Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
5,075 Posts
I didn't think I could be happy to see one of your threads, but I clicked expecting an Anita Sarkeesian shitsmear and got an ME clip instead.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
from what I've seen, the violence against men is typically way worse. Also, I've never seen a correlation between violence against women in games and violence against women irl
Very well informed.

I worked at X place and they asked for an online game. They wanted no violence, their list was about forbidding:

- guns, flyign things that destroyed anything
- trowing rocks at someone or something (animals)
- no humans, animals or fictional characters should be hit, smashed, etc
- no pushing, no etc etc

It is evident where the list goes (all the stuff I won't post to save space), well basically all pointed out to word puzzles and they didn't want those. There are very cool games, but still some things like smashing an object were considered violent by some because it pushed you to feel good about something being destroyed. Well, as you can imagine no game was possible (besides games being very difficult to develop), no game was created. But the excercise of how many things can be considered violent was... impressive.

I don't know what to say. One of my exGF, actually an attorney-lawyer experienced a chapter of "pro-no-violence against women", almost everything we talked turned into "society hurts women" it was boring and absurd, lucky me it was only a chapter. Yet, she enjoyed music where she was actually saying "hit me papi / make me eat shit / I'm slutty dancing whore / make my hot ass happy/ slap me / play rough with me daddy / harder harder but I like it", well you get it, many lyrics are plainly stupid to the person singing it and turns out some songs are actually anthems to stupidity. She stopped talking so much about the topic, but never stopped hearing that music.

Oh violence... she was the one who raised a hand over me, and when warned about it she laughed and pushed me to the wall despite my martial arts background until I grab one of her fingers and made her go to the ground telling her "see? I told you all I need is one finger, you can't play like this, this is no game". The same woman who asked me to please please please play sex games where you fake-rape-me. Damn... such a long story.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
from what I've seen, the violence against men is typically way worse. Also, I've never seen a correlation between violence against women in games and violence against women irl
It's amusing that a few instances of violence against women get attention, but you have games that let you kill thousands of men and nobody cares. It is true that men are seen as normal and women are seen as different and there are problems with that, but there are unconsidered benefits wherein people are much more moved by plights that befall women, even in fiction.

That aside, video games are a form of escapism. Normal, healthy people can play violent games and not get violent IRL. Some crazy people might be set off, but they would just be set off by something else if violent video games weren't a thing.

·
Banned
5,075 Posts
Oh violence... she was the one who raised a hand over me, and when warned about it she laughed and pushed me to the wall despite my martial arts background until I grab one of her fingers and made her go to the ground telling her "see? I told you all I need is one finger, you can't play like this, this is no game". The same woman who asked me to please please please play sex games where you fake-rape-me. Damn... such a long story.
I am reaching a point where I am afraid that case is making me emotionally immune to the other.

Anecdotally I've seen 2 cases that match the classical depiction of a woman living in fear of her beating man, alongside about 15 cases where the slightest bit of digging and asking questions - even asking her - show a relationship where after years of being bitch slapped around the men finally "grabbed her arm violently" mid slap, and the alarm bell is that the later genuinely depict a victim narrative - they seem to even believe in it and not see the fact they slapped him around or threw things on his face or took a knife to his throat to be particularly contradictory with their victim narrative, and I am not entirely sure how to digest that reality without becoming empathically blind to the very real case where it's genuine. I wish I had the ability to be skeptical and ask questions without it being taken as offensive.

·
Charge'n Thru The Night
14,242 Posts
Better ask the question, do violence in video games cause kids to imitate them.

I think certain games needs to be kept away from kids, like a game about wife beating.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
This thread is asking the wrong question. The REAL question is: "should women against violence be banned in video games?", with the answer obviously being: "ask again later".

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I am reaching a point where I am afraid that case is making me emotionally immune to the other.

Anecdotally I've seen 2 cases that match the classical depiction of a woman living in fear of her beating man, alongside about 15 cases where the slightest bit of digging and asking questions - even asking her - show a relationship where after years of being bitch slapped around the men finally "grabbed her arm violently" mid slap, and the alarm bell is that the later genuinely depict a victim narrative - they seem to even believe in it and not see the fact they slapped him around or threw things on his face or took a knife to his throat to be particularly contradictory with their victim narrative, and I am not entirely sure how to digest that reality without becoming empathically blind to the very real case where it's genuine. I wish I had the ability to be skeptical and ask questions without it being taken as offensive.
Therein lies the problem; we see an attitude emerging where even the hint of critical thinking about the claim presented is construed as victim-blaming and attacked. This does not help the real victims of domestic abuse, but rather creates a climate of dysfunction where people on both sides start to see themselves as victims and distrust romantic partners. This is extraordinarily damaging to people both in and out of relationships, and not something that I can condone as a vision for society.

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
There ought to be more violence against women in video games if equality is to be truly had.
I am female, and I approve this message!

Campaign sponsored by Thomas the Tank Engine toys.

"Thomas the Tank Engine, he ain't the Dank Engine!"

·
Registered
3,765 Posts

x1000, There are legit stories of abuse and there are abusers lying all the time. I said it once and I say it again, we just can't believe everything someone says regarding abuse, specially if the stories have no structure and make no sense, there is always a background. Many women just like to tell the end of the story, not the beginning, and many don't even like to tell the story, instead they share their conclussion. I had very mind opening talks with psychologists who are my friends, the most cruel stories and opinions came from the female psychologist.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
This thread is asking the wrong question
Agreed. I've seen and I know a lot of people who are mean to animals, dogs, or cats, or birds, children, women, men, old people, etc and kind to everyone else. Violence comes in diff colors, I can't exactly agree on over protecting adults.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts