Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a little theory, not sure if it plays out in real life, but from the people I know it seems to. I don't know if I really understand the functions correctly, but this is my impression of how they seem to work.

I wonder if Si tends to encourage one to not throw things away?
Si - seems to like familiarity in the environment - using familiar things is more efficient/feels better than new things - especially when you have to figure it out and change habits.
Si - seems to like security/certainty based on what you already have or know
Si - seems to be more linked to memories thus more likely to find nostalgia or sentiment in objects
Si - seems more interested in re-experiencing familiar things
Si - seems to like operating on presets - thus planning ahead and storing up to make that possible

(I would further speculate that Ne is great at generating all the possible uses for something and all the posible scenerios in which one might need it which feeds the Si inclination to hold onto it in preparation for those possibilities).

I wonder if Se tends to encourage one to weed out extra stuff?
Se - seems to be concerned with what's usefull right now vs. what's in the way right now
Se - seems more confident in finding/creating what is needed when it is needed, rather than relying on things that have been stored for that purpose in advance
Se - seems to be more interested in novel experiences than in familiar surroundings, so the old makes way for the new. Discovering how new things work is more engaging than using old things.
Se - seems more inclined to use/do something once and then move on to other things: 'been there, done that' mentality, so is less likely to keep needing the same things - it was nice, but I'm probably not going to use it again, now it's just preventing me from moving on
Se - seems to be more aware of what's actually here now and less likely to take for granted a static, familiar environment - not flustered by something being gone, gets tired of looking at the same thing for years

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
My ISFJ wife is less likely to keep old stuff than what I am. And my INTJ father is the person I know who is most likely to found a museum just to have somewhere safe to store his keepsakes. So based on that small piece of information, Se preferrers would seem to be more likely than Si ones to be pack rats...

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I mean, since you have evidence to back it up, maybe. In my experiences, I don't really think this plays out - my parents are both Si doms and really aren't materialistic at all. I know plenty of Se type pack-rats (actually, I find that some of the Se types I know play up nostalgia more than some of the Si types I know, but just in a more objective way, like in terms of the tangible details, rather than this "I was there" thing you might get with Si types). For the most part though, I don't think such a thing is type-related. People usually have a motive for it that has nothing to do with their cognitive processing.

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Se - seems to be concerned with what's usefull right now vs. what's in the way right now
Se - seems more confident in finding/creating what is needed when it is needed, rather than relying on things that have been stored for that purpose in advance
Se - seems to be more interested in novel experiences than in familiar surroundings, so the old makes way for the new. Discovering how new things work is more engaging than using old things.
Se - seems more inclined to use/do something once and then move on to other things: 'been there, done that' mentality, so is less likely to keep needing the same things - it was nice, but I'm probably not going to use it again, now it's just preventing me from moving on
Se - seems to be more aware of what's actually here now and less likely to take for granted a static, familiar environment - not flustered by something being gone, gets tired of looking at the same thing for years
A lot of this applies to Ne also, so may be it's more accurate to say Pe not just Se (Pe is perceiving extraverted functions which includes both Ne and Se)

What does this have to do with pack-rats?

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ ♂
17,863 Posts
I'm going to say that this one is an unsupported assumption.

My ISTJ loves to throw stuff out. If anything, I'm the packrat in our relationship. I can see possibilities for items that my wife sees as junk.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
I think pack ratting is more of a F thing? my mom is an ISTJ and she loves things clean and clear. (not the brand)
Yea I might agree with this. I would think sentimentalizing to be more a feeling function type thing and as such probably any type would be susceptible to it. Also remember emotions are stronger than rationale.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I'm an ISFJ. My Mom is an ISTJ. And while I'm not exactly a pack rat, I have a harder time letting things(like gifts given to me years ago go.) My mom can let things go with no problem. I agree that it's an F thing.:kitteh:

·
Registered
850 Posts
That makes a lot of sense in theory, however, I think Si users are also neat and efficient and wouldn't want to hang on to a lot of clutter.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Neatness and efficiency would be more a factor of Te not Si. Perception functions don't organize in that way, the least of which introverted perception functions.
Why are SFJs generally neat and efficient as well as STJs?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Perhaps efficiency isn't the right word for Si, but I feel that neatness is, if anything because they are accustomed to things being a certain way (usually neatness) and prefer for them to stay that way. In my experience, SFJs tend to BE neat and (somewhat) efficient, but I suppose there are other factors involved. The ISFJs I know can be pretty anal.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Both the ISFJs I know are more concerned about keeping stuff clean and often look at throwing/hiding stuff than keeping it to the point that I find it annoying. If they can replace it then they will, if there is something wrong about it like say a part of it is coming off regardless of whether it can be fixed or if it actually effects it anyway they will go to replace it. They do like older stuff but as long as its aesthetically pleasing and they hate clutter. I see it as more of an NP thing, though sometimes I like to collect stuff I feel I have to get use out of everything I own so if I don't then I try to get rid of it.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you to everyone who answered - it's really nice to get more information to supplement my limited experience. I guess this theory doesn't really work. ah well :)

That makes a lot of sense in theory, however, I think Si users are also neat and efficient and wouldn't want to hang on to a lot of clutter.
thanks, and you're right it does seem like Si people like neatness

Neatness and efficiency would be more a factor of Te not Si. Perception functions don't organize in that way, the least of which introverted perception functions.
hmmm, that makes sense too

though here's just a thought - saving stuff vs. clutter. It seems like for some people part of the whole saving-stuff thing is the organization of said stuff - keeping it all chronological or whatever. There certainly are those that have things laying around and just don't ever bother to throw them out (or put them away), and then there are those who stuff their shelves and drawers but will then waste a lot of time organizing all their collections, making perfect storage space for everything, alphabatizing, sorting, dusting, cataloging, etc.

My own example is my ISTJ mom who kept tons of files of every lesson plan she'd ever used over her 40 years of being a teacher (complete with buliton board stuff, photographs of what she did each time she used it, worksheets and whatever other accessories to use with it) organized in boxes by topic and grade-level.

A lot of this applies to Ne also, so may be it's more accurate to say Pe not just Se (Pe is perceiving extraverted functions which includes both Ne and Se) What does this have to do with pack-rats?
It relates in that I was trying to think of reasons why some people seem to have a natural inclination to hang on to everything, and some people seem to have a natural inclination to get rid of things. It seems to me that people fall in one or the other category (though of course to varying degrees) because I just seem to sense an underlying 'move it along' or 'save it' attitude toward stuff - regardless of how neat or messy they are, or how much stuff they actually have. So I wondered if that was related to the cognitive functions, and if so this might show up in a tendancy for those who Do go overboard with keeping stuff to share a certain function. *shrugs* looks like my theory isn't holding up though. I suppose this may be yet another case of different motivations and thought processes can lead to the same behaviour.

Interesting point about Pe though, which I'd been considering as I thought about this, except that although I supposedly have auxiliary Ne I don't relate to any of that - but then again I think I've heard other INFPs say things that sound like they would relate, so... oh well.

What I personally experience when evaluating whether to keep things goes like this:
but but....it could be useful in so many ways
but but....this was special to me, even if I don't use it anymore, it's feelings will get hurt if I throw it out
but but....what if I need something like this in the future it - I can't be garunteed to be able to get one agian
but but....if I might need this at some point then it's wastefull for me to get rid of it and buy another, that makes no sense
okay I'm keeping it - or okay fine I will throw it away and I might regret it later so I'm sealing the bag and taking it straight out to the trash so I can't pull it back out.

I think pack ratting is more of a F thing? my mom is an ISTJ and she loves things clean and clear.
That was something I was speculating as well, except my ISTJ mom does tend to keep everything on the off-chance she will need it again - she just keeps it all neatly organized and packed away so she can find it when that day comes. She keeps using things till they fall apart, and then still keeps it thinking she will get it fixed. She won't buy a new one because she already has one (even if it's not working). And if she does get a new one, she still might hang on to the old one thinking she'll eventually get it fixed and then it will be usefull again.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I have a colleague at work who I suspect to be at least a Si-aux. However, we have such a strong distinction between one another since I tend to be more of a 'let go' kind of person than he is. Even the tiniest gift is held dearly and kept somewhere in his belongings. He told us at work that he had tests from early school grades still intact at home.

On the other hand, my take to things like this is acknowledging that this gift means an important moment of my life, but that eventually, it will be the past, and will find no place in my life. And I generally tend not to feel bothered by getting rid of these things.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
It relates in that I was trying to think of reasons why some people seem to have a natural inclination to hang on to everything, and some people seem to have a natural inclination to get rid of things. It seems to me that people fall in one or the other category (though of course to varying degrees) because I just seem to sense an underlying 'move it along' or 'save it' attitude toward stuff - regardless of how neat or messy they are, or how much stuff they actually have. So I wondered if that was related to the cognitive functions, and if so this might show up in a tendancy for those who Do go overboard with keeping stuff to share a certain function. *shrugs* looks like my theory isn't holding up though. I suppose this may be yet another case of different motivations and thought processes can lead to the same behaviour.
I think this partially has to do with introversion as introverts take longer time to process new information, like growing becoming acclimated to new objects, than extraverts.

But there will also be an influence coming from one's enneagram and instinct stackings. Those who prioritize self-preservation instinct have been known to stock up on food and other provisions, and save money for the rainy day. From Boss's SX, SO, SP sticky thread:

In neurotic SP types, there is fear of not having enough resources, food, shelter. This fear can distort the natural use of the instinct and turn into eating disorders, compulsive buying, or hoarding. There is a tendency to shore up resources and possibly a strong sense of being frugal or sometimes even downright cheap. This is because resources must be properly maintained to ensure survival for themselves and those within their sphere.
There are a couple of enneagram types which score low on Openness on Big 5 test. These types are 1, 6, 9. Low Openness scores make people prefer familiar to the unfamiliar and unknown, so they would be more likely to 'keep it' rather than 'move it along'.

So I don't think that MBTI alone makes people into pack-rats just because I know a few ISxJs who aren't in a habit of accumulating stuff. Then there are two women I know, both of them are ISFJs 6s, one sp/sx and another sp/so, and both are prone to this kind of pack-ratty behavior, but I think that their enneagram type and instincts have more to do with it.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I've got a little theory, not sure if it plays out in real life, but from the people I know it seems to. I don't know if I really understand the functions correctly, but this is my impression of how they seem to work.

I wonder if Si tends to encourage one to not throw things away?
Si - seems to like familiarity in the environment - using familiar things is more efficient/feels better than new things - especially when you have to figure it out and change habits.
Si - seems to like security/certainty based on what you already have or know
Si - seems to be more linked to memories thus more likely to find nostalgia or sentiment in objects
Si - seems more interested in re-experiencing familiar things
Si - seems to like operating on presets - thus planning ahead and storing up to make that possible

(I would further speculate that Ne is great at generating all the possible uses for something and all the posible scenerios in which one might need it which feeds the Si inclination to hold onto it in preparation for those possibilities).

No. Our aversion to clutter tends to push us to throw out stuff. I tend to be ruthless in throwing stuff out. I've often told SWMBO that I should have worked as a garbage collector, because I really enjoy cleaning up and throwing things out.

I think that people become pack rats for different reasons, but most of them are tied to emotional trauma in some manner.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Some light has been shed on it perhaps being an F thing.
I'm an ISTJ and I tend to throw away unnecessaries. Some thing I'll keep, but generally I'm able to let go of most things and hold onto my more important things.

·
Banned
2,475 Posts
I kept a t-shirt that my mom bought for me at age 5 until I was 14-15... It was just a cheap brown camo shirt with big white U.S.A. letters on it.

I couldn't throw it away because in a way it made me feel like she just gave it to me, as if she was close by somewhere in the house. After she died I loved that t-shirt because of that reason. It felt like she perhaps was walking right next to me if I wore it.

Same with a stuffed animal I had since my birth. It didn't serve me anything anymore but I couldn't really throw it away because it was something I had since I was born and it was the same age as me. It had gone through the same thigns I did, I told it many things, had many convo's with it, it had my back from the monsters at night. Throwing it away felt like betrayal of a dear friend. But finally I gave it to my 6 months old niece :D

I too think it's an F thing. And I tell you, it's annoying. I hate being attached to material things yet I can't help it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts