Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
I feel like if there are aliens out there trying to understand them by our rules is a totally fucking pointless exercise. When we imagine aliens we imagine them to be like we will be a few hundred years in the future, with the same motives and mentality. Why? It seems ludicrously anthropocentric.

EDIT:

On topic, them potentially blowing us up is totally worth knowing they exist.

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
I saw this article on the Tech Times: Scientists Come Up With New Plan To Contact Aliens : SCIENCE : Tech Times

Anyone else think this is a bad idea?

Think about it, if a technologically advanced alien race came to Earth, what's to keep them from treating us the same way European explorers/setters treated the indigenous peoples of the Americas?
We should definitely contact aliens.

If we want to die or become slaves. :th_woot:

But, if nothing else-- Our existence is rather boring. Let's stir shite up and see what happens. If humanity isn't stronger after the encounter, well, humanity had a good run. Next up: The Neulobians. :kitteh:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Yea if they are technological enough to travel here, they have will have no need to conquer. Chances are their technology will have solved any needs they may have and make it highly unlikely that we would have anything they would need. It would probably be more like a Starfleets prime directive scenario.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Only on the INTP forum :tongue: the ENTJ's top post right now is something about "how do you feel about authenticity" and lots of very serious posts, then I come to the INTP forum and it's... aliens (you guys are great, never change)

I honestly don't think they'll be successful, so it doesn't really matter. In principle, the idea that they even have anything resembling communication that we can fathom seems absurd. I mean, it's possible some sort of convergent evolution applies across planets, but the likelihood they'll be humanoid, multi celled, AND capable of communication is almost mathematically impossible. If they were advanced enough to communicate, they're probably already looking for us.

About the morals behind it... technology and computers are probably a manmade construct. It's very unlikely other civilizations have them. (Can you see I'm having trouble moving past the logistics? Welcome to Te-land, we don't serve tea.) Anyway. The potential for communication has a lot of technological benefits, but I think we're best off ignoring them and not trying to reach out to them until they decide to come to us. The benefits of reaching out could include forming a pre-emptive alliance, making sure ignoring them doesn't offend their culture, getting cool tech. The detriments seem to be that it a. stops us from growing on our own, b. moves us forward before we're ready and gives us power we can't control and aren't ready for (I don't trust Bush with an AK47, let alone his own death star), and c. poses a lot of potential risks.

The knowledge would be awesome, but it's a bit like peeking at the answers at the back of the book. You don't actually learn anything, and you'll probably get caught for cheating by some phenomenal cosmic force (fate or a principal, take your pick)

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Yea if they are technological enough to travel here, they have will have no need to conquer. Chances are their technology will have solved any needs they may have and make it highly unlikely that we would have anything they would need. It would probably be more like a Starfleets prime directive scenario.

Because this has worked so well with the United States and its technology-aided reign of terror :ninja: people want power, it's an evolved necessity to protect our families and tribes. If aliens evolved in the same hunter-gatherer groups we did, then maybe

Idk, I just think this is a bit idealistic

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't imagine aliens being much worse than what we as humans are capable of. In fact I almost wish we would get conquered because we need some serious moral adjustments and we need em now. I mean Jesus christ did you know we're making cars that can take selfies!? Meanwhile a whole island of ppl have already been evacuated due to rising sea levels from global warming and that moronic governor in the south wants Nasa to halt research on it. Putin is trying to start WW3 and corporate greed is halting progress in substantial areas of research and development. Imo we'd be lucky to get invaded before we destroy ourselves.

Our only current hope are the new pushes into space and the search for new habitable planets. At least that way some of us may survive to learn from the coming apocalypse.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I just wish there was a means to do so that would actually be effective. People need to know how to use quantum mechanic's "spooky action at a distance" to send signals beyond the light speed barrier. It would be interesting if this were used to "virtually" travel to other worlds by relaying detailed signals back to earth based on the environment somehow.

Obviously the light barrier frustrates me.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I think observe at a distance would be safer, before actually contacting anyone, assuming that we'd have enough in common to even understand communication.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I don't imagine aliens would look or act anything even remotely close to our stereotyped anthropomorphic visions of space faring entities. It's something we literally have no context for, and as has been mentioned before, if they are capable of traversing space at vast lengths and overcoming space-time limitations, they're not even in the same ballpark as us.

Words would fail us to describe such creatures.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Because this has worked so well with the United States and its technology-aided reign of terror :ninja: people want power, it's an evolved necessity to protect our families and tribes. If aliens evolved in the same hunter-gatherer groups we did, then maybe

Idk, I just think this is a bit idealistic

I think there are three primary reasons tribes try to conquer one another.

1. natural resources

2. ideolology enforcement

3. power trips

I beleive you can eliminate #1 based on what i said earlier. If they are technologically advanced enough to travel the galaxy then they would be able to harvest resources anywhere. Even more probable, they would have the ability to replicate whatever resource they would need.

#2 is a bit more tricky. I dont suppose an advanced race would adhere to some cooky ideolology given that these tend to be a symtom of a primative mind. Also as a risk assessment flaw. They would probably view our civilization as primative and unable at this stage of our developement to grasp or accept any ideological principal they would want to impose. They would also gain nothing in trying to impose anything on us for reasons listed in #1.

#3 is a bit similar to #2 and i do agree that humanity is not yet at the stage of evolution necessary to use technology as a source for advancing humantiy rather than kill it. However we are very slowly moving in that direction. The transformation is so slow that you can barely see the needle move but it is moving. I think that a symtom of a technologically advanced society would be a more enlightened society. Otherwise they would have killed themselves off before they reached the ability to traverse the universe.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I love life as it is and therefore I judge the risk of contacting aliens to not be worth it.

...But feel free to do so after I'm gone :D

Reactions: GhostCrow

·
Banned
2,375 Posts
Think about it, if a technologically advanced alien race came to Earth, what's to keep them from treating us the same way European explorers/setters treated the indigenous peoples of the Americas?
Nothing. And that's why humans are doing it, because of opportunities and curiosity, though we do not know if aliens would be technologically advanced or better evolved than us, that's just an assumption with no probability statistics.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Why would something that advanced even bother to gas up the cosmic jet fuel to make a trip to earth?

Couldn't they theoretically do that from the comfort of their own galaxy in simulated reality? If they've conquered matter then they have the technology to bring the 'earthlings' to them. They don't even need to lift a finger if they've mapped their own perception to a degree capable of having full control of its manipulation.

Maybe they haven't visited us because they're too busy exploring inner space in a recursive loop.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I think there are three primary reasons tribes try to conquer one another.

1. natural resources

2. ideolology enforcement

3. power trips

I beleive you can eliminate #1 based on what i said earlier. If they are technologically advanced enough to travel the galaxy then they would be able to harvest resources anywhere. Even more probable, they would have the ability to replicate whatever resource they would need.

#2 is a bit more tricky. I dont suppose an advanced race would adhere to some cooky ideolology given that these tend to be a symtom of a primative mind. Also as a risk assessment flaw. They would probably view our civilization as primative and unable at this stage of our developement to grasp or accept any ideological principal they would want to impose. They would also gain nothing in trying to impose anything on us for reasons listed in #1.

#3 is a bit similar to #2 and i do agree that humanity is not yet at the stage of evolution necessary to use technology as a source for advancing humantiy rather than kill it. However we are very slowly moving in that direction. The transformation is so slow that you can barely see the needle move but it is moving. I think that a symtom of a technologically advanced society would be a more enlightened society. Otherwise they would have killed themselves off before they reached the ability to traverse the universe.
If we're going with the assumption they reason like us, I'm going to empirics at you: Imperialism.

1. Natural resources- even if they can make them themselves, since when has anyone been satisfied with everything they have? It's greed, pure and simple. Nobody needs everything they have except food, water, shelter, and air- everything else is desire for more brought about by evolution. If they evolved like we did, they will want resources.

2. Again, this didn't stop the Spanish from building missions in California to try and christianize the natives. If anything, this encourages them to enslave us and teach us "civilization"- empirically, this is what happens. And assuming they don't have ideologies seems either overly optimistic or reliant on a hive mind, which we can't assume they have.

To address the replication point: this isn't star trek (much as I sometimes wish it was), and until they can break the laws of physics to create matter, this isn't possible. Atoms have to come from somewhere.

3. We can travel the universe, and we haven't killed ourselves off yet. Scientific advancement is different from destroying ideological divisions. Also, I don't feel comfortable making the assumption that they'll be benevolent and we'll be able to communicate without offending them when there's a possibility that I'm wrong, and being wrong could get everyone killed (literally).

We're like the ant trying to say hi to the boot. Rarely ends well for the ant, if only because we can't hear them.

·
Registered
940 Posts
More on the subject:

Dr. Kaku on UFO's hypothetically visiting us:

"In my point of view, when you're down at the countryside and see an ant hill, do you go down to the ants and say, "I bring you crickets, I bring you bees, I give you nuclear energy."? Or perhaps you step on a few of them?

If they're are that advanced, maybe they're are simply not that interested in us?"

- Michio Kaku

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.