Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to clear-up some confusion about the difference between si and ni when it comes to perceiving/interpreting physical objects. It's just that both these functions are said to be concerned with symbology in some sense.

I'm going to give a list of examples, and I'd be interested to know what perceiving functions are or might be involved (I already know the answer for some of them, I have other reasons for including those):

1. A physical object (or objects) catches your attention, and reminds you of a previous situation where you encountered the object(s)

2. A physical object (or objects) catches your attention, and reminds you of a fantasy you previously had where you encountered the object(s)

3. A physical object (or objects) catches your attention, and makes you think of a different possible context for the object(s), that you have never physically been in or fantasized about before.

4. The colour(s) of an object catches your attention, and makes you think of somewhere you once went to that is not actually coloured like the object, but whose vibe or 'theme' you associate with the colour(s)

5. The colour(s) of an object catches your attention, and makes you think of somewhere you once fantasized about that is not actually coloured like the object, but whose vibe or 'theme' you associate with the colour(s)

6. The colour(s) of an object catches your attention, and makes you think of somewhere you have never been to or fantasized about before, that is not actually coloured like the object, but whose vibe or 'theme' you associate with the colour(s)

7. A physical object (or objects) catches your attention, leading directly to a sense of a deeper symbolic theme/meaning (like in some paintings)

8. A physical object (or objects) catches your attention, leading to a sense of a deeper symbolic theme/meaning, but only after you have thought of other contexts you have been in where you previously encountered the object(s)

9. A physical object (or objects) catches your attention, leading to a sense of a deeper symbolic theme/meaning, but only after you have imagined other possible contexts for the object(s).

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm trying to clear-up some confusion about the difference between si and ni when it comes to perceiving/interpreting physical objects. It's just that both these functions are said to be concerned with symbology in some sense.

I'm going to give a list of examples, and I'd be interested to know what perceiving functions are or might be involved (I already know the answer for some of them, I have other reasons for including those):

1. A physical object (or objects) catches your attention, and reminds you of a previous situation where you encountered the object(s)

2. A physical object (or objects) catches your attention, and reminds you of a fantasy you previously had where you encountered the object(s)

3. A physical object (or objects) catches your attention, and makes you think of a different possible context for the object(s), that you have never physically been in or fantasized about before.

4. The colour(s) of an object catches your attention, and makes you think of somewhere you once went to that is not actually coloured like the object, but whose vibe or 'theme' you associate with the colour(s)

5. The colour(s) of an object catches your attention, and makes you think of somewhere you once fantasized about that is not actually coloured like the object, but whose vibe or 'theme' you associate with the colour(s)

6. The colour(s) of an object catches your attention, and makes you think of somewhere you have never been to or fantasized about before, that is not actually coloured like the object, but whose vibe or 'theme' you associate with the colour(s)

7. A physical object (or objects) catches your attention, leading directly to a sense of a deeper symbolic theme/meaning (like in some paintings)

8. A physical object (or objects) catches your attention, leading to a sense of a deeper symbolic theme/meaning, but only after you have thought of other contexts you have been in where you previously encountered the object(s)

9. A physical object (or objects) catches your attention, leading to a sense of a deeper symbolic theme/meaning, but only after you have imagined other possible contexts for the object(s).

I have also been trying to understand differences in between Si and Ni, while trying to gain a deeper understanding of both. Here is my shot at it:

1. Definitely seems like Si.
2. Not completely sure on this one.
3. Very much Si.
4. Seems quite much like Si.
5. Not sure about this one either.
6. Not sure about this one either.
7. Seems like Si.
8. Also possibly Si.
9. Could go either way.

Now this was done quite quickly and in under a limited communication channel, so its probably not going to be perfect.

This may also help you:

Introverted Intuition - INTJ and INFJ

Foreseeing implications, transformations, and likely effects

As every introverted intuition is an ill defined process. It is an introverted subconcious perceiving process thus leaving most bewildered at its function. It imaginatively creates benchmarks and using iconology determines the similarities in ideas proposing the implications of these ideas and how they can affect the world. It is also sneakily subjective as it lends to a person a censored thought pattern to others around them as the benchmarks and iconology may bear little relation to reality but subtle guide the definition of the introverted intuitive. Over time it is passively enriched by other functions as experience is gained.

For the INFJ the introverted intuition is supported by extroverted feeling as a way to deal with the need to protect the imaginative and uniquely defined benchmarks of the Ni mindset is reconciled with attempting to gain a mutual understanding of shared external space.

In contrast the INTJ supports introverted intution by protecting their mindset by logically critiqueing their external environment using thinking to select elements of the environment which suit their inner vision.
Si: We understand the form and function of things. We understand how objects relate to each other and how multiple objects relate to a whole. We see systems and repetitions. We remember key distinctions as well as close similarities. We draw on experience, the more we have, the quicker we can react. We innately know percentages and probabilities of occurrences. We see the basic principles behind things. We have the ability to do repetitive work consistently.

Drawbacks- In new situations, we have trouble executing necessary functions due to a lack of experience. If we are away from something for a while, we get rusty quickly, and we take time to get back up to par. Others, who do not see the relations of objects and their form and function, find our views and/or advice irrational, especially when we are unable to articulate how we know this. With continual negative stimulus, we can become fatalistic as we see the possibilities of negative stimulus inevitable.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Ni can produce all of the above. Usually it brings up a connection of this object to another object or meaning or context. For me at least this is rarely a fantasy, but more often something I read out of a book or an idea I had before, something real that I have observed occurring in the past. On some occasions it may be a dream or something out of my imagination. I think this is more of a Ne domain, though Ni dom and aux users have some use of their Ne and it is said that it produces a sort of by-products in them, though these by-products are carefully picked to be in line with main goals of dominant and auxiliary functions of the person. Making such type of connections happens very often to me. Creating symbolic meaning not as often but if you think about an object long enough you will create a lot of connections to what you learned previously, this thus creates a context, a meaning for the object, then from this you can derive symbolism.

Physical parameters of the object like color, taste, smell I enjoy in the moment so to say. If I am treating the object via my extraverted sensing I am not recalling themes of the past or alike objects of the past. I am enjoying it right here and now and may be thinking of what I can do with it further. I have also noticed that Si users may listen to music that makes them nostalgic of past as well as their sense of smell may be connected to their memory more strongly than it is in me. They smell or hear something and that brings up memories for them, for me it tends to be "lets enjoy it right now" kind of thing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts