Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Kinda? Se is sensing turned external - towards your environment. Si is sensing turned internal - processed through yourself.

I see the external functions as 'pure' and the internal functions as 'processed'

So I don't think it's as simple as Si being a memory of Se. Si is *your* memory of Se.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Experiences that are perceived though Se gets stored in memory under influence of Ni. There was discussion on INTP forums about Ne vs Ni at which point I realized that Ni is somehow connected to memories that Ni users store. I then proceeded to ask the INTPs on that forum what is their perception of the past and several of them did reply that there is emphasis on sensory detail, like position of furniture in a room at a friend's house, or texture of paper they were writing on, sounds and smells that suddenly bring back memories (nostalgia induced by perception of the senses). Apparently people who rely on Ni and Si form and store memories differently i.e. different aspects get amplified when information about present moment gets stored depending on whether you use Si or Ni. Si doms are for example very good at trivia games where you have to recall specifics names, dates, places, etc. I have read that their perception of past is static. Ni doms perceive past as dynamic, full of process and themes. Concrete details in Ni memory become unimportant, interchangeable, and obscure. I've read that this gives a fluidic perception of past lacking in concrete markers, though unfortunately I cannot get into the head of a Si use to compare the actual differences. So from this it follows that Ni is memory that Se uses in precent moment to anticipate what is going to happen.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
"Memory" is really [yet another] shorthand we use to describe Si. Everyone has memory, of course. But an Si preference is simply a perspective by which it is relied on more to inform decisions.
It's just easier to express it in terms of memory. So as I put it on my site:
"You've already taken the information in through the senses, now, it's inside. When you bring it up again from inside, you are engaging 'introverted Sensing'". However, that is only one example of Si; as attention to internal body sensations is also considered Si.

As someone put it to me:
Si, as a Perceiving function, links immediate impressions of circumstances to facts already known, or holds them in abeyance until they can be fit into a mental canister that will give them meaning.

This can LOOK like an investment in the past; but what SJs are doing is assigning new facts to the canisters they've already set up to meet envisioned goals. They don't dwell in the past or resist the future. It just takes them a while to figure out how to fit new stuff into their mental framework without screwing up what's important to them, and until they do, they're going to say No.

This cut and paste process can result in very complicated strategies of action when a routine IS involved, and these types are never sure that others will be able to do the job as well as they do, because they're taking so many facts into account.

So then for Ni, the mental canister wil be about patterns already known.

·
Registered
561 Posts
(The following example is very common for me.)

So, when I walked into the ERC (racquet club) for the first time in about 11 years today, smiled, and thought to myself "it smells the same," and had a whoosh of vivid memories, was that Se-Ni or Si-Ne? (I also looked around the lobby and pointed out to myself where differences were - like where the tennis racquets used to be (and where mine was when I bought it) and how much bigger the room looked rearranged. Which function(s) is/are that/those?)

·
Registered
515 Posts
vel your post was awesome and helped me clear some stuff up as I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the heck Ni does :p

So Ni is basically the same as if Ne was internal. When Ne can come up with possibilities for 'in the moment' events, Ni sees consistencies from everything they have perceived before (probably from Fe and Se in an INFJ) and those could possibly be shifted whereas Si is more static and based on facts once it reaches a conclusion.

·
Registered
515 Posts
As for what I've gathered about Si, it's more like snippets of Se that is chosen to be stored. When someone with Se describes something it is like they are reliving the moment when they talk (mostly through Fi and Ni in an xSFP). Si seems to recall the details and could say what was there and what wasn't.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts