Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
erm.... so lately, i've been buying small things here and there. and it seems like i am getting addicting to this small pleasure of having something for myself. it started really small -- i had been going through a rough patch since january, so i started buying you know... a beautiful journal to write in.... nice-smelling lotion.... a scarf to keep me warm, in my favorite color.... a nice sweater... another one....a nother journal... another sweater...another... etc..... and i keep spending money despite all the effort i've put in in the past to save up this money. i'm really stressed lately and i think this is part of a reason. i'm buying things impulsively, and i'm THINKing "i should return this..." but inside i'm saying, "NooO, you deserve this stuff. after all that stuff you are going through. you need to be selfish and just bask in some hedonism." And does anyone relate? i am driving myself crazy. starting today. NOTHING. I am hiding all my money and cards. Aksja;dj;3

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Lol I feel ya. I remember I was stressed and stupid me headed off to eBay. BIG mistake. I ended up in the coin section and got fascinated by ancient coins on sale there. Bought myself a few. And then headed off to jewelry section and bid on some stuff there. Those 1cent-1dollar start bid deals are sooo tempting. Then got a new tennis racket. A massager. And some books about what to do in emergencies (i think my Ni was also driving me paranoid). Thank the "law of spontaneous creation" (after reading that news article about Hawkins that's what I'm gonna call god from now on lol) that most of the things I bid on, not bougt out, and thus got outbid and did not end up winning. But yes end result was that I ended up purchasing myself a whole bunch of useless stuff that I had no use for. Luckily this phase lasted only about a few weeks. I still have the coins somewhere though ...

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhh I totally know what you mean about that, too!! I went through a phase where I started collecting really unique beads, shiny beads, beads, beads beads. That was a while back. I really don't know why though, because it ended up being completely useless since I don't make jewelry as a hobby. I bid on a whole bunch of stuff on ebay, started small... got out bid on some, but would saw some beads i HAD to have, so I would wait untill there was < minute to bid and end up paying a ridiculous price for one bead.

I guess with clothes, I do need some new clothes... especially with my new work, stressful situation, I guess i would feel slightly better if I felt i was dressed in something i really liked... but sitll, i really don't need all these things and :confused: I think this is my shadow function creeping outttt

·
Registered
428 Posts
erm.... so lately, i've been buying small things here and there. and it seems like i am getting addicting to this small pleasure of having something for myself. it started really small -- i had been going through a rough patch since january, so i started buying you know... a beautiful journal to write in.... nice-smelling lotion.... a scarf to keep me warm, in my favorite color.... a nice sweater... another one....a nother journal... another sweater...another... etc..... and i keep spending money despite all the effort i've put in in the past to save up this money. i'm really stressed lately and i think this is part of a reason. i'm buying things impulsively, and i'm THINKing "i should return this..." but inside i'm saying, "NooO, you deserve this stuff. after all that stuff you are going through. you need to be selfish and just bask in some hedonism." And does anyone relate? i am driving myself crazy. starting today. NOTHING. I am hiding all my money and cards. Aksja;dj;3
Oh I love to buy stuff whenever I go out. I think I have a tendency to collect things. Although I have about 1,000 books or so, I still keep buying them even though I have no more space in my cupboards or shelves; so they just pile up on my tables. Part of the problem is I like to have my own library where I can just reach out and refer to whenever I need information on something. I also keep buying comics weekly; as I need to find inspiration. :p Not to mention action figures and collectibles of whoever or whatever I happen to fancy at the moment.

There are times when I go out and don't get anything new at all; like today, because I have bought everything I wanted to get already. I feel kind of odd when I don't have a new acquisition. Maybe I should focus more on appreciating what I do have and hiding all my money. :tongue:

·
Registered
139 Posts
I made a resolution this year to not buy any first hand clothes (to stop supporting slave labour) and now I buy second hand clothes all the time, I get sick of clothes way too fast and have run out of space but keep buying.
I think it's good, especially as an infj who are incredibly complex, to spend some time really reflecting on what's going on in your life, sort out your feelings and make sure your not spending to compensate for stuff you're not dealing with.

Reactions: vel

·
Registered
378 Posts
I made a resolution this year to not buy any first hand clothes (to stop supporting slave labour) and now I buy second hand clothes all the time, I get sick of clothes way too fast and have run out of space but keep buying.
I think it's good, especially as an infj who are incredibly complex, to spend some time really reflecting on what's going on in your life, sort out your feelings and make sure your not spending to compensate for stuff you're not dealing with.
Me too I buy all my clothes from charity stores or second hand markets now, you save money and get to feel more creative when searching for a unique outfit. Most clothes in chain stores are so boring and generic. Finding a good excuse for shopping can make it quite addictive though! For the most part I'm quite cheap<3 and not a reckless spender but I have had my moments (I've probably spent more on food than everything else combined xD). Over the last few months I've saved up hundreds since I want to buy a new camera. In the meantime, window shopping alone is relaxing and enjoyable for me. Apparently this is bc shopping is an activity which increases oxytocin levels in women (;

·
Registered
139 Posts
Me too I buy all my clothes from charity stores or second hand markets now, you save money and get to feel more creative when searching for a unique outfit. Most clothes in chain stores are so boring and generic. Finding a good excuse for shopping can make it quite addictive though! For the most part I'm quite cheap<3 and not a reckless spender but I have had my moments (I've probably spent more on food than everything else combined xD). Over the last few months I've saved up hundreds since I want to buy a new camera. In the meantime, window shopping alone is relaxing and enjoyable for me. Apparently this is bc shopping is an activity which increases oxytocin levels in women (;
That's so cool :D Yeah the only downer is when you have a really clear idea of what you want but no one is selling it second hand. Haha I know what you mean, I've always thought it's cause of my jewish/scottish blood rather than infjness lol. I'm excited for you on the camera front n_n I'm thinking of just getting a Diana or Holga, but then I'd have a new ongoing cost of film.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
this is why I don't have a job...

I don't know how to keep my money.

I treat myself to movies, clothes, small stupid crap...
like when I was rollin in the dough I bought a snuggie for my friends party as a gift for the winner of a drinking game. lol.

yeah...
random stuff is my favorite...
but then I just try to tell myself that am I going to need this purchase down the line... in like 10 years...
then I usually don't buy. unless I am purchasing an experience like the movies or hanging with friends I usually spend.

oh and good quality food when I go out.
I like the expensive dish.
unless finances are bad... then I get the cheap stuff...
cause people feeling shitty about their finances... not a fun feeling.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
i'm really stressed lately and i think this is part of a reason.
So perhaps you should focus on minimizing the stress - whatever that is, you didn't say - so you don't feel the need to buy so much junk. Your compulsive buying is a band-aid on the tumor, here.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
This is definitely not me. I am not materialistic, at least as far as items goes. All of my money goes straight into the bank. I have not yet been able to overcome the need to have savings to afford me a simple, relatively stress-free existence, at least as far as having my basic needs covered. I recently gave away all but the most essential items in my life, and hope to do more soon. Being tied to material objects weighs me down, causes me stress, and makes my life feel cluttered.

When I shop, I do so only out of necessity. I go straight for the items I need and leave as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm not a shopaholic, I shop only when needed and go directly to the stuff I need in the store,
I usualy have a list with the basic so i don't forget when i get there. :wink:

·
Registered
378 Posts
That's so cool :D Yeah the only downer is when you have a really clear idea of what you want but no one is selling it second hand. Haha I know what you mean, I've always thought it's cause of my jewish/scottish blood rather than infjness lol. I'm excited for you on the camera front n_n I'm thinking of just getting a Diana or Holga, but then I'd have a new ongoing cost of film.
lol I tend to create imaginary outfits for myself too, so whenever people say their sense of style is a significant way in which they express themselves, I never feel like I relate as completely as I could if there were a physical manifestation of my ideal realm of forms. xD Upbringing would effect your attitude towards money though, my parents were very cautious with money bc they grew up poor. For some reason this doesn't scare me enough to get a job... :/

Lomography is awesome but I agree film can be a bit of a hassle.. I usually resort to using photo editing effects for that (see I told you I'm cheap:). I need to buy some polaroid film off ebay since I already own a camera from ages ago. It's very expensive so I don't mind using expired film (the more lo fi, the better :)

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
I've never been the sort of person to splash out on my appearance - shoes, bag and clothes etc...but books..I love books! If I go past a shop where I know there will be books I have to have a look 'just in case' I find something. Sometimes I just like to stand and look at theme or touch them. I must sound like a complete weirdo!

Not just books for reading either! I love pretty blank journals. They are like jewels. I imagine all the things I could write in them :crazy:

·
Super Moderator
11,651 Posts
This is definitely not me. I am not materialistic, at least as far as items goes. All of my money goes straight into the bank. I have not yet been able to overcome the need to have savings to afford me a simple, relatively stress-free existence, at least as far as having my basic needs covered. I recently gave away all but the most essential items in my life, and hope to do more soon. Being tied to material objects weighs me down, causes me stress, and makes my life feel cluttered.

When I shop, I do so only out of necessity. I go straight for the items I need and leave as quickly as possible.
You are preparing to act out a plan?

·
Super Moderator
11,651 Posts
Retail therapy is what I call it. I have done this to a certain level myself in the past.

·
Super Moderator
11,651 Posts
Oh I love to buy stuff whenever I go out. I think I have a tendency to collect things. Although I have about 1,000 books or so, I still keep buying them even though I have no more space in my cupboards or shelves; so they just pile up on my tables. Part of the problem is I like to have my own library where I can just reach out and refer to whenever I need information on something. I also keep buying comics weekly; as I need to find inspiration. :p Not to mention action figures and collectibles of whoever or whatever I happen to fancy at the moment.

There are times when I go out and don't get anything new at all; like today, because I have bought everything I wanted to get already. I feel kind of odd when I don't have a new acquisition. Maybe I should focus more on appreciating what I do have and hiding all my money. :tongue:
I love books, as well. I have a hard time not buying one.I even have a list at amazon.com LOL
Now days, I don't have much money....
Like you, I like to be able to grab one in the moment when a thought has popped into my mind. I actually have a few action figures (very small ones), as well as other types of figures like Toy Story etc. :wink:

PS Writing instruments and paper are mediums that I must have!

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
I love books, as well. I have a hard time not buying one.I even have a list at amazon.com LOL
Now days, I don't have much money....
I have wishlists on Amazon too hehe. Mine are organised into: Books, Music, Movies.

PS Writing instruments and paper are mediums that I must have!
Yep I love my 'pretty' pens and blank journals. :crazy:

·
Super Moderator
11,651 Posts
I've never been the sort of person to splash out on my appearance - shoes, bag and clothes etc...but books..I love books! If I go past a shop where I know there will be books I have to have a look 'just in case' I find something. Sometimes I just like to stand and look at theme or touch them. I must sound like a complete weirdo!

Not just books for reading either! I love pretty blank journals. They are like jewels. I imagine all the things I could write in them :crazy:
Nope, not a weirdo at all. I get lost when I get around books! :wink:

My favoirte journals are the leather bound ones...so smooth to touch; the smell is earthy! Now, who sounds weird! :laughing:

Nope, I don't spend much on clothes & that such. I dress simple~~levis and usually plain color shirt (evey now & then a tame pattern), but I do love sterling silver. I love my rings! I wear many when I do put them on. :wink:

Reactions: The Vizier

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Nope, not a weirdo at all. I get lost when I get around books! :wink:

My favoirte journals are the leather bound ones...so smooth to touch; the smell is earthy! Now, who sounds weird! :laughing:

Nope, I don't spend much on clothes & that such. I dress simple~~levis and usually plain color shirt (evey now & then a tame pattern), but I do love sterling silver. I love my rings! I wear many when I do put them on. :wink:
Yes leather journals are beautiful! I have also found some hardback journals that have really pretty covers. They are very good quality and are made by Paperblanks: Paperblanks

·
Retard
16,329 Posts
Shopaholic

I shop for emotions
That ones on sale
Too cheap
I want quality of emotion
I look for them in high end places
The ENFP prepares the needle
She sticks me with it
Instanly,the rush!