Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering what introversion and extroversion really are lately. I first took the MBTI in early 2007 and scored as ENFP. Took it again in both late 2007 and early 2008 and again scored as ENFP. I was probably quite ambiverted despite the E score as I've always been very private. Around June 2008, I did something really immature and fell into a sort of depression where I did nothing but hate on myself and dwell on that one event for half a year. I became immensely insecure and consequently, with no self confidence, became somewhat of a wallflower. Ever since then, I've consistently scored as either INFP or INTP with very high scores on introversion. Nowadays I've mostly gotten over it, but I can't help but wonder if that event "turned me into" a stronger introvert or was at least a major catalyst in the maturing of my personality. I wonder if scars from it (bah I sound so melodramatic) remain in my subconscious that cause me to prefer certain introverted traits that I didn't before. People who have known me for a long time have said I went from fluffy to ice cold. Although I don't doubt my type, I don't think I have always been this way. I sometimes think I don't know who I am at the core. Does anyone else relate?

·
Registered
431 Posts
I can sorta relate... most people that know me might think I was an extrovert.. I enjoy time spent with people and I love to go out and socialize but I can only go for so long before I feel like I'm going nuts inside my head. I think a lot of it has to do with the type of people you surround yourself with and how overall your relationships are.

you say you went into a depression though so you might just be an unhealthy extrovert, or very self conscious

·
Registered
251 Posts
I can relate. At about 11, I tested as an ENFP, with about 60% E. By high school, childhood abuse had gotten to me (from other kids who bullied me, and from crazy situations at home) and I became a lot more introverted, and tested as an INFP. As an adult, I still test as an INFP, consistently.

At my core I am me. INFP profiles seem to fit me best, but I associate with some ENFP traits too (and reading over ENFP profiles, I also notice some traits that I would have associated with in the past, but don't anymore). I was probably very ambiverted in the beginning as well, since I was private, too. I also have a high level of T, about 40%, sometimes slightly less. But when I read INFP profiles, they seem to fit me very, very well.

This might sound crazy, but I've found that a lot of non-INFP-like traits I have seem to be very well explained by my astrological birth chart (not just sun signs or horoscopes - those are complete crap!). It doesn't make any sense why, it's not scientifically proven or anything like MBTI, but it really does seem to be the case. :confused:

I often wonder what I would have been like had circumstance not pushed me into introversion. But honestly, I don't know. Whatever the case is, I'm obviously meant to be who I am now, because that is who I am, now. :laughing: All we can do is work with what we've got!

That, and most people aren't near 100% one type. We all fall at different places along the scale. While you may identify as an INFP, an ENFP, or an INTP, you are still only you, and not any of those things, even if that's what you tell other people! But it does make things a bit easier to know what type you lean towards, so good luck! :proud:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can sorta relate... most people that know me might think I was an extrovert.. I enjoy time spent with people and I love to go out and socialize but I can only go for so long before I feel like I'm going nuts inside my head. I think a lot of it has to do with the type of people you surround yourself with and how overall your relationships are.

you say you went into a depression though so you might just be an unhealthy extrovert, or very self conscious
I'm like you in that I do enjoy socializing - not for long periods of time, but I do look forward to it. I really do like getting to know people... I just don't know how to do it without becoming self conscious or second guess myself. Maybe you're right.
I wonder if I should even be dwelling on this. Why does it matter? Why do I need to know who I am? Why can't I just go and live? kjdfghsjdgfjkl

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can relate. At about 11, I tested as an ENFP, with about 60% E. By high school, childhood abuse had gotten to me (from other kids who bullied me, and from crazy situations at home) and I became a lot more introverted, and tested as an INFP. As an adult, I still test as an INFP, consistently...
Thanks a lot, I can relate to what you said too. Haha... I am me... but I don't know what "me" is. I'm on a quest to find out. Why am I on this quest? I haven't figured that out yet either. The old me lead to the current me and I don't get why. It's the same for all people. Maybe I figure that once I understand myself I can understand others... I kind of use MBTI as a tool for figuring out "me" and other peoples' "me"s in a general sense, but the more I think about it, it doesn't cover much.

We are all very complicated. Or maybe really simple. Jeez, I don't even know.
I'll look into the astrological birth charts :)

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Sort of relate..Like your introversion/extroversion come up depending on your moods, until you're not sure whether you're I or E..right?or am i confused?:confused:

·
Registered
752 Posts
I've always been an INFP at heart, although when I first tested I scored IXFP. After that, it's been consistent INFP with a very rare ISFP.

With all of that aside, I really do think that certain things that we go through in life can cause us to shift letters, since our very outlook can possibly change at its core.

As for knowing myself at the core, I'm always trying to figure something out about myself...I think everyone is in their own unique way.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I was more extroverted as a child. I made friends easily, but always enjoyed quiet activities and working on projects by myself. As I've grown up, I find myself becoming more and more introverted. But I question, also, exactly what introversion is. I enjoy socializing with like-minded people who are... nice... or who obviously do not have bad intentions. I experience some social anxiety with casual social interaction but do ok and feel most comfortable in a group of 3-6 people. The social anxiety is the reason I question whether I'm an introvert or what introversion actually is. I went through some trauma myself in my pre-teens and ever since then I really veered towards the introverted end of the spectrum.

Reactions: clear moon

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I think its possible. I have reason to believe my gf may be an E whose extrovertedness is 'covered up' by her condition. Now she strongly dislikes groups and gatherings of people.

Whereas I myself have always been an I type.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts