but I like when they lyrics say something even if it's not obviously apparent at first. Lately I've mostly been listening to Hot Chip & LCD Soundsystem.

However, I don't find shoegaze depressing. It's a bit melancholy at times, but I find denying that part of the human emotional spectrum to be annoying, and well, depressing. It's not a matter of wallowing, but embracing the value in all emotion. A lot of shoegaze is also simply dreamy & atmospheric to me. Lush's songs feel happy to me, for example, even though they have that dreamy quality.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You forgot Cocteau Twins :tongue:.......I think Elizabeth Fraser is ISFP.
I love them! Very good band, it is cool to hear you like them. They always seemed a bit more dream-pop to me, but hey, it's all kind of the same thing!

I'd say that Kevin Shields (MBV) is INFP, as is Robert Smith (The Cure) and William Reid (JAMC). Don't know enough about the other bands' members to say....

I think Elizabeth Fraser is ISFP. Robin Guthrie, I don't know...
I think you are totally spot on with the ones you mentioned. I agree, Liz seems to be ISFP from the interviews I've seen.

As for Robin Guthrie, from the interviews I've seen of him I would bet he is INFP. His mannerisms remind me of Robert Smith & Kevin Shields. Guitarists are always a bit hard to type, but Nick McCabe from The Verve is also INFP I believe.

As for the others, Lush always seemed a bit ENFP, but it's hard to tell.

Slowdive, to me, is the incredible one. Through all my looking through interviews, reading notes, lyrics, etc -- it's a little hard to believe, but my best bet is that the entire band was INFP. Almost strains credulity in how awesome that could be! MBV almost strikes me the same, although Bilinda Butcher could be an ISFP.

p.s. - great signature!

·
Banned
780 Posts
I love me some shoegaze! So spacey. I have been offered to play guitar in a band here in Chicago, and after playing and hanging out with these guys, I am willing to bet I am not the only INFP. We are all I for sure, but it's going to take some more time to see...other guitarist is a computer science major, bassist majored in visual arts, and I am not sure about the singer. I feel a weird bond with them already.

Do you like guys Brightblack Morning Light? Kind of shoegaze, along with Tobacco and M83 is definitely.

·
Registered
565 Posts
yes, the Cocteau Twins! i swear Treasure is one of the greatest albums ever made.

YouTube - ‪Cocteau Twins - Amelia‬‎

<3

and i believe also that Shoegazing has far more potential in musical expression, and bands like Radiohead realise this. and i would personally like to experiment more in shoegaze-esque reverie-songs :happy: maybe with a harder edge?

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'm really kind of surprised but I can't say I like any of this besides the M83 video that was just recently posted. I have a pretty wide range of musical tastes, but the monotony of this music is killing me. It just sounds like lots of noise.

I think if maybe I was stoned while listening I would appreciate it a little more, but even then I can't be sure. It isn't so much that I find the songs depressing or melancholy, rather I find they spark absolutely no emotions positive or negative in me whatsoever in that sense. I just sat there feeling annoyed more than anything.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Opening track from my favourite 'shoegaze' album

dreamy

YouTube - ‪port-royal - jeka‬‎
They are from Italy btw

My parents always told me to look up when walking, I was constantly looking to the ground. I stopped doing that about three years ago, always try to keep my head straight nowadays lol.

Reactions: xezene
1 - 20 of 72 Posts