Personality Cafe banner

Should I be lonely; or go for synergy?

1K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Lovely_INFJ 
#1 ·
[Insert Formalities Here] Let's talk some costs/benefits.

Context:
Once I was intelligent enough to understand I was retarded, I realized I needed to change. Initially, my system for improving my intelligence was daily midnight walks thinking grand philosophical questions. Then it was self-help books that helped create a system for understanding development. I created a model for areas of growth, and systems to increase each of those areas. I changed my diet to a nutrient-enriched Mediterranean diet, and that meant cutting refined sugars, and adding lean meats instead (with a heavy emphasis on fish [gotta have that omega 3-6s]). Next, I created habits (by modifying pre-existing triggers [to old habits]) to sleep better. Lack of sleep actually has similar effects to being drunk (meaning less cognitive control), but there are many other effects because of this. I also took up sprints (or H.I.I.T.) in the morning. I'm gradually making changes like these to improve my general health and intelligence.

Alone or Synergy?
I have some ambitious projects I'm working on. When it comes to the success of these projects, there are 3 elements I have to take into consideration: Vision, Planning, and Action. I call this the VPA cycle. Within the VPA cycle is your circle of influence, or rather, what liberties you have available to you. The more you use the VPA cycle, the more liberties you have.

Example: Petting a cat is outside your circle of influence (if you don't have a cat). By using the VPA cycle to buy a cat (or steal your neighbor's cat [you horrible schemer!]), you thus extended your COI to cover petting cats.

That's really what development is, VPA + COI. And... finally, to my point: Do I partner up with someone who helps me develop faster and to synergize, or do I skip petty humans and focus my attention on my goals?

Bluntly, INTPs balance out the strong INFJ V (vision) with the unrivaled INTP P (planning/systemizing), though A (action) is usually quite low on an INTP. The INTP will completely weed out unrealistic vision while also strengthening it with logical insight. If I sought out any personality, there would be no other options.

The VPA model itself is an idea of mine, a vision. There's no doubt in my mind that an INTP would be able to help me refine it (There's a whole lot about the VPA cycle I'm leaving out here lol). There's... a lot of perks that I bring to the table as well. Such a shameless plug... xD

So... What are your thoughts on the matter? Go on lonely? Synergize?

See less See more
#5 ·
Bluntly, INTPs balance out the strong INFJ V (vision) with the unrivaled INTP P (planning/systemizing), though A (action) is usually quite low on an INTP. The INTP will completely weed out unrealistic vision while also strengthening it with logical insight. If I sought out any personality, there would be no other options.
Everything in your post was pretty interesting to read besides this bit. I think you need to re-evaluate the way you think about personality types. You can't apply this sort of blunt statistics to infer what type of person you need in your life. You need to take into account an intrapersonal perspective. To equate interpersonal variance (averages, types, what-have-you) and intrapersonal variance you are assuming that personality traits are ergodic processes and by definition, they are not. (A good paper on the matter: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1467-8721.2009.01619.x)

Another thing that you have to take into consideration is that we are social creatures whether you think that humans are petty or not. You need them to be able to grow - your theoretical model is great but you need interaction with people to actually achieve something with it. Therefore, I think the answer to your question is self-evident. If you want to accelerate the process, get a partner. Just don't pick one based on crude statistics.

#6 · (Edited)
Everything in your post was pretty interesting to read besides this bit.
Yeah, I agree. As I laid down to sleep after posting that (drinking my pre-workout right now [good morning]) I decided that that was a bit sketchy. So I agree with you.

You would be much better served asking the NTJs about this. You want practical thinking/Te thinking. Plus they have Ni like you and can understand vision better.
My roommate is an INTJ. I'm cocking my head to the side right now considering what asking him for advice would look like. The guy seemingly pulls (usually accurate) data from thin air. He just doesn't have any drive to make a life for himself. Though obviously, with a wonderful resource like the Personality Cafe, he doesn't have to be the extent of my INTJ interaction. I'll look into that, thank you.

Your vision is basically habits 1 and 2 of 7 Habits for Highly Effective People.
The INTPs are reading the INFJ bible! Run for the hills everyone while you still can! xD

I got the COI from the 7H. Loved the concept, but he's still pretty vague on the particular subject, so I expanded it. Working on a "skill tree" of life sort of thing, and the COI is at the heart of it, branches from one skill/goal to another. The VPA cycle the engine of development.

Honestly, there are other models that work just as well. "Getting things done -David Allen" at the top of my list.

#8 · (Edited)
The INTPs are reading the INFJ bible! Run for the hills everyone while you still can! xD

I got the COI from the 7H. Loved the concept, but he's still pretty vague on the particular subject, so I expanded it. Working on a "skill tree" of life sort of thing, and the COI is at the heart of it, branches from one skill/goal to another. The VPA cycle the engine of development.

Honestly, there are other models that work just as well. "Getting things done -David Allen" at the top of my list.
It's a book.
It's a book on how to actually get stuff done.
It's a book that's so lauded it's on every single book store and has been for years.
It's a book, the author of which was highly sought after by leaders all over the world (of all types) until he kicked the bucket.
And did I mention it's a book? Who declared it the INFJ bible anyway?

My roommate is an INTJ. I'm cocking my head to the side right now considering what asking him for advice would look like. The guy seemingly pulls (usually accurate) data from thin air. He just doesn't have any drive to make a life for himself. Though obviously, with a wonderful resource like the Personality Cafe, he doesn't have to be the extent of my INTJ interaction. I'll look into that, thank you.
I think the way you're applying MBTI is intellectually lazy and kind of unhealthy, like a socially acceptable stereotyping index. I've seen some folk who do this exact same thing in the NTJ forums so you should get along.

#10 · (Edited)
So far has been an example of what I'm asking. I'm down for critical feedback, even when all it is is critical feedback. This post thus far has also been helpful in helping me refine my general understanding.

Let's say that this article was synergy. Let's say @SoulScream is correct, and it'll help accelerate development. What would be more ideal? Call it harsh reality, but the variable of considerateness was equal to 0 in Nell's posts... The kindnessPerceived < 0. Assuming this is the norm, is the development worth it?

#13 ·
I think @Nell makes really good points about how we often use MBTI. At the same time, I could see how the original poster's idea could be valid if it was meant in the sense that they could see that working to develop an app with an INTP could be fruitful because their type (with a wide range of individual variations) is good at solving problems and thinking through technical and engineering types of problems, maybe especially, which could work well with the OP. That said, you can "synergize" the projects with any MBTI type as long as you recognize your individual strengths and weaknesses and identify an individual who has strengths that you value. In this case I can see why INTP would come to mind, but I don't think Nell was being mean, and made a bunch of important points about pigeonholing and echo chambers and all the negative ways we can use MBTI. So it's more like you see that your project needs someone to help who can do X and Y. Multiple "types" and individuals can do X and Y. Even another INFJ could potentially synergize with you if they have the skills, background, or education you need.

P.s. nobody told me that book was our bible! I've only kind of skimmed it, lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.