Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29,760 Posts
Disable your account, put a parental lock on your device so you can't use the apps. Then do something else. That's how you do it, I don't know if you should do it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for your input! Do you have any ways to ease withdrawal symptoms or strong urges to log on? Those two things have been my biggest downfall when trying to quit.

·
PerC's 6w6
5,874 Posts
Are there any other ways you can connect or interact with the people you know? How many people on there do you really need to keep in touch with? Maybe figuring out what it is you gain from the site could be a way of diverting that attention to something you feel more comfortable with.

Personally the thing that made me stop using social media was realizing that I'd just be spending time comparing myself to others rather than being productive or entertained. I wasn't using the site to communicate with those people.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
When you resort to asking strangers whether you should quit social media or not is a clear sign you should have quit social media long before you came in here to ask the question. What if they told you NO, would you follow their advice. And what about YES, will you follow that also. Needing advice from strangers about a serious decision you and only you can make is not healthy, so my humble advice is go get healthy then make a decision by yourself.

Yes, you should quit, delete all your social media accounts and go out into the real world, relate with people in real time. Once you have accomplished loving your reality, then you can come back and share with us what it was like to be in the real world and how this virtual world is only a delusion.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah I'd say it's normal to have that "pressure" to stay on, only by people that want to know what you are doing with your life and want you to be on the same social media as them. But who cares? I'd say make the decision ultimately for yourself first. Don't do what someone says cause you might turn around and regret it, But honestly social media is so overrated these days, if someone's so special in your life, they'll give you a call or a text and let you know how life is going or what you're up to.
I'd say focus on yourself and your beliefs and go live a little! You don't need to log into an account everyday to post what you're up to or see what other people are doing, it slightly damages what you're on your track to be doing because you compare yourself to others and then kinda twist where you should be going or what you should be doing, I think you'll figure out happiness a lot easier with real life friends, family, strangers even, and being by yourself! But I don't know this is coming from someone with out social media haha, I'd say ditch it :p

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
@mikankoneko It could be a simple habit. For example, if you used to check your social media as the first thing after turning the PC on then it will be hard to simply stop. Likewise, if you did it each time you got bored, had to study etc. First of all, figure out WHEN you have these "cravings" then think over what motivates you to check them. Try to make a new habit, like walking around the room or playing an online game etc. whenever you get the urge to check your social media. If you will miss chatting with people, try to call your friends to just talk or send them a text.

Don't forget that whenever you stop doing something, anything, there will a be hole in your life that it leaves. You need to replace it with something different.

Reactions: GENGAR and Maye

·
Sunset Stripper
9,647 Posts
I don't think social media is bad tbh. I like using it and it helps me [not just to chill out, I've learned more online than what I could ever learn offline], unless you have personal reasons (that them alone would be your driving force to quit) then I suggest you think about what you want to do. I've gotten the urge to quit but its mostly because I feel it's the "right" thing to do (egged on by just about everyone), if you're influenced by that then I do re-suggest to develop your own reasoning to leave (or stay).

Questions for yourself:
Why quit? What would I gain from quitting?
What do I plan to do instead? (to avoid the urge to come back) / replace the habit.

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ ♂
17,842 Posts
Hey guys! I'm debating whether to quit social media or not. I've tried quitting before, but then I had urges to log on again. Any advice?
​Why are you considering this?

·
Registered
INTP
1,752 Posts
Funny, I've been asking myself the exact same question, though it'd be sorta self-isolating to do since the world revolves around social media these days. Also, I live really far away from all my friends so I can't meet up with them IRL ever, so the internet is the best way to keep up. However, social media sites legit stress me out for some reason. I hate the "timeline" format and all the spam/memes/reposts that tend to go on them. It also feels like despite having "social" in its name, it's as if it makes everyone become less social than before because people treat it like "Hey, I posted something on my page so it means I don't have to actually talk to anyone directly anymore". "You want to know about my trip? Go see my posts on my page!" instead of... actually talking about it. The "interactions" feel so empty and people who use them get so egocentric. Everyone wants more followers and "friends" and "likes" on their posts. It's not a genuine place to interact with others and instead is a cold, empty wasteland full of people pushing their own self-importance while mostly ignoring each other. Social media sites makes me more "connected" but it gives the feeling of being less connected than ever.

I'd say to just quit and for the people who actually want to have anything to do with you, find a messenger, text them or call them. Despite how old-fashioned it is, talking directly is way better than the social media setup for keeping up with people.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Hey guys! I'm debating whether to quit social media or not. I've tried quitting before, but then I had urges to log on again. Any advice?
What's your reason to want to quit? And what social media do you use and for what purposes?

·
Banned
1,352 Posts
For me it was the exact opposite, I didn't really use Facebook at all until recently. Using facebook has improved my productivity as it has enabled me to better coordinate with people through messenger and such. However if you are just using social media not as a means to connect with other people but as a means to procrastinate then that is unhealthy. Excessive use of such things as Instagram, Snapchat, etc is unhealthy and I wouldn't recommend you do so. However going nuclear and deleting your facebook is way too hasting IMHO and if you decide to quit you should only delete non-essential social medias such as pininterest, tumblr, etc.

·
Electronica Wizard
ISFP
6,699 Posts
You've got to find a reason to loathe it so much that you would lit a torch on your electronic devices and create a bonfire at your backyard. Jokes aside, use media to give you ideas to go out more. For example, on the events section of Facebook, you'll discover a lot of things going on in your city that you could attend to. They have been recommended to you by Facebook's algorithm data that processes the many group pages you have liked throughout the years.

Facebook and other social media are pointless nowadays, but you don't have to necessarily quit them. Just don't use them too much.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Depends what you count as "Sociol Media" some people consider that to be sociol websites like FB specifically. If you mean all internet websites generally its easier to go if you have stuff outside the computer. I dont have a life outside my computer so I usually online write or read

1 - 20 of 22 Posts