Personality Cafe banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it's not a thing that only INFPs or all INFPs do, but why do some of us do this? Like staying home all week doing nothing productive and not answering e-mails/the phone/the door/not seeing another human face. It is so dumb and just get us in deeper shit. But sometimes it feels like a necessary evil cycle, to butthead the world right in the face for like a month, then retreat into a batcave for the week following that. WHYYY? D:

·
Registered
17,350 Posts
I LIKE BEING ALONE FISCI! WHY WON'T YOU LEAVE ME ALONE!

XD

I never liked going out too much, I think too much can overwhelm me easily, fries my brain.
My batcave is my Fortress of Solitude :th_woot:

In fact, during school years my time at school was all I could bare socially, I liked being alone after school. I just always needed time to regroup and be away, even now my parents give me a lot of space and don't bother me too much.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
It's the path of least resistance for me. I dunno, feels more natural. Although I can't just ignore phone calls and anyone else trying to contact me, that makes me feel irresponsible (but much less so with friends than an appointment or something work-related). I do try to max out how long I can go ignoring, though. :laughing:

Reactions: Thread Killer

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
I do this for two reasons:

a) I want to kill myself, but don't want anyone else to have to deal with my bullshit.

b) I have to fulfill some obligation, but I'm too lazy to do it, so I disappear for a bit until people have forgotten about it.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I think it's not a thing that only INFPs or all INFPs do, but why do some of us do this? Like staying home all week doing nothing productive and not answering e-mails/the phone/the door/not seeing another human face. It is so dumb and just get us in deeper shit. But sometimes it feels like a necessary evil cycle, to butthead the world right in the face for like a month, then retreat into a batcave for the week following that. WHYYY? D:
Days? Haha, I currently haven't spoken to anyone outside of my family since December. :p

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Yeah for me if it's something this drastic, it turns into months, not days. On a normal basis I retreat to be alone every couple of days if I can (living w/ 2 roommates-- both ExFJs) but it's normally unsuccessful. But lately I've been on this "fuck the world" kick for about a month. We'll see how it goes XD I will say, it's not doing my job any favors.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
1. I love being left alone, it is necessary for my being even though I can be outgoing and have peaks of extroversion.
2. Seriously most often I am less bored being alone versus being in company doing uninteresting stuffs. My mind does tricks and I puke rainbows.
3. FiSi loop, I feel like I want to be invisible for reasons that is different than wanting to be left alone :( Enneagram 4 plays its role too.

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
This has become a highly recurring trend for me. It's come up in lengthy conversation with people who are concerned about me. A couple of people have even told me that they would be afraid to have me live alone just because of the intense bouts of isolation I subject myself to.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I only do this if I'm upset, I usually know when I'm doing it and who to, but I cannot seem to get myself to answer. I feel like I'm trapped in my own negative thoughts, and I don't want to spread it onto anyone else. I think we need time to really process in those moments, even though it sucks for other people in our lives. It's something I'm trying to work on, but we really just need to work on setting up boundaries and being honest, rather than not answering at all. People would rather you say "I can't talk to anyone right now, it's not personal," rather than pulling a Houdini.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
I don't do "nothing", there isn't such a thing. I make art, read books of all kinds (fiction, self-help, classics, philosophy, anything...), deep clean my house, introspect, journal, watch thought provoking films, exercise, put extra focus on my eating habits, discover new music, dream up new goals...
The things to do are endless.

Why I shut down? Because I'm exhausted.

and not answering e-mails/the phone/the door/not seeing another human face.
The people in my life are... well, normal. Meaning that they drain me quickly. This is because I don't have strong bonds with them, not even with my family. Whenever I had a strong bond with someone, they didn't drain me as much and I could be with them for hours and hours, and hugs are energizing (in this case, this person is the abnormal one in my life). Since I don't have anybody like that in my life currently, I rely on myself alone to soothe my nervous system. I wouldn't go to any of the people around me for hugs or anything, just thinking of hugging my parents makes me vomit, ew.

It is so dumb and just get us in deeper shit.
? I don't experience this "dumb" and "deeper shit". Disappearing heals me, rejuvenates me and then I come back with force.

I do easily forget to contact people on a weekly basis (namely my parents and sister), I can go six months easily without even remembering their existence.
It's even worse with acquaintances. Mainly because I rotate my acquaintances, I rarely call the same person in consecutive weeks (mostly because I think I'm bothering them and they probably have more important things to do than dedicate their time to me), but most important of all, I don't care, these people are just not important in my life, they are replaceable. If I cared, you bet I would be calling everyday.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Agree with everyone on the whole "months vs. days". Days? That's nothing man, not even INFP hermit mode. But its fun as hell, people trying to drag me out of hermit mode is kinda irritating. Need to come up for air on my own time. I suck at keeping up with acquaintances. Just three people I keep in regular contact, the ones that matter.

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
I'm glad this subject is being talked about again. I've definitely been in this mode for a long time now.

I just had a lengthy chat with my roommate for the first time in I'd say at least two weeks (feels about that long) and the experience of just talking to another human being is somewhat surreal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts