Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Basically I found out I am managing a front site for my company. The site I operate was originally owned by a parent company which sold to the company I work for now with a few other sites.

What does this mean. It means I found out my site turns no direct profit. By the time our operations and creative development manager was relocated to our direct area I had been placed to start managing my site. So he had no direct hand in that. He was sent to expand the company in our region with their specific market. The site I operate was just for the company to get their foot in the door in our region.

What has happened since though has been him grooming the old sites under the geise of the new company while he opens up all these brand new locations. Well at a work party the girl who is operating one of the new sites with less clients to serve and less work load and more grooming and training and less production percentage had innocently commented her starting wage.

Well I ended up pretty fucken pissed and KNOWING I rank the highest in production in hourly employees for turn around and coverage in my small time in i did call out to my boss why on earth someone who is new in the gate, less experienced in the industry, who gets more coaching, and who has such little on her plate was started at a higher wage. Basically that was when he finally elaborated what i suspected which was that my site was a front site. He had to explain it to me given me questioning my starting wage to even reason what I have on my plate to explain their profit for my site. Ok fine that was at least logical.

But here is the part where he doesn't give me much to go off of except that i have to trust him. My site happens to oddly despite profit have more legal liability and needs in licensing. I actually came in the door with my industry knowledge having to make some waves about our licensed nurses and their illegal delegations onto unlicensed staff. I documented many examples. Also demonstrated how our LPN has implicated unlicensed staff in med errors by back dating or not changing charts to match medications and pinned things on staff. Well my boss then threw another jack knife in and introduced me to a woman who he said would be my new day shift paired with me. This is a woman who is a recovered addict but now is an unlicensed nurse however can verify industry knowledge. Well essentially he asked me to have her come in and work with me under the geise of just being staff so she can essentially be a mole. Well the first day I showed her quite a lot of what i uncovered basically she affirmed everything I have said all along (but credentials wise she has the call back I didn't).

Fine but during all this I have been trying to build my own portfolio which has included all these new procedures I implemented which were not in place from an operation end (not nursing). Well basically I have done a ton of leg work. Dealing with covering all this crap I inherited, getting the place up to health and federal codes, while implementing all these procedures and then on top of that because he flipped our schedule literally over one night (when I had every shift covered) I was working 80hours a week just on the fucken floor in December into January to cover the actual floors open shifts. I am the number one production employee in hours vs window. So all that crap happens and then state came through I passed fine from my end but the nurses got their asses handed to them. And they got new orders from the state (all things I Knew would happen). That's when the mole got brought in. Fine I get it.

But he is asking me to operate off just trust and very little info. For a site I know I operate at more production for less wage because I know it's a front site, and hold the fort down because they can't switch supervisors with the state evaluation in progress while I have a mole here under the geise as just a staff yet I am supposed to operate jointly with undercover to reform the site while I make less than anyone.

I think this is asking a lot with a leap of faith. There is apart of me though who knows that out of a crowd of 100 leaders at our leadership meeting the owners knew me by name and introduced themselves and also after being at the leadership meeting I know if they expand in my region the way they did down there there are alot of potential great positions. But as of right now what I am presented is a giant fucken mess with absolutely no real solid appeal to why the fuck I shouldn't just look for another job.

The mole did verify I was doing the job of at least 5 people ranging from nursing duties to policies, etc etc.

Aside from my 80hours a week on floor tenure I built my portfolio and implemented all these things.

He sorta pissed me off when he asked me to have the mole sit in on a client intake when i haven't even done one on my own yet. I put in al this fucken leg work and held the fucken fort and trenches and now I need this lady to come validate everything I already knew for the worst wage in the company for my position

Plus
Remember my sites was just bought for them to get their foot in the door
So while he has me hold down the fort in nomads land (I might as well be Kevin Costner in dances with wolves) from the company perspective I am losing time on their specific market operating a site which does not even cater to their market.

Thoughts?

Do I have reason to see this with cynicism given what is actually presented or should I be thinking about potential opportunities down the line.

Oh and he pissed me off because he forced me to take a mental break after he flipped our schedule overnight and I worked all those crazy hours, while I was mid game he benched me. What the fuck. Give me a mental break after I work all the fucken crazy hours which transpired from me being a casualty in this turn around.

And my site having the highest licensing needs requires more from new staff and pays less entry wage so I am the lowest staffed site.

Registered
Blind faith sounds like a bad idea any day of the week. If you have concerns about company strategy that impact you, then I don't see why you can't bring that up with your manager. Ofcourse your attachment to this job, as well as your relation to your manager, will influence how bold you can be about this. My limited experiences is with xSTP's is that they have good bullshit filters, so use that to your advantage. The plan of the company, in so far that it affects you, he/she should be able to say something about it in a way that makes sense to you. You do after all have to consider your career (development), and his/her suitability as your "leader".

P.S. I'm not an expert on your line on work, nor do I live in north america, so take it with a grain of salt.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Blind faith sounds like a bad idea any day of the week. If you have concerns about company strategy that impact you, then I don't see why you can't bring that up with your manager. Ofcourse your attachment to this job, as well as your relation to your manager, will influence how bold you can be about this. My limited experiences is with xSTP's is that they have good bullshit filters, so use that to your advantage. The plan of the company, in so far that it affects you, he/she should be able to say something about it in a way that makes sense to you. You do after all have to consider your career (development), and his/her suitability as your "leader".

P.S. I'm not an expert on your line on work, nor do I live in north america, so take it with a grain of salt.
Thanks
So I guess after I made some waves I got put in my place on real guidelines and regulations vs how different facilities operate. So I ended up getting enlightened on some misconception I had (in my defense from some lack of communication). But anyways I was directed to solve the problems by implacing some procedures. Parallel with nursing. I was able to communicate some of my gripes about where I fall into responsibility vs where I can truly see my value. I guess after I got put in my place on a few things I am looking at this more as a test to prove myself. I am being in my opinion asked to do and implement somethings outside of what is recognized but I guess the only way to view it is a test to be able to prove my ability to problem solve. Maybe I have been thrown a lot which seems unreasonable. But if they are giving me that much power to solve so much on my own I guess I need to hope I come out better on the other side. I did communicate some of my really toxic gripes like where I fell in expectation and responsibility vs compensation and support. They did provide a better outlook which is that rather than viewing it all as I am being set back I should maybe view it as an opportunity to really have the knowledge of two industries and both company markets which most people will not have. Instead of what my outlook on it was. Now to my defense I do think maybe some encouragement and empowerment from my leaders should have been relayed to me different but coulda shoulda woulda. I guess all I have to work with is what I got and well if after the grief I dished they handing me that much power in problem solving and change I should probably rise above some of the shitty logistics and solve it instead of be such a cynic. (Even if some things do not entirely line up).

I thank you for your response

Registered
@Sensational

Communicate your concerns and feedback without becoming overly judge-mental, and follow your own insights. How people respond to your feedback can reveal a lot about people's intention, if they take it for what it is, or if they become allergic. With the right information you can draw your own conclusions. Some sort of negotiating attitude with your manager, where you are legitimately trying to secure a less crazy work environment (80 hours sounds like too much to do long term) and pursue a sensible career might also help find balance between they helping you and you helping them. Understanding the why of the situation is extremely important when (implicitly) being asked to go the extra mile (or 10, lol), otherwise working so much is an even bigger recipe for a burnout, and your manager should know this if his/her leadership skills are worth anything.

Banned
Now I see what your post on the ENTJ forum was about. Still not sure what is bothering you (except for working 80 hours a week and not getting the same remuneration as the new chick).

I don't think you should stop being a cynic, but that is just me speaking from experience. Virtually all employers will try to pay people less and convince them to work more. If you're a hard worker by nature and want to excel, this is easily taken advantage of by management. He put you on a short mental health break (probably recognized you were at your limit) which is good, but you will likely not be privy to the decision made at the top which inevitably trickle down as "do more with less." I don't understand a lot of your industry lingo. Managing sites as in a physical locale, or sites like website? (sorry to be dumb in this regard).

Reactions: Sensational

Registered
I've seen these kinds of situations play out in various industries, and lived through similar stuff before. It can go either way, so I can't advise where you will be in 3 months. Companies will always protect themselves first, employees are just a commodity.

I will advise you to make the most of it and build a plan B. Earn the respect of those you work with, and those that may be allies. Do your work well in spite of being undercompensated and overloaded. Hone your craft and take every opportunity to learn or develop a skill. Then capitalize on it when the time it right.

Nothing wrong with being pissed, or feeling like you are getting shafted or lied to. Just don't let that get in the way. When I was subjected to similar sketchy shit, I gained a great deal of skills in areas that made my future a lot brighter. I got 12 years of resume experience in 4 years of work. I had stories to tell in interviews, and documented success. I had references to rely upon, and later in my career those people sought me out and gave me huge opportunities because they trusted me. Unknown to me at the time, I was doing more than just earning a paycheck.

Work on plan B, it will alleviate your anxiety. Nothing wrong with looking, and it might find you something better. It can also help you make a market-analysis case for a raise. THey may not give it to you, but you can feel informed of the market as a whole, rather than just internal to your company. Being in the dark you can only assume what you are worth. Comparing yourself to another in the same company isn't the same as comparing yourself with the market as a whole. They may not even be aware themselves in some cases.

Last job I left I did this (market analysis). My boss agreed with my assessment and lobbied hard to get me my number, and the company turned him down, twice. I left for a job that paid literally twice as much a few months later, and the new job is easier and safer. The person that replaced me has half the resume and skill, and is paid more than the higher number I was asking for to stay. They had to pay him that because I was right about the market and they couldn't find anyone for less to replace me. Sometimes companies are just stupid. Their greed forced me to improve myself, and cost them dearly. Staying was a dead end, with a company that was never going to care.

Trust but verify.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts