Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
605 Posts
I'm just really guarded at first with some people...I'm hesitant to act the way I really feel like until I feel them out.
I'm the same way, only I also end up feeling weird breaking established behavior with people. So really, it's best if the other person somehow makes me feel comfortable with them ASAP... or meet at a boring theme park.

Reactions: wisefaery

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Same here... I think it stems from when I was a kid and being a bit of a misfit and being told I'm weird... anyone would have classed me as an I... then I got older, met cooler less stuck up people, some of the stuck up people realised life isn't black and white and I grew into my true E side...

If I meet people who remind me of primary school though I still feel incredibly akward...
Yeah...I honestly think some of it goes back to feeling attacked for speaking what I thought when I was a kid. Not really at school so much though... mostly by my parents who I obviously wasn't compatible with personality wise. :crying: I'm going to refrain from crying a river about my childhood though. Haha.

I also used to have a problem with just blurting things out without thinking beforehand. :blushed:

Fine...I admit to still having that problem sometimes. :laughing: I've gotten better though. Maybe too much better in some cases...which is where the shyness with certain people comes into play. I hold back too much at times.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'm the same way, only I also end up feeling weird breaking established behavior with people. So really, it's best if the other person somehow makes me feel comfortable with them ASAP... or meet at a boring theme park.
Wow! I've never seen someone that was 100 percent introverted before. Awesome!

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Any other shy extroverts here?
I'm more reserved than anything and I score consistently as an INTP. These days, I just prefer to spend as much time as possible alone. And I don't think that 'reserved' and 'extroverted' are mutually exclusive as some people do. I'm not referring to the OP, just other people in general.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Good point, Lara. Extroverted doesn't HAVE to mean obnoxiously loud, boisterous, and confident. Sure, it can, but I think it does not for the majority of people.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Wow! I've never seen someone that was 100 percent introverted before. Awesome!
Lol. My stats fluctuate between extreme and moderate introvert. It also depends on who I'm with and the general context. My dad told me I was "always an extrovert"; a friend from school (she doesn't know me incredibly well yet) said I'm a "middle introvert". Before moving to the city I'm in now, I often fantasized about spending months alone on an island. So as far as expression goes, I seem to be across the board. I view myself as strongly introverted though.

Reactions: MilkyWay132

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Lol. My stats fluctuate between extreme and moderate introvert. It also depends on who I'm with and the general context. My dad told me I was "always an extrovert"; a friend from school (she doesn't know me incredibly well yet) said I'm a "middle introvert". Before moving to the city I'm in now, I often fantasized about spending months alone on an island. So as far as expression goes, I seem to be across the board. I view myself as strongly introverted though.
Hmmm. Interesting!

I've often fantasized about spending months alone on an island as well! I take that back...not months. More like a month. I think I would get tired of it after about a week though. I'd start talking to a volleyball or something like Tom Hanks in Castaway. I'd pick a better name then Wilson though. :wink:

·
Banned
605 Posts
I think I would get tired of it after about a week though.
Theory and practice might not line up as well as I'd like, I grant you that. Ideally, I'd be on that island with one other person... that I have yet to meet. I'd finally have a reason to WANT to do manual labor (I prefer thinking work). Building a Swiss Family Robinson complex would be fun! :crazy:

I'd start talking to a volleyball or something like Tom Hanks in Castaway. I'd pick a better name then Wilson though. :wink:
That would be fun to watch! You could act out the Shakespeare scene and everything!... Or Highlander. That would probably be much more amusing actually. :happy:

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
That would be fun to watch! You could act out the Shakespeare scene and everything!... Or Highlander. That would probably be much more amusing actually. :happy:
Haha. Definitely something Highlander related! In fact… I know exactly what song I would sing to my volleyball friend:

·
Banned
605 Posts
Haha. Definitely something Highlander related! In fact… I know exactly what song I would sing to my volleyball friend:

YouTube - Queen - Who Wants To Live Forever (High Quality)
That song always gives me the urge to raise my hand... "Who wants to live forever?" "I do! I do! (pick me?)"
Good song. =)

Just be careful for when your "friend" decides to follow up that question with an answer of his/it's own. *cue horror music*

Reactions: MilkyWay132

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm just really guarded at first with some people...I'm hesitant to act the way I really feel like until I feel them out.
HA HA HA... boy do i know how this feels...

so so so petrified of starting random conversations with people because I don't want to be a bother... and then I kick myself in the ass afterwards because I chickened out of chatting with them...

There is this one girl I see once in a while (she works for brinks and picks up money from where I work)... I have been wanting to ask her out for coffee for like 3 months now... but haven't...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the years of being painfully shy. Then I faced something horrible and it brought change. I learnt that accepting you could just be OK was the most liberating thought. ie. embracing mediocrity allowed me not to have to worry about what other people felt and hence I could relax - and maybe even be great.

I think then everything fell into place re. my character and it fully developed which whilst made me a lot more likeable, I think - it also brought quite a bit of concern to everyone around me given I had been so stable and career focused up to that point and now I quit my job every 6 months with nothing to move onto and am constantly thinking about moving my career in new directions.

But I've made my career (which is a totally totally non ENFP career - laughably on a list high up there on another post I read this evening) people focused and about helping and I think that's been really good.

But I think a character can be masked. Definitely - and sometimes it just needs a trigger to come out in full.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm an I/ENFP split. Last test said I was only a 1% preference on the I. When I was younger, I used to test STRONG as an E. But I also grew up in a really small town and knew almost everyone. When I went to school (a small school, but still), I started to feel a little more I, but never extremely. The only time it gets really extreme on the "I" is if I am working through some serious stuff I need to give myself space to figure out (and then it is a good thing!) or if I am really down (like going through a really tough period of my life). But most of the time, I feel pretty E some days and pretty I the other.

Also, I feel pretty E if I am with people I know a little and am comfortable with already. I told a good friend (an ENFP) that I tested as INFP usually, and he wouldn't believe me. He said he would only think of me as a "loud I":blushed:. I think it has to do with how comfortable I am. Also I really love being with people, but mostly in smaller groups, where I can have quality conversations. In large groups, it's not like I am nervous, but I tend not to say as much. Paradoxically, I make a good deal of my money as a children's party entertainer, where I am really the center of attention and running the show. So it is not as if I don't have the skills to really be extroverted and be the center of attention. It's just that, in my natural setting, I am more likely to observe and "take it in" first in large groups of people that I don't know and then start conversations with smaller groups of people. I love large parties, and I love meeting new people at large parties, but I am most comfortable talking to people in smaller groups or one on one. I love really getting into deep, philosophical discussions and exchanging ideas with people, and it's easiest for me if we are in a smaller group.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm really weird and shy around girls... My randomness tends to shoot up when I'm around them.

I tend to forget what to say... so I guess that qualifies as shy?

Can't even place a cup properly on the table without thinking how awkward I'd looks while doing it infront of a girl while talking to her, resulting in an awkward cup positioning all the same

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had to respond to this. I'm confused! I've taken so many MBTI tests and I always score INFP. However, I'm not at a great place in my life at the moment. My shyness sometimes manifests itself into social anxiety , which once induced an extreme case of agraphobia around a year ago. I'm wondering whether I'm really a shy ENFP. All the other functions resonate with me except for the I/E. I posted my dlema in the INFP forum, but I'll try to brake it down. I was a loud, assertive child who always stood up for what was right and championed the underdog. However, I remember always being plagued with cripplingly low self-confidence. I'd try to mask it and managed to dupe a lot of people. Now as an adult I just feel like a giant mass of contradictions. Some people say I'm an introvert, yet others laugh when I claim to be one - ''If only'' they say ''then we might get some peace and quiet!''. I can't shut up around some people. I've retreated as much as possible from the real world, using my fear of rejection as an excuse. Don't get me wrong, I love my alone time, but I do sometimes get lonely. I'm not able to ''zone out'' like many introvert when my environment is hectic. The slightest noise, smell ect will disrupt me. I need my surroundings to be ''just right'' in order to work. I'm very easily distracted, but I can concentrate intensely on a subject which sparks my interest. What the hell am I?:angry:

·
Registered
297 Posts
I had to respond to this. I'm confused! I've taken so many MBTI tests and I always score INFP. However, I'm not at a great place in my life at the moment. My shyness sometimes manifests itself into social anxiety , which once induced an extreme case of agraphobia around a year ago. I'm wondering whether I'm really a shy ENFP. All the other functions resonate with me except for the I/E. I posted my dlema in the INFP forum, but I'll try to brake it down. I was a loud, assertive child who always stood up for what was right and championed the underdog. However, I remember always being plagued with cripplingly low self-confidence. I'd try to mask it and managed to dupe a lot of people. Now as an adult I just feel like a giant mass of contradictions. Some people say I'm an introvert, yet others laugh when I claim to be one - ''If only'' they say ''then we might get some peace and quiet!''. I can't shut up around some people. I've retreated as much as possible from the real world, using my fear of rejection as an excuse. Don't get me wrong, I love my alone time, but I do sometimes get lonely. I'm not able to ''zone out'' like many introvert when my environment is hectic. The slightest noise, smell ect will disrupt me. I need my surroundings to be ''just right'' in order to work. I'm very easily distracted, but I can concentrate intensely on a subject which sparks my interest. What the hell am I?:angry:
I say this many many times...

when it comes to us NPs, I/E really does not matter a whole heck of a lot... the reason being is the nature of Ne... the way Ne works is on a lot more subtle level... Ne is about gathering external stimuli and extrapolating globalizations about it, which we then process either withour Fi or Ti depending on xNFP or xNTP...

since al E does is swap our cogntive functions order INxPs are Xi/Ne, ENxPs are Ne/Xi... most NxPs tend to dwell in the fantasy world... most NxPs often have some people in their lives who are sure they Is and others who are sure they are Es...

for example... right now I am on a cruise ship with my mom... we went for dinner a few nights ago and was seated at a tablewith 8 other people... I carried the conversation basically for the entire 2 hours during dinner... I said to my mom "who would have thought I would be the centre of attention for dinner" she said "I KNEW you would be..."

Dont worry too much about your I/E... NxPs are some of the best chamealeons in society... we really can blend into most situations... make sure you get help and get comfortable with yourself again... even if its just talking to a friend... feel free to PM me if you need an ear... "love yourself, love others"...

I was suicidal for about 9 years of my life...sometimes even now urges come back... I know how scary and dark our own minds can be...

huggles, good luck!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm not shy, per say. It's complicated. Around certain people (many) I can be out loud and fun and not care what anybody thinks. But when I'm around certain people with personalities even bigger than mine or the popular kids, I have to watch how I act or go into the background a little. Everyone says I seem shy at first but then they get to know me and I'm really not. Then I get attached to people. It depends on the situation and how I'm feeling. The difference between an extrovert and an introvert is that an extrovert likes to be around people and could (if the opportunity comes) socialize for hours or talk non-stop. A introvert would never do so or rarely and wouldn't talk as much. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am too bloody confused about all this Myers Briggs stuff. My boyfriend is true to his INTP description and he's so happy he fits it, it makes sense to him.

I've always been typed as ENFP even though Im a bit low-key sometimes (and HATE being the centre of attention), so now I'm thinking I'm an INFP. Or an INFJ/ENFJ cos I really really value punctuality. Nothing pisses me off more in the every day of life than people being late, or bad customer service. Its just one of my things!

In the work environment I can be very sociable and warm, but when I'm suspicious or uncomfortable about someone, I try to avoid them, then resent the way I'm feeling/acting which compromises my usual open sunny self.

I have a lotta conflicts. But I wish I could have the certainty my boyfriend does about his myers briggs personality profile!!!!!!!! Please box me I need to know!!! :p

21 - 40 of 43 Posts