Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a girl at work, I'll call her Amy has been going around telling people that I don't wash my hands after I use the bathroom (but I do -- she just doesn't see me do it) she could be walking in when I'm fixing my hair and I leave and stuff. Just because she doesn't see me wash my hands doesn't mean I haven't. She's already told on me twice for this shit to my co-workers and I told the actual boss someone has been making up stuff about me not washing my hands. I didn't know who it was at first but then when I talked to my co-worker more about it I said there was only two people in there at the time: Amy and this other girl and it wasn't that hard to figure out then my co-worker admitted it was Amy. She didn't want to tell me who it was because she knew I'd get upset and do something about it.

My boss (the real boss boss, not supervisor) said if I know the name of the person to let them know. I said I didn't know who it was at this point.

At first I thought it was this other girl in the bathroom with us because I didn't think Amy was like that. She was nice to me like a few days ago telling me she's seen talking with this guy I could be good with and was encouraging me to go talk to him and stuff, so it really surprised me it was her who told on me for such petty shit.

Anyway, Amy's friends over hear me say that I know someone's been going around telling people that I don't wash my hands and whoever it is needs to mind their biz in what I do in the bathroom. That's what my supervisor and co-worker say, too that Amy needs to mind her business.

Since Amy thinks I don't wash my hands and she's asked my co-workers what are they going to do about it, instead of going behind my back talking, I'll tell her what to do about it myself: mind her biz.

I'm debating on whether or not to confront Amy if she keeps telling on me for shit that isn't even happening.

Would you confront this person that is saying this shit about you or ignore it?

I was also thinking since she goes to my co-worker about it, instead of confronting her, I'll have my supervisor tell her from myself that it's not her business.

I was wanting to say to her, "Look, I know you've been going around telling people I don't wash my hands. I do and what I do in the bathroom is my business, not yours. I wear gloves all day anyway, regardless."

Not sure why Amy did that because now she made things awkward and weird for absolutely no reason. People always wondered why I kept to myself first at work, well those types of people who tattle on people are the reason why I barely talked to anybody in the beginning.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If it was me, I would confront her.

Or next time you meet her, you can just softly touch her face with your hand, and walk away.
Do you work somewhere like a restaurant where it can affect your professional reputation?

I would not necessarily make it a confrontation but I would handle it. People who 'bully' others do so because they get away with it.

In the same situation I would approach the person and mention it had come back to me that a 'rumour' was being circulated by her. I would say that I although the boss was interested in knowing who the source was, I wasn't planning on taking it to the Superiors at this time. But, were it to happen again I would definitely do so.

If she insists that she thinks you didn't wash your hands, you don't have to argue with her. She is wrong. You can just re-state that if she persists, you will have to report her for spreading false information.

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She's told on me twice now and I think that if she does it again a third time I definitely will tell the boss the name. I work in a factory and I'm hired in so I'm not sure what the girl thinks will happen to me. I was going to let it slide the first time but I heard she told on me twice now and that's irritating. Third time, I'm going to mention her name to the boss for sure.

·
Registered
438 Posts
This issue is highly trivial. What does it matter that people think you don't wash your hands? I thought it would be a more...interesting...issue. This is a non-issue. I'd say it doesn't matter what you do. Since you work in a factory it probably won't influence your professional reputation anyway. The more you feed this the more it will happen, if Amy is truly a bully. In any case, why not let it slide? It costs a lot of energy and the benefit of the investment of the energy will be minimal.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would confront her, and if it doesn't stop, it's out of your hands (crappy pun intended), so just let her keep being a middle school bully, and point and laugh.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I wouldn't.

Just go about your business. When others see that you're washing your hands and being hygienic, she'll look like a gossiping moron. Why confront her? She's going to deny or it's going to be a circular conversation with nothing coming out of it.

Tell your boss that you didn't appreciate the rumors but inform them that you are, in fact, being hygienic. Stress to your boss that it isn't a personal vendetta and that said co-worker probably means no harm from it, but that you'd appreciate if the boss spoke to her about not gossiping and being professional in the work-space.

Focus on that being the issue, not the hand-washing stuff.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I suggest ignoring the rumor and being as upstanding and polite as possible in your work to cast aside any aspersions.

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lol it was so awkward today at work. She's been there longer than me, but in my department, I'm one of the three people that know how to work it so I was training her on something new she hasn't learned. It was so weird I even told my supervisor, "Why did she even do that? I never did anything to her."

Now when I trained her I just talked about work and didn't bring it up. I suppose as long as I don't hear about it again, I'm going to ignore it. She was in the bathroom again with me today for a few seconds but didn't say anything probably because she may have over heard me talking about it to my supervisor.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'm in a similar situation, though in my case it's my mother in law who keeps making up things about me and trying to convince people that I'm a bad person. I'm 8 months pregnant and she claims that I'm lazy and that I don't want to work, lol. I've already worked more than she has in her entire life and I'm less then half of her age, not to mention I would've kept working but I lost my job during my pregnancy because I couldn't safely lift anymore. She's a really paranoid individual and when you don't give her information to work with she just makes shit up based off of her own warped thought process. One time, I kid you not, she went around telling people that she thought that me and her son were trying to poison her -_-

Some people you just can't work with when they're that wacko, it's best to just give them a wide berth and don't play into their dramas. You can try directly confronting this girl, but if she's anything like my mother in law it won't necessarily help. People like that never owe up to their actions. If she IS like my mother in law, she'll probably feign innocence and then go on to tell people that you're confrontational and unhinged or something like that.

I think @stiletto's advice is the best thus far. In the past I've directly confronted people like this and it's always ended badly. The best thing to do is just be the best person/worker that you can be and then she'll just look like a shit talker in comparison.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
If it were me, I'd just casually bring it up while talking to her one day. You don't have to proclaim war or anything, just a casual, "You know, saying things about others, especially when it's based on assumptions isn't cool. Let's try to get along, k? I can give you a call after anytime I use the bathroom so you can come watch me wash my hands if it bothers you so much."

Mind you, I'm also a more direct personality so how you choose to handle it may be up to your personality. She honestly just sounds like a catty troublemaker and trying to go around the office telling others she's lying is a loser's game. I'd tell her to stop and if she keeps up, just report her to whoever's in charge to handle the situation and forget about her.
Or next time you meet her, you can just softly touch her face with your hand, and walk away.
You just made my day. :laughing:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.