Personality Cafe banner

What course of study is best for INFJs?

• Philosophy

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Theology/Religion

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Science

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Other (please specify in comment section)

Votes: 2 16.7%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading the following article:

Tertiary Temptation in INFJ | Stellar Maze

And it writes on the nature of Ti, and how it may "tempt" INFJs to do things that are otherwise contrary to their well-being.
This personally interests me as I'm a philosopher major (which is considered by many to be a Ti course of study). While I disagree, and hold philosophy amendable to one's purpose in studying it, I'm curious for the opinions of others in this matter.

All of your opinions are appreciated, and I'll try to answer as many of them as possible!

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'm an engineer, so that's quite a Ti-based orientation as well.
Although i'd say you need a lot of Ni in there too.

Thinking back at the stuff i was good at: the things that required problem solving, but most of all the courses that i could somehow visualize in my head. Chemistry and physics were fun and i could imagine how things worked, but i sucked at electricity as soon as magnetism and fluxes were involved (my head started fluxing too!)

Too abstract wasn't good (which i guess is Ti), but as long as it was logic and imaginable, I was actually pretty good at it.

I would never change majoring for an MBTI-type!

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
I voted Science, simply because I am spiritual but not so much religious and Philosophy is great but... we have plenty of those around. Science seems the better alternative.

Reactions: Nox

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think any of those subjects are equally good, depending on your area of interest. You can probably excel at any of them at an undergraduate or graduate level, and find meaningful work with any of subjects.

·
Banned
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm an engineer, so that's quite a Ti-based orientation as well.
Although i'd say you need a lot of Ni in there too.

Thinking back at the stuff i was good at: the things that required problem solving, but most of all the courses that i could somehow visualize in my head. Chemistry and physics were fun and i could imagine how things worked, but i sucked at electricity as soon as magnetism and fluxes were involved (my head started fluxing too!)

Too abstract wasn't good (which i guess is Ti), but as long as it was logic and imaginable, I was actually pretty good at it.

I would never change majoring for an MBTI-type!
I didn't mean to give the impression that one should change one's major for an MBTI. I'm mostly focused on the Ti function for INFJs. After all, it's the third one (and one meant for "relief" activities).

·
Banned
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think any of those subjects are equally good, depending on your area of interest. You can probably excel at any of them at an undergraduate or graduate level, and find meaningful work with any of subjects.
I'm mostly interested in Philosophy and Religion. They match each other well, in my opinion (despite being an atheist).

·
Banned
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I'd first say that only analytic philosophy is Ti based. Otherwise, one can make heavy use of Ni and even Fe. I would say that Plato's Republic is Fe dominant.

I majored in Philosophy (focus on political philosophy) and it was great.
Glad to hear you enjoyed philosophy! I should probably reread Plato's Republic and pay attention to Fe notices. I've been thinking of focusing in on the following areas: religion, axiology, psychology, cosmology, etc., and related ones.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Glad to hear you enjoyed philosophy! I should probably reread Plato's Republic and pay attention to Fe notices. I've been thinking of focusing in on the following areas: religion, axiology, psychology, cosmology, etc., and related ones.
I think the entire project of The Republic is an Fe fantasy. Probably an Fe-Ni fantasy. It's all about creating the ideal social order.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Im thinking... just pick one. :s Ni-strength is that we can combine everything and find some spirituality in computer science and religion in philosophy. Infj with strong Ti is awesome. developing Ti will be super hard always.

But ye, I went with science. One who know some stuffs about psychology and spirituality and philosophy. Probably will end up flippin burgers at McDonalds

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
I'm a programmer so my job involves Ni-Ti and quite Fe too. Ni-Ti is used to figure out solutions and structuring them logically, while Fe is used to understand people's needs for the web applications and how to make them easier to use.

So I don't think that my Ti focused job is bad at all, it has been fun. :)

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
Reactions: Realeros

·
Banned
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm a programmer so my job involves Ni-Ti and quite Fe too. Ni-Ti is used to figure out solutions and structuring them logically, while Fe is used to understand people's needs for the web applications and how to make them easier to use.

So I don't think that my Ti focused job is bad at all, it has been fun. :)
Programming would be too much for me. How did you get into it? If you don't mind me asking, how did you develop your Ti such that you would be enjoying such a profession?

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Programming would be too much for me. How did you get into it? If you don't mind me asking, how did you develop your Ti such that you would be enjoying such a profession?
Before starting college in Computer Engineering, I was not really sure what I should choose and only chose that coz I succeeded at maths exam (what it took to get in) and coz I liked computers. Thought before the course I did have some geek vein in me lol. I've created very simple programs for my scientific calculator, created some websites with Geocities and ICQ's WYSIWYG site creators, created some lame HTML page just for fun as I had a computer subject in high school, and some other tweaking as well as computer fixing (software level, like cleaning virus, formatting computer and so on). So I enjoy building with some creativity and structuring, plus problem solving. :)

I did ponder if it was right for me as I also wanted something more creative and artistic, but somehow I decided to finish my course and then have been enjoying my work as programmer ever since. I do get bored if I'm stuck with the same stuffs or am not motivated with fresh stuffs to solve.
I enjoy web aplications development as there is visual component when designing the pages. :) I like thinking about how pages should behave and what to do to create them the ways I want.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
I don't see Philosophy as predominantly Ti-oriented. The more logical aspects of the study perhaps, but not so much the abstract speculation.

And the examination of certain values in regard to Philosophy seems highly Fi-based, but any NF or, scratch that, every person has a values system of some kind anyway.

I'd imagine an INFJ would be especially drawn to the more scientific aspects of Psychology:
The intellectual aspects paired with their innate ability to understand humans as a whole and as individuals (seeing both the forests and the trees, just as INTJ's do with many technical concepts, INFJ's do so with human nature - typically) would be especially rewarding.

And, seeing as INFJ's tend to thrive on seeing results, I imagine a therapy-related or research-related career would grant them much joy.

My Mom is some kind of I_FJ (I'm too close to her to be sure, you know?) and she contentedly studied calculus at a prestigious university, but even so, she took far more Psych courses than she needed to graduate merely because they enriched her soul :)
So whether you make your natural bent a vocation or a source of fulfillment on the side, I think initial well-roundedness in education is ideal for pretty much any type.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts