Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here's my problem, I'm regularly typed as an Ni dom when I take the free online tests. However, I've noticed a trend of traits that could possibly be Si. I've read everything I can, and I'm still confused. I've taken cognitive function tests, but I'm good at skewing the results on those. So, I thought I'd just write down a whole bunch of traits that make me think I'm an Si dom and see if you guys agree or disagree. (I put them under a spoiler tag to save space)

Here they are:

1. I have 'reliable' food options at each restaurant I go to. I rarely deviate from them. When I go to a restaurant I haven't been to before, I look for things on the menu that I've had at other places. I guess the reasoning behind this is that there's money being spent on this food, and it's going to be used for fuel, so if I don't like it then I will have wasted my money and I'll still be hungry. The risk outweighs the reward of trying something new, so I don't.

2. When watching a movie, if I see an actor that I've seen before, their name instantly comes to mind. If I want, I can also name some of the other movies they've been in and also what characters they played in those movies. It's the same for voice actors, I can tell who they are even if they're modulating their voice (a lot of them have certain 'tells' that give away who they are). And these aren't well known actors either, just random ones that I've gotten to know by appreciating them or something they've been in. I do a lot research on things that interest me.

3. A professional Baseball team I like went to the World Series when I was in the sixth grade. It was one of the best experiences I ever had. Even ten years later, I can recall the entire starting lineup, some of the bench and pitching staff, as well as their jersey numbers.

4. When occasions come around, I look forward to them because I have pleasant memories of past iterations. I was really excited for the Rio olympics last year because I thoroughly enjoyed the 2012 London games as well as the 2008 Beijing ones. I was actually not that impressed by Rio once it got going, but the anticipation was high. This applies to other things too, like certain times of the year or holidays. For example, I always look forward to summer, because summer break when I was in school was always a lot of fun.

5. I remember a lot of past events in detail. It's like a movie in my head, and I can recall events and then watch them happening again and again. Some details are a little fuzzy, others are strikingly obvious. Those closest to me have always been amazed by my memory, even my mom whose an Si dominant herself.

As I understand it, Ni doms use Si last as it's the inferior function in their shadow. So, how could I so effortlessly do all of these Si things and still be an Ni dom? Si couldn't have developed that well, unless it's just good memory and not Si at all. And I suppose that's possible. Here are some Ni traits that I have. (Once again, hidden under spoiler tag)

1. I have a good imagination. I've written two sci-fi books, actually. And while they are HEAVILY grounded in reality (I routinely wrote in doorknobs, even though I wanted the doors to be sliding) everything is still all made up.

2. I plan out my future. Weather it's roughly planning the day or identifying what I have to do to get where I want to go in life. Although, I do have to say that I certainly focus a lot more on events that are closer than the far away ones. Once stuff gets within a week, I begin to realize how real it is.

3. I am sometimes quite idealistic. I always try and act how I'd like the world be, and wonder why others can't do the same. I'm far from perfect, but I feel like some people don't even try. But this doesn't mean that I'm not aware of the way the world is. For example, the idealistic side of me wishes that animals didn't have to be killed in order for me to get my meat. But the realistic side of me realizes that even if they're freed from human domestication, nature will inevitably just eat them anyway. Prey is prey, predators are predators. That's not to say we couldn't treat them better, but still, they're going to be eaten either way because that's the way the world works. There are no vegetarian wolves.

4. I try and look at different perspectives and occasionally play devils advocate. Though, I can't remember doing this that much before finding MBTI. It might possibly be a learned behavior from originally believing myself to be an intuitive. Or maybe I just didn't do it as a kid because I was young and now I've developed. That's determined by what intuitive kids are like, I suppose.

In summation, I'm either an intuitive with great memory, or a sensor with a good imagination. What do you guys think? I'm tired of going back and forth and I need a fresh perspective. Any answer is much appreciated! Thanks for reading as well!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm... that is interesting. From what I read, I guess I lean a bit toward Ni. Especially that bit talking about what triggers memory recollection. Certainly, I could recall a person or place using only specific details but I don't think a date would be enough in most situations. I do know that a lot of memories have themes attached to them. That's why I say I lean a bit toward Ni. Thanks for clearing that bit up!

·
Registered
5w6 sp/sx | 9w1 sp/sx | 3w4 sp/sx | INTJ | ILI
227 Posts
Si types tend to be all about taking care of the little details that other people overlook. They can seem unimaginative or boring to others and may seem kinda sheltering, but they can be very grounded and dependable people.

Ni types tend to be all about noticing the trajectory of things, and guiding things toward / away from it. They can seem frustratingly cryptic or fatalistic and lack physical awareness, but they have a natural farsightedness.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ni types tend to be all about noticing the trajectory of things, and guiding things toward / away from it. They can seem frustratingly cryptic or fatalistic and lack physical awareness, but they have a natural farsightedness.
Okay, heres another example from my life that may or may not relate to this. Growing up, I was always very much against getting a new family pet. We had the ones we had, and adding a new one just seemed foolish. Everything was working in perfect harmony, no sense in adding in an unknown variable that might mess it up. I'm thinking this could be Ni, trying to change the trajectory. I could see a potential negative, and I decided to push against it. But it might also be Si. We had a dog before that was a huge hassle. Si might also not want anything to change, either. I'm trying to decide which it was more, but I'm not sure. The thing is, I've always been one to notice tiny details. One time I was sitting on some metal bleachers and I looked down and noticed a little hex nut was laying on the ground. I then inferred that it probably fell off the bleachers I was sitting on and therefore they were probably a little less stable than they should be. This feels very detail oriented, anyway. Or maybe I was just bored....

·
Registered
290 Posts
As I understand it, Ni doms use Si last as it's the inferior function in their shadow.
That is actually a false understanding of the theory (and a very common mistake in these internet forums). Theoretically speaking, if your N/S preference is somewhere in the middle, your preference towards Ni/Si will be a toss-up. Also note that the 5th-8th function order does not indicate the strength or preference, and that the Tertiary and the Inferior functions are really supposed to be the "weak" functions, at least in theory.

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,415 Posts
ISxJs are probably the two most commom types whereas INxJs are the two rarests. So when taking an on-line test (which are highly flaky and unreliable) All it takes for an ISxJ is to answer ''yes'' at a few questions pointing to creativity and deep thinking and they will score as INxJ. Not to mention, most Sensing questions are much more in line with Se. ''You like to party every night, y'all!'' Si-Doms won't relate to that so they'll probably answer no on a few of them.

Not saying it's the case for you, just saying it's worth pondering.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is actually a false understanding of the theory (and a very common mistake in these internet forums). Theoretically speaking, if your N/S preference is somewhere in the middle, your preference towards Ni/Si will be a toss-up. Also note that the 5th-8th function order does not indicate the strength or preference, and that the Tertiary and the Inferior functions are really supposed to be the "weak" functions, at least in theory.
Okay, thanks for clearing that up. A lot of my confusion is probably from misinformation I've read. It might very well be a toss up for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ISxJs are probably the two most commom types whereas INxJs are the two rarests. So when taking an on-line test (which are highly flaky and unreliable) All it takes for an ISxJ is to answer ''yes'' at a few questions pointing to creativity and deep thinking and they will score as INxJ. Not to mention, most Sensing questions are much more in line with Se. ''You like to party every night, y'all!'' Si-Doms won't relate to that so they'll probably answer no on a few of them.

Not saying it's the case for you, just saying it's worth pondering.
Good points. I do get to wondering if I'm actually an ISTJ. It's not that I'm not creative, or deep thinking, but I know that I do a lot of things I don't care about because I'd feel guilty otherwise. Especially if it's family. And I'm not overly emotional. I get really awkward around criers. Even if it's just pretend, fake crying. This all seems very ISTJ to me. But I wanted to avoid stereotypes and get a real answer from the functions.

·
The spirit of the spirits
11,026 Posts
@Siesmic Good timing man! I think I finally understood what Si actually is. So I will explain it. Imagine what Se is. It's all about observing senses from environment. Usually in outgoing manner too. Senses + extraversion. What is Si? Well it's actually pretty similar to Se. It's all about senses, not memories, past times or shit like that. Not at all. It's really like Se is, but is works in introverted manner. It by itself doesn't seek extraversion and doesn't get energetic by that. You can imagine it as individual sensor activities. Its only observing function and does that naturally in introverted style. Doesn't naturally seek extraversion. So it may lead to sweet past memories, deeper digging into sensoric details. Those would be products of the cause. That's only raw description of raw Si. It's rather simple function to comprehend. One must always remember, that Si always goes with Ne. Combo cooperates and fulfills each other's gaps, when it works correctly (not looping and is healthy). How naturally and resistlessly you use Si, depends on its place in your cognitive stack. If you suspect yourself being a Si dom, then most of your observation process relies on Si and gets enriched with minimal Ne. I personally think, that there's one tricky thing. Si may transform into Se, if it needs that for some time, but there a thing. It will only do that, until it's drained. When Si is drained it needs to retreat into introversion mode to regain traction. Si may lead to developing some exceptional introverted sensoric skill, but it's not really Si specific. Understanding causes and consequences in MBTI is very important and shouldn't be messed up. I guess, that now you should get how causes and consequences differ in MBTI and now you should rethink it with Si. Si really has many stereotypes and you may get fooled by those, especially when they pack some truth. Many of them are focused on consequences of Si, maybe not Si alone, but something more. What is bad is that it may fit other types as good as it fits to Si user and person may start to wonder if he/she is some other type, instead of his own. I know it's hard to learn to filter that stuff and even harder to understand it piece by piece, but I can only wish you good luck with understanding everything. I also may have been wrong with my insight, but I am trying to help you. If you really think, that you can get out something outta me, you should ask. I will try to help.

PS: My type is probably wrong, therefore I'm probably not INFJ.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts