Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just graduated high school and at the moment I'm deciding on what I should do with the rest of my life. I absolutely love drawing and writing. When I was a kid I always wanted to be a comic book writer/drawer. But at the same time I want to help people, which is why I'm interested in psychology and nursing. So I'm stuck between going into the arts or just taking courses for nursing. I did not attain good grades in my last year of high school but the years before that I did. I'm not confident and worried on what I want to do because I'm coming out of a depressive state. I feel like I'm incapable of finding my own path. I want to be independent and move away from my family. So I don't know if I actually want to go into the medical field because I want to or because it's more secure. I know I would be happy if I were to study art history,writing,fine arts etc.. But I don't think it's something I should go into if I want to be secure and be able to not rely on my parents. To sum this up, may anyone give me advice? Have you been through something similar like this? What did you do?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Would it be easier to live with being poor or to be stuck with something that just pays the bills?

I think you should find some people who work in these fields and ask them about what it's like to get started, what some of the challenges and rewards are, etc.

I don't think you need to worry too much about finding your path as long as you're always exploring or at least open to new possibilities, and growing as a person. It's not too uncommon to go into college without being 100% sure, and people do sometimes change their careers later in life after some revelations and possibly drama to something that brings them more happiness - or more security. It's not a decision to be made lightly, but it also doesn't have to be for the rest of your life.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
A- You devote yourself to nursing, making a decent living, move away, etc.

B - You devote yourself to the arts, do something you love, you may or may not get paid well

Think about what the A/B choices will impact outside of your career: What kind of lifestyle do you want? What will you be okay going without? Are you willing to depend on your family for a little longer? You won't starve as an artist, but you may have to be more vigilant of what's coming and going money-wise.

C- You can keep your drawing and writing passion as something to do in your free time. Do you go to a university/college where you could major in one and minor in the other? You could also save up money while you're nursing, and when you have enough (if this is possible - debt out of college?) you can return to school

You're very young, nothing is 100% set in stone, a lot can be determined by blind luck and it's possible to get somewhere and end up places you never thought you'd be just by taking things as they come and actively pursuing opportunities. But it probably does help to have enough $ to cushion yourself during an internship or low-paying job in the art world.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had the same dilemma at your age.

I would advise you to first do what would provide you with security- if that coincides with what you love, great; if not, just bite your teeth and remember you have bills and financial responsibilities in the future. While you do that, you can keep a side hobby or project of doing the things you love. And once you've reached some financial stability and security, you can transition your entire focus/career into doing what you love.

I did the above, except instead of transitioning into doing what I love 100%, I decided to stick with my job and keep the things I love as a personal pursuit, hobby. I have several friends who went off to do what they love but ended up hating it since instead of being something they love, it became a job with forced responsibilities, and having to compromise the quality of the things they love to meet the standards/demands of their boss/who they work for.

In the end though, it's up to you. Good luck!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Oh sorry one more thing:

You could always enroll in a college/university & major in Nursing and minor in Art/art history. Or hell, if you want to, you can double major in BOTH.

My final words of advice: don't stress yourself out by forcing yourself to choose one or the other RIGHT NOW :). Just take it easy and experiment with each. Theoretically, I think you know what your options are, but you have to get your hands dirty to see how it works out.

I would suggest taking a class or two in everything: art, art history, psychology, nursing. Take some classes and also get some experience, like volunteering in a hospital, or volunteering at an art museum, etc, before deciding which direction you want to go.

·
Banned
1,257 Posts
In all honesty, pick a degree that exposes you to as much useful material as possible.

You will I can gaurentee it find something that is completely unrelated to your degree.

I have an audio engineering degree and am finding myself going into IT. Oh boy :tongue:

·
MOTM Jan 2010
2,988 Posts
I like tine's suggestion about Art Therapy. You could also try being an art teacher, as that's both a stable job and an outlet for your creativity.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts