Personality Cafe banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Largely reasonable points. The satire wasn't the greatest, but it was sufficient to support the overall message (which was to show up how easy it is to give any theory a degree of verisimilitude solely by keeping the construct vague and malleable). The parallels are evident enough - how easy is it, for instance, to dismiss in a Ti-dom what might usually be seen as Fi signs by talking about the similarities between both introverted judging functions, or talking about elevating the inferior (or alternatively being in the grip of it), or simply ascribing those signs (normally assigned to Fi) to some other function the person is "supposed" to have (Si or Ni, say)? The parallel of having S/N be inferred by whether your J/P was "thought" or "felt" works particularly well to illustrate just how clumsily some of the inferences usually drawn in "standard" functions theories are drawn. And I'd generally agree with the claim that what are most needed are better definitions, and that working from an unfalsifiable characterisation of the theory generally holds back that search for accurate definitions of real personality differences.

So, all in all, I think the article works well to emphasise some fair criticisms of MBTI theory.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
True, but been roundly acknowledged by most people who frequent this subforum, in one way or another. Yes, the Cognitive Functions are looseweave pseudoscience.

No, that doesn't mean they lack any value at all. A model doesn't have to be 100% scientifically accurate to have value to an individual.

Saying they are worthless is presuming a kind of arrogant knowledge in the opposite direction that lacks any factual backing - sort of like someone going in the opposite direction of believing in a god and saying that all beliefs in a god are worthless.

It annoys me when people act like they're making a revelatory, rebellious point, only to go so far in the opposite direction that they're guilty of the same kind of narrow-minded assumptions that they're accusing other people of. Fucking pendulum man... where's the balance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts