Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Come one come all! I'm playing around with a scenario based typing questionaire and would absolutely LOVE you all to test it out and see how well it works... as well as provide any feedback and perspectives on any bias that may be evident. The end result should be fairly efficient and clear at evaluating type... if it works the way I intend it.

SCENARIO 1​

FOCUS ON YOUR FEELING PROCESS HERE

Your significant other just ended your 2 year relationship quite suddenly and with no apparent explanation. Up until this point you had both been talking about marriage and last week you even went to look at rings together. Now he/she won't even return your phone calls or texts. After talking with his/her family you find out that he/she has just been diagnosed with terminal stage 4 cancer.​

- Describe how this scenario would make you feel as well as what sort of influences and motivations lie behind those feelings. Why do you feel the way you do?

- Imagine those feelings as a physical location on you body, where on your body would you say those feelings are located?

SCENARIO 2

FOCUS ON YOUR FEELING PROCESS HERE

You are in college and this semester both you and your room mate end up in the same class together. You and your room mate get along fairly well and the living situation works but you aren't particularly close. You both typically do your own thing and are rather indifferent to each other. As the semester progresses you excel and become one of the top students in the class whereas your room mate is struggling significantly to grasp the material. The professor assigns a fairly challenging take home test that is a significant portion of your grade. He/she makes it clear that while it is open book, students are to work alone. Later your room mate comes to you begging for help after struggling with the test most of the weekend. You have already completed the assignment and he/she isn't asking to copy your answers, just to help tutor and mentor them as they struggle to complete the test, so there is no way your professor would ever know. However, this is the first time your room-mate has asked you for help this semester. He/she makes it clear that how they do on this test could mean the difference between passing and failing this class.​

- How do you respond to your room mate's request and why?

- Describe your decision making process / what influenced you in making the decision as well as how you would you define what is right / wrong in this scenario and why?

SCENARIO 3​

FOCUS ON YOUR LOGIC AND THINKING PROCESS HERE

Your boss calls you into his/her office in order to assign you to a new project. He/she gives you a choice between two.

Project 1 is a rather broad, expansive project covering multiple areas of company operations. It has the potential to have a very significant impact on company operations but it would require a collective effort and an extensive amount of group brainstorming, problem solving, and logically working through the project along side the group of individuals your boss has also assigned to it.

Project 2 has a much more specific and narrow focus and would require a significant amount of in depth individual analysis to work through the problem. You would be working alone and the completion of the project may or may not have much impact on company operations. However, after complete the process and problem you were working on will be streamlined and fundamentally understood.

- Which project appeals to you the most, as it relates to the way you prefer to logically process information? Why?

- Describe your thought process / what influenced you in making the choice as well as what aspects of either project appeal to you and why?

SCENARIO 4

FOCUS ON THE SOURCES YOU DRAW ENERGY FROM HERE

It has been a very long week and you feel drained, but good news! It is Saturday and you have nothing significant that needs to be done. You FINALLY have some free time to yourself to recharge your batteries and do whatever you want.​

- Describe what sort of activities would help you recharge and that you would enjoy doing after a long week and why?

SCENARIO 5

FOCUS ON THINKING VS FEELING HERE

You have a meeting with your college career counselor to discuss potential careers that interest you. He/she offers you two categories.

CATEGORY 1 - Artist, Actor, Musician, Counselor, Teacher, Psychologist, Clergy, Child Care

CATEGORY 2 - Scientist, Engineer, Lawyer, Entrepreneur, Manager, Computer Programer / Analyst, Medical Doctor

- Which category most appeals to you and what is it about the careers in that category that are appealing?

- Was it difficult or easy to decide between the two categories and why?

- What specific careers most appealed to you across both categories and why?

SCENARIO 6

You are having a nice conversation with one or two close friends. There is a lull in the conversation and there is the opportunity for someone to steer it onto a new topic of their choice.

- Describe some topics that interest you which you might try to bring up in this setting or that you would hope someone else would bring up.

- What about these topics captures your interest?

SCENARIO 7

You are the manager and an employee has just presented you two courses of action pertaining to a project you had him/her working on. You need to make a decision on which course of action to implement.

COA 1: Highly efficient and effective, gets the job done and saves time and resources doing so, however a few of the company's policies will have to be bent or broken to accomplish this course of action. Bending these particular policies could possibly cause temporary risk to company resources while the COA is being implemented however, once complete it would go back to business as usual.

COA 2: Safe and works directly in line and adheres to all company policies however this course of action is not nearly as efficient and effective as COA 1. It will still get the job done but will cost the company much more time and resources to accomplish.

- Which course of action would you choose and why?

- Describe your thought process / what influenced you as you make this decision as well as how would you define what is right / wrong in this scenario?

What each scenario is designed to asses and how the test is used to determine type is answered below:

Scenario 1:

The feelings described should be used to assess Fi vs Fe. If the feelings expressed seem to be more connected to / influenced by / or a projection of what the significant other could be feeling then that points to Fe. If they seem to be centered more around how they feel in response to their significant other's actions and independent of their SO's feelings then that points to Fi.

On the second part, generally an Fi user would describe powerful feelings as being located more towards the head signifying they are more conscious, on the surface, and internally accessible. Generally an Fe user would describe powerful feelings as being located near the heart, chest, or even stomach area signifying they are less conscious, more deeply buried, and less accessible internally.

Scenario 2:

This scenario is again used to assess Fi vs Fe. If the decision seems more influenced by how the outcome would affect their room mate then that points more to an Fe based judgement. If the decision seems more influenced by doing what they percieve is right then that points to an Fi based judgement.

The second part is used to clarify the answer and ensure the assessor understands how the individual defines right or wrong.

Scenario 3:

This scenario is used to assess Ti vs Te. A Ti user would be more apt to choose to work alone and have the opportunity to logically work through a problem in order to fundamentally understand it. A Te user would prefer to work on a project that would have a meaningful real world effect as well as work in a group that is brainstorming and externalizing the thinking process.

** At this point you should clearly know whether they are Fe/Ti or Fi/Te. It should narrow things down to 8 possible types

Scenario 4:

This scenario should assess introversion vs extroversion. Individuals will naturally choose activities that feed their energy reservior. If the individual chooses group type activities that put them in a social setting around other people then that signifies extroversion. If the individual chooses individual activities that would be on their own with little or no social interaction then that signifies introversion

** At this point you would know that thier primary funtion will either be introverted or extroverted. It should narrow things down to 4 possible types

Scenario 5:

This scenario is used to assess the strength of their feeling function vs their thinking function. Category 1 are common professions across all of the primary and auxilary feeling types. Category 2 are common professions across all of the primary and auxilary thinking types. If the individual is able to make a clear decision then that most likely points to their thinking/feeling function being primary. If it is a little more difficult then that points to an Auxiliary / Tertiary paring of their Thinking / Feeling function.

** At this point you should have a clear picture of whether they are more of a feeler or a thinker as well as determining if their dominant one is primary or auxilary. It should narrow things further to 2-4 possible types.

Scenario 6:

This is the first scenario used to assess which temperment they belong to. People naturally like to talk about what they are interested in. This is designed to assess whether their interests gravitate towards concrete things or abstract things. Concrete being object and reality based, Abstract being possibility and idea based.

Scenario 7:

This is the second scenario used to assess which temperment they belong to. When taking action and trying to accomplish their goals people generally fall in to two categories: Utilitarian vs Cooperative. Utilitarian is focused more on the most effecient and effective way to accomplish things. Cooperative is more focused on doing what is considered right. Obviously people make decisions based on both of these areas however this scenario and the questions are designed to reveal which one they gravitate towards.

Temperment Key:

Guardians: SJ - Concrete / Cooperative
Rationals: NT - Abstract / Utilitarian
Idealists: NF - Abstract / Cooperative
Artisans: SP - Concrete / Utilitarian

How you would determine type based on this info:

1- Scenario 1-3: Determind Fi/Fe Ti/Te
ex:
Individual is Fe/Ti
Possible Types: ENFJ,INFJ,ESFJ,ISFJ,ENTP,INTP,ESTP,ISTP

Individual is Fi/Te
Possible Types: ENFP,INFP,ESFP,ISFP,ENTJ,INTJ,ESTJ,ISTJ

2- Scenario 4: Determine introversion / extroversion
ex:
Individual is introverted and Fe/Ti, Primary functions could be Ti, Si, Ni
Possible Types: INFJ,ISFJ,INTP,ISTP

Individual is introverted and Fi/Te, Primary functions could be Fi, Si, Ni
Possible Types: INFP,ISFP,INTJ,ISTJ

Individual is extroverted and Fe/Ti, Primary functions could be Fe, Se, Ne
Possible Types: ENFJ, ESFJ, ENTP, ESTP

Individual is extroverted and Fi/Te, Primary functions could be Te, Se, Ne
Possible Types: ENFP,ESFP,ENTJ,ESTJ

3- Scenario 5: Determine dominance on Thinking vs Feeling
ex: By this point you should get the picture... I'll only use one example

Individual is Fe/Ti, introverted, and prefers F over T... so Fe must be auxilary / Ti must be tertiary and either Si or Ni are primary
Possible Types: ISFJ/INFJ

If F over T is unclear then you would still be stuck at the previous step of having four possible types, hence the next two scenarios.

4- Scenario 6-7: Determine Concrete vs Abstract and Utilitarian vs Cooperative in order to determine temperament

ex: Individual is Fe/Ti, introverted, F over T, and Abstract / Cooperative = NF
Possible Type: INFJ

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
The obvious problem is what to do if a person doesn't neatly fit a Fe-Ti/Fi-Te box after Q3 - it's too much of an assumption to expect everyone to clearly evince the "right" combinations here, especially for people for whom one of the judging functions is inferior. There's too much scope - especially in Scenario 2, but somewhat in 1 and 3 - for functions not being tested for to influence responses. I would also criticise the use of Kiersey temperaments, since it's not a like-for-like type comparison, but at least the method in which they're integrated here is like-for-like...

I found, for instance, that my first two responses conformed to Fi>Fe, but my third was very clearly Ti>Te:

For Scenario 1, I focused on my own feelings in relation to the matter - I described being perturbed by the lack of response to calls/messages, shocked at the news of the cancer, upset that a fledgling relationship will be cut short by terminal illness, and interested to know why my SO might want to conceal the terminal illness from me - I wrote nothing about the other person's state of mind, since obviously I haven't talked to them and can't gauge that truly yet. ("Where on the body is the feeling located?" makes no sense to me as a question, so I gave no answer).

For Scenario 2, I have no direct qualms about helping my roommate, although I would avoid as much as possible directly helping with the test - it would be more use, in any case, to aid him/her with understanding the concepts and how to apply them to given problems, since their passing/failing the course should be contingent on what they are capable of. Really, what is "working" alone - how far does that extend? So I would take an advisory approach that I wouldn't deem "working" on the test, but I've no qualms with helping out provided I have nothing else I might wish to be doing.

For Scenario 3, working solely from the information provided about the two projects, Project #2 seems superior in every facet to me - working alone, going in-depth on a specified problem, less risk in terms of its impact on company operations, individual analysis... of course, I'd need to know more about the specific problems to make a proper choice, but on what's provided, #2 is substantially preferable to #1.

And then the rest of my responses, summarised...

My response to Scenario 4 was entirely solitary - browsing the web, doing as little as possible...

My first thought on Scenario 5 was, "Why am I being offered these categories at all? That seems an awfully limited way to look at career counselling. Is there another counsellor?" I could find careers that interested me and careers that very much didn't in both categories, so it was hard to make a decision between categories at all - in the end, I went with Category 2, since those in the first category were mostly more people-oriented...

I gave a rather mixed response to Scenario 6 that I wouldn't call particularly conclusive - anything I'm interested in might be discussed, depending on the sort of conversation I might expect from the other person in relation to those topics (I'm more inclined to discuss political systems, or philosophical conundrums, with some people, but talk, say, sport and music with others - both types of topic can interest me, so it's a matter of what sort of conversation I'm in the mood for, and what sort of conversation I can expect from my conversation partner(s)). Alternatively, I may not try to steer discussion at all - it would depend on if I actually had something I particularly wanted to discuss or not as to whether I would choose to use the opportunity to redirect conversation or not.

Scenario 7, I thought was quite an interesting one. I didn't commit to either COA1 or COA2, but my reasoning was that, whilst COA1 may be more efficient in relation to this specific scenario, the bending/breaking of the rules has the potential (clearly flagged in the question) to impact upon enforcement of policy in the future. If possible, given that the policies are impeding efficient and effective business practice, perhaps the policies ought to be amended. In isolation, COA1 is preferable, but it has potentially detrimental long-term effects when the picture is viewed as a whole, so the question is difficult to answer without further information. But I would say this response does lean to utilitarian over co-operative...

Based on that:
1, 2 - Fi
3 - Ti
4 - I
5 - T (aux)
6 - S/N tie
7 - SP/NT

So what would be the approach to a result like that, where responses don't provide the expected conclusions? My answers lean to both Fi and Ti - I'm introverted, yet Scenario 5 suggests T is probably auxiliary, but then S/N (one of which ought to be dominant if T is auxiliary) is unclear also. Scenario 7 doesn't really help much in this regard...

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
First off @StunnedFox thanks so much for the great feedback! As well as being my first victim er um... participant :tongue: INTP's are awesome analysts.

I admit the Fi/Ti combo would throw me off initially but the Fi result could also be indicitive of your clear introversion as well as your F function being inferior and thus harder to assess and pin down. Your scenario 2 answer hinted at Fe though however you found a way to try and blurr the lines and meet the intent of both what the professor wanted and what your room mate wanted. That is a very utilitarian / effective solution lol. Sounds like Scenario 1 could certainly use some refinement though but I will wait to see if any non-inferior feelers decide to play first. Out of the three chances though one should nail the person down as either clearly either Fe/Fi or Te/Ti. Scenario 3 did it as far as you are concerned.

Scenario 4... duh. At this point Fe/Fi Te/Ti might be a little ambiguous however with the hinting of Fe in Scenario 2 as well as the clear Ti in Scenario 3 would push me more towards Fe/Ti. Majority would rule hear and the reasons for the Fi response in Scenario 1 could be explained as we continue to narrow things down.

Scenario 5... yes that is a very stupid way to counsel someone in possible careers... but that is entirely beside the point lol. **Edit** didn't read closely enough. So T is clear but aux T vs primary T is ambiguous, however being that you were very clearly introverted and Ti in previous questions... this would help me put you as primary Ti type because aux Ti would mean you were an extrovert. Additionally the very clear Ti result and the ambiguous / hard to assess Fe/Fi result would reinforce this. Being clearly introverted would make the choices either ISTP or INTP. Scenario 4 and 5 kind of work in conjunction to determine the same thing as long as you have a fairly clear assesment as to which is introverted and which is extroverted out of F and T.

Scenario 6... your response actually hinted at something a little different than what I was trying to assess. I got some Fe out of your decision to default to whatever the person you were with would want to talk about. Political systems and philisophical conundrums are very clearly abstract though. This scenario probably could use some refinement though as there is an underlying assumption / bias that you clearly pointed out. I'm assuming that the person would even want to try and steer the conversation... something some introverted types would be much less likely to try and do.

Scenario 7: Very clearly utilitarian here. I may need to modify the scenario to clarify that the policies are long established and proven processes as well as clarify that the bending / breaking of said policies is only temporary and necessary while the COA is being implimented, once implimented it would go back to business as usual. Your inclination towards COA 1 and your decision to fix the policies that inhibit efficiency and effectiveness clearly puts your focus more towards utilitarian.

Like you said I would probably be stuck between ISTP and INTP here having not been able to nail you down on abstract vs concrete... I may lean more towards INTP though... just because it says that under your name :tongue:

Thanks again and great input!

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to answer my own questionnaire...

Scenario 1

Initially very hurt and confused at being shut out... Not quite sure how I feel other than being in pain at loosing her so suddenly and mysteriously. I would probably wrack my brain tring to speculate what her motivation was. Once I discovered she has terminal cancer I would probably be imagining that she might be feeling like she doesn't want to hold me back from happiness and finding someone since she obviously wouldn't be around for much longer. I would also imagine that she might be feeling very lost, alone, and depressed intitally at the thought of facing immenent death. I would have a deep need and desire to stay by her side and support her until the end because of this. For me powerful feelings very clearly manifest in my chest area... and when under a lot of stress or pain they actually do affect me physically.

Scenario 2
I would definitely be inclinde to help mentor my room mate and would probably feel much more guilty later if I had the capability to help him but didn't and he failed because of it. Going against the professors rules would rub me the wrong way, but not enough to cause me not to help him. The fact that he hasn't asked me for help all semester when he was obviously struggling would also rub me the wrong way but again, I would probably overlook that given the effect not helping him could have on his life. My view of right or wrong is very focused on what the effect would be on the people involved... not on what someone else has dictated or defined as right.

Scenario 3
Yeah definitely let me work on the project alone. Don't really care about how great the effect on the company would be, but given the chance to go off on my own, analyze through a problem, and fundamentally break it down to a core understanding... yes please! Brainstorming in a group doesn't appeal to me at all and neither does the expansiveness of the project. I enjoy things with a clear and specific focus that I can drill down deep into.

Scenario 4
Browse the PerC forums, read a book, watch one of my favorite TV shows... I definitely need alone time doing things that interest me and that I enjoy in order to recharge.

Scenario 5
VERY hard for me to choose here. Artist, Musician, Counselor, Teacher, Psychologist appeals to me... especially Psychologist... however so does Scientist, Enginieer, Computer Programmer / Analyst. I would possibly very VERY slightly lean towards category 1 due to the creative / people centered aspect of it. The technical / logical / analytical aspects of category two are very appealing too however. Psychologist really appeals to me because it encompasses both of those aspects.

Scenario 6
I like to theorize, talk about what if scenarios... politics, world issues, philisophical debates are all things that interest me. I could care less about things like sports. I may talk about my favorite TV shows or activites / hobbies that interest me.

Scenario 7
I would be very very torn here. Efficiency and effectiveness is very important to me however I would probably be to affraid to go against company policies in order to risk implementing COA 1. Plus I really wouldn't want to set a bad example or precedent. So initially I would probably choose COA 2 but then go back and try to fix the policies that prevented me from choosing the more effective and efficient choice.

So based on all that who wants to feed the info into my key and type me?

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
@Jinsei -

Firstly, thanks for the deconstruction of my responses to the scenarios. I do think that functions being inferior is going to be a standard issue that crops up with these scenarios - and, as you alluded to, someone's position on I/E could confound the search for whether the person is using an specific I-oriented or E-oriented function. I'd be interested to see how this plays out with Scenario 3 - I leant strongly to one side on that, but I wonder whether IxTJ and ExTP types might not respond to that question in quite the way you'd expect Ti and Te to respond to it. As an aside, is there any particular reason for having two F-related questions but only one T?

I wonder whether it's Fe in Scenario 6 or not - I guess you could say that being attuned to what the other person might want to converse on is more reminiscent of Fe than Fi, but the principal motivation is that meaningful conversation can be had: what point turning the conversation to a topic I know the other person can offer nothing on? I tend to find there's a bit of a blur between what is an abstract or a concrete topic, since I think you can approach any topic in either fashion (although most lend themselves to one more than the other), but I do think it's primarily situational for me, which does make S/N hard to discern on this question. I actually think Scenario 7 is the best of the seven (although maybe that's because it was the hardest to see what it might have been getting at), so I don't think it needs modifying. Without the breach potentially being a problem down the track, you essentially remove all reason for following the policy at all - would a person of a "co-operative" type really still stick to the policy, with no reason to do so other than that it's the policy?

Is there a reason why you focus on T/F functions (Scenarios 1, 2 and 3), but don't look at all to perceiving functions (there's the S/N question, and the Kiersey question, but nothing aiming to split Se/Si or Ne/Ni)?

I do think you can fairly easily "explain" my supposed Fi response to the first scenario, but it does show up the looseness of this approach - it can't be as simple as "that's the Fi answer, so you're an Fi type". Interestingly, I find most questions where people focus on functions carry an undue S/N aspect - focusing too much on the "concreteness" of extraverted functions and the "abstractness" of introverted functions - but I think these scenarios instead get unwanted interference from the I/E dimension generally, where introverts will prefer the introverted function answers to some degree and extraverts the extraverted function answers. Given that, perhaps the best approach to interpreting answers is actually to look at Scenario 4 first, so you know what factors other than the one being searched for might be at play in the answers of the unsuspecting victim"participant"...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Here are my answers:

At first (when they abruptly end the relationship) I would be confused and probably immediately worried that something was wrong with the other person, or that they were having an affair. After I found out why they ended the relationship, I would feel incredibly sad and lonely with a huge sense of loss, both for myself and for them.

-My throat. Whenever I get really upset about something my throat aches like I have strep.

I would help them. I wouldn't give them the answers, but I would do my best to help them understand why they're not understanding the material and see if I could translate the material in a way that makes sense to them. This is actually a role I've played more than once, though not in college.

-My thought process is simply that some people have trouble learning certain things in certain ways and formal education really doesn't allow for that truth. Some people need every little thing explained to them, some need metaphors or for you to relate the material back to them using something they already know as a comparison. If a teacher can't accommodate them and I can, I don't see why I shouldn't help. I don't know why it would be wrong, honestly. I don't even really know what to say about the rightness or wrongness of it. I mean, the teacher says to work alone, but who really cares? It isn't his money and grade on the line, is it?

I would choose project 1. I like the idea that the project could be so important to the operation of the company.

-Which is clearly what I don't like about project 2. The idea that it may or may not be important to the company makes me feel lukewarm about it. I wouldn't want to feel like I wasted my time on something insignificant. That's pretty much all I'm thinking of. I could work alone or with people, doing detail work or brainstorming, pretty easily either way. If pushed I guess I would say that aside from importance, I do like that the first project would have me talking to people and brainstorming. That can really be a lot of fun.

I would do something like go to a museum or art gallery and take my time walking around, looking at the exhibits. I would do something like that because I find that learning something new and being exposed to something new (as long as it's not ridiculously crazy-like going to a theme park) helps wipe away the stress that I've just been through. It takes my mind away to someplace else and allows me to forget the stress.

Category 2. The careers are appealing because they're problem solving careers, I guess. I wanted to say because they're thinking careers, but I know as well as anyone that there isn't a career that isn't a thinking career.

-It was very easy to choose. I guess in the long run I don't value self-expression as a life goal. At least not for me. For other people, definitely. As far as the counselor/clergy careers, as much as I like helping people, I think they would be draining after a while, emotionally. I'm not sure if I would find the right kind of emotional/intellectual balance that I would like in them.

-Lawyer and medical doctor from category 2, because they are problem solving careers and you still get to help people. From category 1, psychologist, for the same reason.

I would likely bring up some things that we could do together in the future and try to make some plans, or talk about something that someone else was doing. The first captures my interest because I like trying new things and I like doing them with people I enjoy being around. The second just because I guess it seems like a normal thing for me to talk about. "Did you hear about..." kind of stuff. I would also probably talk about something new that I just discovered. A great book, TV show or recipe. Spread the word, you know.

COA 1, because if the policies it bends or breaks aren't hugely important...then they aren't that important. The payoff would probably be worth the risk.

-Well, really the same as what I said. The rules aren't that important, so the reward is worth the risk. What influenced me is the thought of how silly it would be to cost the company a whole lot of money in order to follow a rule that's basically there for filling. I don't necessarily think it would be wrong to follow all the rules, just inefficient and tedious. I also don't necessarily think it's right to break the rules, just more efficient.

1. Fi? I'm not sure. I would be obviously concerned for them, but I don't know if my reaction shows concern about what they're feeling, rather than my feelings glued onto them.
2. Again, not sure. Probably Fe.
3. Te
4. Introvert? My chosen activity puts me out in the world around other people, but interacting with something, not someone. I must be good at giving ambiguous answers.
5. So dominant Te, which invalidates the introvert thing. Of course, helping people was still on my list regardless-maybe that points more to Te/Fi being aux/tert.
6. Concrete? I did mention possibilities, as far as doing something with friends, as well as ideas with the book/TV show thing (depending on how the conversation goes). But they were all concrete things. It wasn't like "What would the world be like if Napoleon had never lost?"
7. Utilitarian.

That would make me an SP, which I really couldn't be with Te aux or dom. Correct me if I did it wrong.

I'm not surprised that the feeling questions were a lot more ambiguous than the thinking questions. Whether I use Fe or Te is something that I'm struggling with now, though I'm leaning more towards Te.

I really liked this questionnaire. Even if I did it right and the answers didn't come out quite perfect, I appreciate the forward looking stance you take (what would you do rather than what have you done). For me, especially just being 23, it helps to have what I would do divorced from what I had to do. I also think that the questions were doing a pretty good job for me until the Kiersey thing. I think especially with the Utilitarian label, it's good to keep in mind that utility vs. cooperation might be more of a T vs. F thing. That (supposedly) works fine for NFs and NTs, but not so much for SJs or SPs.

Anyways, just my two cents. Thank you for the effort you put into this! It was fun to fill out.

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@LavenderMoon

I got a lot of Fe out of both scenario 1 and 2 which kind of conflicts with the Te result from scenario 3

Scenario 4 was a little ambiguous for me but leaning towards introvert because even though it was in a puplic situation you didn't mention being there with friends and your reasons were based on individual interests that didn't really require social interaction

Scenario 5 was very interesting that you chose the T type professions however your desire for emotional/intellectual balance leans toward T and F being close in strength. Primary Fe would definitely be out of the question as well as primary Ti. Aux Te or Fe would still be possible here though. I would be leaning more towards Fe/Ti based on your first 3 answers. Usually at least one comes out clear between Ti/Te and Fi/Fe. Your preference for group brainstorming could be influenced by Fe since your focus seemed to be having an impact on the company and by extension other people. You also described group work as fun because you get to talk to other people. This seems more based on how you feel about being around other people rather than how your thinking process actually operates whether in a group or on your own. Scenarios 1-3 point to you leading with mostly feelings however you chose the T type professions... interesting.

Scenario 6 the talk about future plans might throw me a little initially but you are right, pretty concrete answer

Scenario 7 yes you chose the utilitarian response however my scenario might need some refinement. What sort of situation would you choose what you consider is right over efficiency/effectiveness?

So after all this I would lean towards Fe/Ti with them being an aux / tert combo. Clearly an s type due to being concrete vs abstract. ISTP doesn't fit however because T and F are primary / inferior... neither does ISFP because of the Fi/Te as well as them being primary / inferior. The only one that fits best is ISFJ with a slight possibility of ISTJ if you are Fi/Te instead.

·
Registered
941 Posts

Come one come all! I'm playing around with a scenario based typing questionaire and would absolutely LOVE you all to test it out and see how well it works... as well as provide any feedback and perspectives on any bias that may be evident. The end result should be fairly efficient and clear at evaluating type... if it works the way I intend it.

SCENARIO 1​

Your significant other just ended your 2 year relationship quite suddenly and with no apparent explanation. Up until this point you had both been talking about marriage and last week you even went to look at rings together. Now he/she won't even return your phone calls or texts. After talking with his/her family you find out that he/she has just been diagnosed with terminal stage 4 cancer.​

- Describe how this scenario would make you feel.

- Imagine those feelings as a physical location on you body, where on your body would you say those feelings are located?

SCENARIO 2

You are in college and this semester both you and your room mate end up in the same class together. You and your room mate get along fairly well and the living situation works but you aren't particularly close. You both typically do your own thing and are rather indifferent to each other. As the semester progresses you excel and become one of the top students in the class whereas your room mate is struggling significantly to grasp the material. The professor assigns a fairly challenging take home test that is a significant portion of your grade. He/she makes it clear that while it is open book, students are to work alone. Later your room mate comes to you begging for help after struggling with the test most of the weekend. You have already completed the assignment and he/she isn't asking to copy your answers, just to help tutor and mentor them as they struggle to complete the test, so there is no way your professor would ever know. However, this is the first time your room-mate has asked you for help this semester. He/she makes it clear that how they do on this test could mean the difference between passing and failing this class.​

- Describe your thought process / what influenced you in making the decision as well as how you would you define what is right / wrong in this scenario and why?

SCENARIO 3​

Your boss calls you into his/her office in order to assign you to a new project. He/she gives you a choice between two.

Project 1 is a rather broad, expansive project covering multiple areas of company operations. It has the potential to have a very significant impact on company operations but it would require a collective effort and an extensive amount of brainstorming, problem solving, and logically working through the project along side the group of individuals your boss has also assigned to it.

Project 2 has a much more specific and narrow focus and would require a significant amount of in depth individual analysis to work through the problem. You would be working alone and the completion of the project may or may not have much impact on company operations. However, after complete the process and problem you were working on will be streamlined and fundamentally understood.

- Which project appeals to you the most and why?

- Describe your thought process / what influenced you in making the decision as well as what aspects of either project appeal to you and why?

SCENARIO 4

It has been a very long week and you feel drained, but good news! It is Saturday and you have nothing significant that needs to be done. You FINALLY have some free time to yourself to recharge your batteries and do whatever you want.​

- Describe what sort of activities would help you recharge and that you would enjoy doing after a long week and why?

SCENARIO 5

You have a meeting with your college career counselor to discuss potential careers that interest you. He/she offers you two categories.

CATEGORY 1 - Artist, Actor, Musician, Counselor, Teacher, Psychologist, Clergy, Child Care

CATEGORY 2 - Scientist, Engineer, Lawyer, Entrepreneur, Manager, Computer Programer / Analyst, Medical Doctor

- Which category most appeals to you and what is it about the careers in that category that are appealing?

SCENARIO 6

You are having a nice conversation with one or two close friends. There is a lull in the conversation and you have the opportunity to steer it onto a new topic of your choice.

- Describe some topics that interest you which you might try to bring up in this setting.

SCENARIO 7

You are the manager and an employee has just presented you two courses of action pertaining to a project you had him/her working on. You need to make a decision on which course of action to implement.

COA 1: Highly efficient and effective, gets the job done and saves time and resources doing so, however a few of the company's policies will have to be bent or broken to accomplish this course of action. Bending these particular policies won't cause any significant risk to your employees or to the company's operations, but if word gets out it could set a precedent and cause a challenge for you to enforce company policies in the future.

COA 2: Works directly in line and adheres to all company policies however this course of action is not nearly as efficient and effective as COA 1. It will still get the job done but will cost the company much more time and resources to accomplish.

- Describe your thought process / what influenced you as you make this decision as well as how would you define what is right / wrong in this scenario?
1-first i'd feel rejected and upset, possibly angry but also a little mad at myself and wondering if it was my fault. after i find that they have cancer i'd change and may feel guilty about being upset before
-i guess i'd have to say chest area, as my heart would beat faster, that's usually where i feel anxiety

2--the way they approached me would mean a lot. i am usually respectful of other people and i don't like to ask them for something too much, or bother them, so the fact that they were struggling so bad and just asked for help now is important. if they weren't nice about it i would have been less willing to help. but even before i would have been willing to reach out. i would not complete the test with them, just tutor them before. the teacher said it should be take home and that would be helping someone cheat which then puts me at a disadvantage as well... so the most i would be willing to do is help review concepts, but nothing too close to the cheating

3-project 2. i don't think i like projects where you have to research so many different things, i'd rather just focus on one at the time and make it good. it also seems easier and i'd be working on it alone. it seems like the better option to pick if i had to

4-listen to music, go on the internet and read things or watch TV are what i'd do for sure. maybe mix up here and there if i get bored, i like play around with my house

5-Category 2 and it's because of the money aspect - plus i'm good at math/physics/chemistry, i like science
-easier to decide, category 2 pays much better :laughing: the professions also seem more fun. well ok except for entrepreneur, computer programmer, medical doctor. but from the other category there was artist, musician, clergy, childcare worker and actor.... noo. i could not be an artist or musician or actor for the rest of my life (not enough creativity or energy), and clergy/childcare worker sounds very boring. i wouldn't mind art as a side hobby though
-i like psychologist/counselor, teacher (but not a traditional kind, maybe more like a tutor), engineer, lawyer

6-i'd try to bring up something random to talk about. i couldn't say right now but it would probably be stupid :wink:
humor about the topic might catch my interest, as well as some discussion aspects, i like to speculate about things.

7-i think i'd probably go with COA 2, tempted by #1. if word gets out that we broke the policies it could be dangerous and the other employees would start breaking them, i'd be a bad manager. plus it's pretty unfair if others have to play by the rules and we don't. it's not like we are doing anything wrong by going with #2. however if the efficiency and cost was SO SO great i wouldn't mind cutting a few small policies, because if word got out then i'd have a good justification

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@StunnedFox I have 2 feeling and 1 thinking just to have an odd number of questions so an ambiguous or false positive on one would be negated hopefully by the other two. I suppose adding another thinking question might help clarify things even more.

I focus on thinking and feeling because to me they seem much easier to assess than Se/Si vs Ne/Ni... intuition especially can be very difficult to pinpoint and understand. Also with the utilization of temperments at the end it is really only neccessary to look at T/F in the beginning.

Very true on scenario 6... you can turn virtually any topic into something concrete or abstract... which is why I have the "what about these topics captures your interest" although maybe I should change that to why instead of what.

I was actually just thinking myself I should put scenario 4 first. You are right it is a very loose and subjective approach which is why each scenario has questions tied to how and why the decisions were made... getting into the thought process etc. This is for the very reason that I/E could be influencing the outcome... there are some general guidelines and things to look for in each one and the answers may not all line up and be perfect. But when you combine all of the info together you should be able to logically whittle it down and get at least one or two clear possibilities for their type.

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@idoh

1- Initially i was leaning towards Fi however the second half pointed toward the possibility of Fe

2- Again ambiguous however I'm leaning towards Fe

3- Seems clear Ti to me so after the first three I would lean to Fe/Ti

4- Seems clear introvert to me

5- Interesting choice given your actual type... may need to redo this scenario or throw it out all together. Doesn't seem like a good gauge of T vs F

6- Very ambigous here... can't really say whether you are abstract of concrete. Not enough info on the actual specific topics that interest you.

7- Slight ambiguity here but seems pretty cooperative which is very interesting since SP's are concrete utilitarian...

So based on your answers I would say either INTP or ISTP... however it seems that is not very accurate at all being an Fi/Te introverted dominant F type who is a concrete utilitarian ISFP... hrm

·
Registered
196 Posts
1. well I have never been in a relationship but if I had to imagine, at first before I found out about the cancer I'd be pretty sad and really confused. I'd be wondering what I did wrong and how this happened. I'd feel pretty hopeless if I couldn't contact them because I just would be left in limbo. When I find out about the cancer, I'd be shattered and probably numb when I find out. I'd try to help and tell him that I'll be there but I'll just always be thinking of how much I'll miss him. They'd be located everywhere at first but probably in my chest.

2. I'd help, like uni work is super important and can mean the different between a degree and a future so I'd help them out. My thought process would be that even though I might not necessarily want them to beat me in the exam/I don't want to get found out it's important to them and like I said their future. The right thing for the scenario is that it's important to be caring and understanding and realise that people aren't in the same situation as me and it's not hurting anyone. What is wrong is that it's kind of going against what the professor said.

3. Project 1 appeals more because it has a big impact and I don't mind working with people as long as things actually happen and they are up to a good standard, plus it could be fun. I also don't mind problem solving, like it can be confusing at times but I've never had to give in, the problem will be solved eventually. Thought process is pretty much what I typed.

4. Well this is basically me right now TGIF. I'll probably watch some movies, hang with friends, go on the internet, just do relaxing things and also I have sport on saturdays.

5. Category 1 appeals most because I've always wanted to be an actor and I'm going to count artist as a writer as well. They're more creative and I'm much better at the creative side of my brain. However, it was pretty difficult to choose because I'm also interested in law, medicine and even being an entrepreneur. It's actually split right down the middle, 3 from category 1 and 3 from category 2. The careers I mentioned before appeal to me because I'm good at that stuff and am interested in it.

6. I'd probably bring up something like celebrity news or things I've heard lately. I don't have specific topics that I talk on. Maybe like this MBTI stuff or i don't know really. All topics interest me because they generally relate to everything and there is always something to talk about.

7. The first COA. It seems to have more pros than cons and even if rules get broken, you can just enforce them later. In the lon run the first plan seems better. I think that if something gets the job done and its effective and it doesn't really hurt anyone than it's fine. I don';t apply that necessarily to life but in this situation I think it's fine. EDIT: Actually, I wonder if I would break the rules. I'm not sure if I would but thinking about the scenario makes it seem like a good option. I don't usually break rules.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
1. First I'd be shocked, upset and betrayed. I would wonder what have I done to make my SO to cut me out like they did. After learning they had cancer, I would understand they didn't want to hurt me and how bad they must feel. I would locate those feelings around the heart area.

2. At first I'd hesitate because I don't want to go against the professor's orders. However, I'd help and later be satisfied by it. I like helping people. Actually, everytime I do a task in school I send the answers to my classmates if they want some help, but warn them to not copy it word by word, because the teacher isn't an idiot ;)

3. Brainstorming! Effects! Fun! People! I'd pick the first one, obviously. I want to have an effect, be creative and work with people. However, I think it shows that my Te is more developed than my Ti- which is logical if I'm an ExFJ :D

4. I'd draw, write, play piano, do some sports, meet with friends and family. Or talk to people online, hahaha. I don't know, having fun.

5. Easily the first one, maybe other than clergy and child care. But yeah, easily the second one. The only profession that is appealing to me in the second group is lawyer, because I love law and this is super interesting. Besides, dressing formal, talk all day and present a unique point of view? Sign me in.

6. Social issues- feminism, race, etc. Those subjects are really important and we need to do something about them. I love talking about the future- what will happen in the world one day, how we want to live. I loev talking about TV shows, movies, songs, book and the symbolism of it. I like talking about the universe. Also, I might talk about my beloved sister and dog, haha.

7. I'd do it the right way, the second one. Keeping everything clean is being good is super important to me. I won't even consider doing things against the laws of the company.
@Jinsei That's a lovely questionnaire! Thank you. May you analyze me? :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
@LavenderMoon

I got a lot of Fe out of both scenario 1 and 2 which kind of conflicts with the Te result from scenario 3

Scenario 4 was a little ambiguous for me but leaning towards introvert because even though it was in a puplic situation you didn't mention being there with friends and your reasons were based on individual interests that didn't really require social interaction

Scenario 5 was very interesting that you chose the T type professions however your desire for emotional/intellectual balance leans toward T and F being close in strength. Primary Fe would definitely be out of the question as well as primary Ti. Aux Te or Fe would still be possible here though. I would be leaning more towards Fe/Ti based on your first 3 answers. Usually at least one comes out clear between Ti/Te and Fi/Fe. Your preference for group brainstorming could be influenced by Fe since your focus seemed to be having an impact on the company and by extension other people. You also described group work as fun because you get to talk to other people. This seems more based on how you feel about being around other people rather than how your thinking process actually operates whether in a group or on your own. Scenarios 1-3 point to you leading with mostly feelings however you chose the T type professions... interesting.

Scenario 6 the talk about future plans might throw me a little initially but you are right, pretty concrete answer

Scenario 7 yes you chose the utilitarian response however my scenario might need some refinement. What sort of situation would you choose what you consider is right over efficiency/effectiveness?

So after all this I would lean towards Fe/Ti with them being an aux / tert combo. Clearly an s type due to being concrete vs abstract. ISTP doesn't fit however because T and F are primary / inferior... neither does ISFP because of the Fi/Te as well as them being primary / inferior. The only one that fits best is ISFJ with a slight possibility of ISTJ if you are Fi/Te instead.
Thank you for putting so much thought into this! It definitely gives me something to think about. As for Scenario 7, if I had to choose I guess I would say that following the company rules or finding a way to change them would be more right, although I still don't know if that would occur to me in the moment (rather than just going around them).

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@EndlessSummer

1- I'm leaning toward Fi here, wanting to be there but focus on how much you would miss him. Sensing your feelings everywhere rather than in a specific location is kind of Fi too in my opinion

2- This is a little ambigious but your focus still seems Fi here, worried about going against the professor / your room mate beating you. This also proves the point that both Fe and Fi can show empathy and compassion towards someone and end up showing the same behavior but the thought process of how they get there and the way they weigh different things shows that they get to that point different ways

3- Seems pretty Te here so after the first three I would say Fi/Te preferrer

4- A bit ambiguous... trying to determine introversion / extroversion here. I'm leaning towards extroversion... how do you draw in engergy to recharge, by being around and with people doing things you enjoy... or doing singular activities on your own?

5- Seems like an F preferrer but possibly aux / tert combo with F and T. That would make your primary function either Se or Ne if true. Right now the possible choices are ENFP or ESFP

6- Seems pretty concrete topics vs abstract so going with S type here

7- Your comment that you don't normally break the rules holds more weight than your choice in this one scenario so I would say you are Concrete Cooperative which would make you SJ type... there is a still a possibility of being Concrete Utilitarian and thus SP.

SJ doesn't fit with any of the SJ feeling types as they are Fe/Ti. So I am going to go with ESFP... slight possibility of ISFP depending on any clarification on scenario 4.

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
@Gray Romantic

1- Seems pretty clear Fe to me... Both would be shocked and hurt at first. But your focus on how bad they must feel after learning of the cancer as well as the location of your feelings speaks Fe to me.

2- Again seems clear Fe to me... J comes out a little bit here too in your concern with going against the rules.

3- I think you are right, your E nature is influencing the decision here... seems hard to evaluate the introverted extroverted nature of specific fucntions because they don't operate in a vacuum. They all work together. I would still put you as Fe/Ti because you are pretty clear Fe to me. I also think I need another T scenario just to make the F/T even. This seems biased towards easy assessment of primary feelers but difficulty with primary thinkers given the 2/1 ratio of F vs T scenarios.

4- A bit ambiguous, but possibly extroverted here.

5- Very clear F type, going to say extrovert and primary Fe here. making the choices ENFJ or ESFJ

6- Hrm... getting a signifcant amount of abstract here vs concrete. Leaning towards N over S type

7- Definitely cooperative here... very abstract cooperative which makes you NF. So a very clear ENFJ! YAY!!

And thank you for the very sweet comment!

·
Registered
INFP
1,191 Posts
SCENARIO 1

- Describe how this scenario would make you feel.
After being upset/confused initially and after talking to the family, I think I would immediately jump to the conclusion that my SO ended the relationship because of the cancer and may even be trying to protect me from becoming devastated when they die. While I would definitely be understanding of letting things go as a couple, I would absolutely refuse to give up on them as a friend and would make sure I was there for them until the end. I'd also make sure to have a conversation to let them know that I care too much about them to completely cut my ties.

My heart?

SCENARIO 2

I'd probably refuse out of principle - I'm not a cheater. What I would do is encourage them to look through their book seeing as this is an open book test, so the answers are sure be in there somewhere, and they shouldn't be hard to find if only a few chapters are being tested on.

- Describe your thought process / what influenced you in making the decision as well as how you would you define what is right / wrong in this scenario and why?
I've just never found cheating right - one's grades should be based on their own merit, so me helping them cheat would be counterproductive in that sense. That's not to say I haven't cheated before on homework and the like since they weren't major grades and didn't hold any relevance to what I really knew, but I've only done this on very rare occasions and try to refrain from it as much as possible.

SCENARIO 3​

Project 1 is a rather broad, expansive project covering multiple areas of company operations. It has the potential to have a very significant impact on company operations but it would require a collective effort and an extensive amount of brainstorming, problem solving, and logically working through the project along side the group of individuals your boss has also assigned to it.

- Which project appeals to you the most and why?
While both have their perks for me (safety in numbers in the first one, individuality/less impact in the second), I'd go for the second one mainly because I don't really trust others to live up to my standards, and I also believe that it would be easier to fulfill a vision I have if I'm working alone.

- Describe your thought process / what influenced you in making the decision as well as what aspects of either project appeal to you and why?

See above.

SCENARIO 4

I'd just do what I normally do - browse the internet, listen to music, spend time with my family, possibly do a bit of writing or work on some other personal project, and maybe even leave the neighborhood to either go to my local theme park or walk around in the town I lived in not very long ago. I'm not sure these require much explanation, but I'll explain the last two. Despite being an INFP, I do have an Se-sort of interest in riding roller coasters, so why not take advantage of doing that as often as I can when I live so close to them? As far as my walking around where I used to live goes, I'm just a very nostalgic individual and find specific remnants of the past comforting. I find that going back to my old neighborhood puts me in touch with old memories and specific feelings that stir up warm feelings of familiarity in me.

SCENARIO 5

Category 1 all the way. One of my ultimate goals in life is to be the change in as many people as I can, so especially pairing this with my interest in psychology, being a counselor, psychologist, and perhaps even a teacher would be right up my alley. I also do have a sort of interest in music and songwriting and secretly even really enjoy singing, although I'm not really good enough for it to be a viable career choice, not to mention my stage fright and aversion to being noticed/talked about by other people.

I decided in about two seconds max. Category 2 is just far too impersonal and (in most cases) uninteresting to me.

I already answered this above. If I had to pick a career out of Category 2, though, I'd probably go with scientist because I do find some sorts of science intriguing.

SCENARIO 6

You are having a nice conversation with one or two close friends. There is a lull in the conversation and you have the opportunity to steer it onto a new topic of your choice.

- Describe some topics that interest you which you might try to bring up in this setting.
If I haven't already talked to them about MBTI, I'd probably do that. :p Of course, this wouldn't be until I've analyzed said friends to death and figured out their types in advance - I'd just be very interested in how they perceive themselves, and if their perceptions are wrong, I'd love to get them interested in the theory so they can alter them.

I'm on a personality forum - why do I even have to explain this? :p Psychology is just one of my biggest passions since I love analyzing people and discovering how they work and what they find significant.

SCENARIO 7

COA 1: Highly efficient and effective, gets the job done and saves time and resources doing so, however a few of the company's policies will have to be bent or broken to accomplish this course of action. Bending these particular policies won't cause any significant risk to your employees or to the company's operations, but if word gets out it could set a precedent and cause a challenge for you to enforce company policies in the future.

COA 2: Works directly in line and adheres to all company policies however this course of action is not nearly as efficient and effective as COA 1. It will still get the job done but will cost the company much more time and resources to accomplish.

I don't know if I can really answer this because I don't know what said policies/courses of action entail, so I therefore don't know if they're something I'm in favor of. Having said that, I would probably go with number 1, but I don't think I'd be underhanded about what we were doing - perhaps it would even be better to consult the company to see if these policies are ones that can be negotiated. Of course, I've never been a manager before, so I'm not sure if doing this would get me fired...

See above.

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
@Ardielley

Scenario 1 - Seems kind of Fe to me but its ambiguous because the motivations behind the feelings are a bit unclear. I may need to add a question that addresses that... or modify this scenario

Scenario 2 - Very clear Fi here... strong personal values based decision.

Scenario 3 - A bit ambiguous... leans towards Ti however this could be strongly influenced by your Fi since you are talking about people living up to your own standards.

Scenario 4 - Ambiguous but there are more hints of introversion here and not a very strong case for social extroversion

Scenario 5 - Very clear F over T type... primary feeler for sure and that reinforces the Ti over Te result from scenario 3... you are making the choice with your Fi. So far I would say most likely Fi/Te so INFP or ISFP.

Scenario 6 - Seems very clear abstract over concrete here so N type

Scenario 7 - Even though you chose COA 1 your reasoning and motivation seems focused on doing what is right ie: concern with what the policies actually say, as well as desiring to be open about the breach... negotiating approval to bend the policies... etc. so I would say cooperative. This agian makes a very good case for two different cognitive processes getting to the same decision different ways.

Each scenario has a choice that gravitates towards catching a certain cognitive function but it is still open. This is why the most important info on each one is the thought process and the reasoning behind it that reveals what the focus is really on. Fi preferrers aren't incapable of empathy or being concerned about other people for example. They just get to that point a different way than an Fe preferrer.

Fi/Te - introvert - primary F - abstract cooperative (NF) - says very clear INFP to me.

Thanks so much for participating!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Here are my responses. Able to figure out what my type should be?

1) The knowledge of him having cancer would hit me (probably in the stomach) and my mind would likely get fuzzy so that I couldn't think clearly for a while. It would be a lot of pain to deal with; thinking about the world without him and knowing he won't be experiencing it with me like he should be able to. It is my worst fear coming true. I would try to see him and be with him to remind him that I am there for everything and that he doesn't need to protect me from this. If he's going through this, I want to be there with him. It would kill me to see him like that, or to know the upcoming days/weeks/months will be the last that I ever have with him. Living after he is gone would be hard enough, but knowing he spent his last time on earth without me would make me so sick and not want to live either.

(I realized that I wrote this from the perspective of my own relationship of nine years. I know my boyfriend well so there's a lot of assumptions in my answer. My reaction to a guy I had only known for two could possibly be a little different. I'll just assume that our love/connection is really strong in this scenario as well.)

2) Outward reaction: Something along the lines of "I really wish you would have asked me for help earlier in the semester. I love to teach and help people out. But I'm pretty serious when it comes to evaluations and being fair. I'm sorry but I can't help you." It would make me feel bad to have to say that, and I would feel guilty even though it's not my fault.

Thought process: Well, first of all I'd be wondering why they didn't come to me (or anyone else) sooner.. and I'd probably come to the conclusion that they care about their grade rather than actually understanding the material. That isn't really okay by me, as someone who really cares about academics and possibly wants to be a teacher someday. If someone cheats like this, it isn't fair and ruins the system for everyone else. People need to be expected to take initiative and try to learn the material before the test. Also, it is not in this person's best interest for me to help them cheat, even if they think it is in the moment. It's not actually a favor because it just hinders them in the long run with the ability to learn or do well themselves.

3) Project 2. The first one is really not my thing and even seems pretty intimidating to me. There's just a bit too much going on and not enough time to focus and really make sure it's going well. I've never been a fan of group projects just because it seems like I'm learning less and... I dunno. It just isn't as fulfilling as taking my time and doing something that allows for better understanding and knowing that I completed a challenge. Plus, I like to work alone - I think better that way.

4) Spending time with my boyfriend doing a mutually fun activity like watching a movie or playing a game. I really like doing fun media-based activities like this, but it's best with him because then we can talk about it and analyze it and stuff. I also would probably try to read some kind of discussion online and think about it and maybe respond, most likely on here. Other stuff I usually choose to do include reading, painting, playing a game - cause they relax me while still making me feel productive.

5) Category 1, due to counselor/teacher/psychologist. That's exactly the kind of direction I'm headed in and where my talents lie. Passing up on "scientist" or even doctor would be kind of hard, but "scientist" is a bit too vague and could include areas that I'm just not interested in. I like life sciences, and I like psychology research. Ideally I would research the brain (memory/learning) but I'm just going to classify that under psychologist? So... in general, Category 1 speaks to me more. This was pretty easy for me because I already know what direction I want to go in. Also, I should probably be kept away from tech, lol.

6) Depends on the friend, definitely. There are topics that I would bring up with some friends that I would never touch with others. MBTI, for example. I've brought it up with just certain friends. Philosophy, just certain friends. Social issues, just certain friends.

I guess I would bring up something about them/ask about how they've been doing lately. I know that at least they'll have something to say about this topic and won't be bored by it. And hey, I might be able to help them in some way. If not this, then probably just talk about a movie/book/show I've been into lately. This question is a bit difficult for me because I usually let my friends steer the conversation.

7) I would go for COA1. It doesn't make sense to me to just kind of "get by" on something. If it's going to be done, I think it should be done with a little bit of effort so that it's done well. Sometimes people make choices that allow for an easy time now, but a difficult time later on, and that frustrates me.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts