Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
332 Posts
Came across an intriguing article that argues in favor of avoiding people altogether: Mental Health News:

The article claims that avoiding people is ultimately good for our health. I guess this all depends on who we're talking about. Not ALL people are annoying and troublesome; we all have friends and relatives who are there for us when we need them and play a positive role in our lives. It seems the author is jaded about unfavorable experiences/relationships with different people and is now generalizing that everyone in the human population should be avoided like the plague.

If only things were really that cut-and-dried...

There are certain people (especially at work) whom you should avoid, but human beings can't go very long without human contact -- that's simply how we're wired.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Honestly this is a stupid article.

Pretty much all of my best moments were certainly not when I was by myself, and I know why, too--people are excellent sources of both ideas and memories. It's true that other people can be self-absorbed sometimes, but I find I can only be self-absorbed when I'm around others, able to describe my exploits and scope out projects to accomplish--another thing people are an excellent source of, actually. A lot of the good things I've made--stories, characters. etc., have come from games or requests from other people, and inspired by other people still.

Sure, it's true conversation can be inane, but that's only when you make it inane. If all you tune in to talk about is what your friend had to eat, then lo and behold, that's the kind of stuff that'll be talked about. If you find the right people, though, you'll be talking about much deeper or more productive, or more interesting issues.

So, other people are great. I agree that having hundreds of them to talk with is kind of pointless, but...that 2 or 3 figure? Matters. You want to milk as much out of them as you can.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Wow great article. I've spent too much of my life always asking others their opinions instead of trusting my myself.

·
Spam-I-am
13,706 Posts
Honestly this is a stupid article.

Pretty much all of my best moments were certainly not when I was by myself, and I know why, too--people are excellent sources of both ideas and memories. It's true that other people can be self-absorbed sometimes, but I find I can only be self-absorbed when I'm around others, able to describe my exploits and scope out projects to accomplish--another thing people are an excellent source of, actually. A lot of the good things I've made--stories, characters. etc., have come from games or requests from other people, and inspired by other people still.

Sure, it's true conversation can be inane, but that's only when you make it inane. If all you tune in to talk about is what your friend had to eat, then lo and behold, that's the kind of stuff that'll be talked about. If you find the right people, though, you'll be talking about much deeper or more productive, or more interesting issues.

So, other people are great. I agree that having hundreds of them to talk with is kind of pointless, but...that 2 or 3 figure? Matters. You want to milk as much out of them as you can.
I agree, people in general piss me off but what this jack off is talking about are introvert moments. not all ''I'' series need to be alone and what are this clowns credentials anyway? is he not aware of his personality type. sorry about the insults but the author of the article comes across as ignorant

·
Banned
2,886 Posts
The writer actually talks about events that include people actually or the aftermath of dealing with people in the first paragraph or two. I think he actually does enjoy people, but he needs alone time and it's nice to remind himself of when he's actually done well. A lot of times these things were with or by other people(listening to a radio show in his car for example)!! Hahaha...I totally relate with the article though. It's nice to realize affirmation from within. Also, being in the presence of actual people actually does stress me out.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,583 Posts
You should do whatever you want, expecting there to be some consistent ultimate truth is questionable.

Sometimes life is easier when you sew little pieces of yourself into other people, if that analogy doesn't sound too creepy.

l don't care too much about speaking 'for' myself, it sounds passive but to me it's like a responsibility l don't want to be bothered with and find it easier to look to the various people l've associated with when thinking about my life.

The risk being that, when they're gone or you fail to keep in contact, you don't have much to show for yourself-but you risk the same thing in never making any external-real world connections with people.

Reactions: Hollow Man

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
In my experience, other people tend to equal problems. In my experience, truly trustworthy people are too few and far between. In my experience, even the most well-spoken and charismatic individual can lack kindness and basic human decency.

So no, this article isn't a particularly hue revelation to me. In my experience, other people are a headache.

·
Sweet Matrimony.
ENTJ 8w7 so/sx
7,160 Posts
You should avoid selfish people altogether, sure why not?

My personal inclination is to be a lover not a fighter, but I've had to learn what emotional boundaries are in order to enforce the above. (I didn't learn it growing up because I have parents as useful as a fire resistant match.) Otherwise people will project their own BS on to you and suck you dry of all the happiness and fulfilment in your life.

I don't think I could "hate" people, I can't hold a grudge to save my life. Plus I have a high need for sensory and intellectual stimulation... And I think to truly be a misanthrope - you'd need to be so distrustful and avoidant of people in the first place.

I also don't think anyone is truly happy alone - they just see it as "safer" and thus, a necessary "evil." In which case, learning how to build some boundaries and how to enforce them would probably remedy their situation, but not everyone likes change and giving up control.

·
Registered
820 Posts
'...whether it’s driving home from my college campus while listening to late-night radio, receiving an A on a test for which I pulled an all-nighter while everyone else at home slept soundly, or leaving a job interview feeling confident I had the position in the bag.

In moments like these, I have felt splendidly in every sense of the word, though I couldn’t quite put my finger on why until now: It’s because other people weren’t around.'

Right ... or perhaps, maybe, with the latter two, it was because you felt like you accomplished something? Just maybe.

I couldn't get past the first couple of paragraphs.

·
Banned
2,886 Posts
'...whether it’s driving home from my college campus while listening to late-night radio, receiving an A on a test for which I pulled an all-nighter while everyone else at home slept soundly, or leaving a job interview feeling confident I had the position in the bag.

In moments like these, I have felt splendidly in every sense of the word, though I couldn’t quite put my finger on why until now: It’s because other people weren’t around.'

Right ... or perhaps, maybe, with the latter two, it was because you felt like you accomplished something? Just maybe.

I couldn't get past the first couple of paragraphs.
My sentiments exactly.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
That sends the frozen-ground-swell under it,
And spills the upper boulders in the sun,
And makes gaps even two can pass abreast.
The work of hunters is another thing:
I have come after them and made repair
Where they have left not one stone on a stone,
But they would have the rabbit out of hiding,
To please the yelping dogs. The gaps I mean,
No one has seen them made or heard them made,
But at spring mending-time we find them there.
I let my neighbor know beyond the hill;
And on a day we meet to walk the line
And set the wall between us once again.
We keep the wall between us as we go.
To each the boulders that have fallen to each.
And some are loaves and some so nearly balls
We have to use a spell to make them balance:
'Stay where you are until our backs are turned!'
We wear our fingers rough with handling them.
Oh, just another kind of out-door game,
One on a side. It comes to little more:
There where it is we do not need the wall:
He is all pine and I am apple orchard.
My apple trees will never get across
And eat the cones under his pines, I tell him.
He only says, 'Good fences make good neighbors'.
Spring is the mischief in me, and I wonder
If I could put a notion in his head:
'Why do they make good neighbors? Isn't it
Where there are cows?
But here there are no cows.
Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
What I was walling in or walling out,
And to whom I was like to give offence.
Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
That wants it down.' I could say 'Elves' to him,
But it's not elves exactly, and I'd rather
He said it for himself. I see him there
Bringing a stone grasped firmly by the top
In each hand, like an old-stone savage armed.
He moves in darkness as it seems to me~
Not of woods only and the shade of trees.
He will not go behind his father's saying,
And he likes having thought of it so well
He says again, "Good fences make good neighbors."

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Yes at certain times in our lives it's best to depart from certain individuals if we would like to grow or be sane. At other times, not so much.

I kind of had an epiphany just in the past day or so that if I go with my usual "self preservation" instinct and run North, what I am actually doing is avoiding a highly fulfilling though turbulent relationship, everything I have built in the past four years, and furthermore my "cause" of what I want to do in life becomes utterly selfish, because unless I work on the place I am now, I could unwittingly be abandoning this place to the fates and unintentionally contributing to the suffering of a six year old and a four year old I know right now.

I have honestly never thought of children in that way, but really, instead of running away for just me for once, I am leaving behind a whole fuck load of humanity, including a little girl and a little boy who might want a world to grow up in.

(Yes, I am an environmentalist, and our polar ice caps are melting.)

·
Mastodon Hunter
8,093 Posts
I just saw the name of the website and knew I should discard the person's opinion. Avoiding people will lead to nothing good. Especially to those who are not close to their family and have no friends. I knew a guy like that, and he was a afraid of most people and refused to make friends and like 2 years later he broke down and had to be institutionalized. He got out in like 6 months, luckily... But it could have been avoided if he hadn't let his bad situations with people reflect itself in everybody else.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.