Personality Cafe banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Si is a sense of familiarity.

Since memory experiments (here, and here) show that memories can be relived without the unpleasant physiological sensations associated with it, I posit that Si is a material component of memory because it can be erased -or at the very least turned off. It is not memory per se, in and of itself. Rather it is the unconscious physiological sensation associated with memory. I also posit that people with PTSD are highly likely to have Si in their function stack. So perhaps more neuroscience experiments can be made regarding its understanding of the Si component of 'memory', such as the learned ability to ride a bike. Is it possible to unlearn it through the same erasure methods described in the aforementioned experiments?

I've seen Si been associated with the words 'routine', 'tradition', and 'memory'. The most common denominator among all of them is familiarity.

If there is some kind of change in whatever Si has developed a sense of familiarity with, be it in thought, words, or action, it rejects or resists the change. It then seeks to re-establish and reinforce what it had previously developed a sense of familiarity with.

Anecdotes I recall are when an Si person is a passenger in a car, they tend to be backseat drivers. They tend to want to control the driver and make the driver drive according to the Si person's own method of driving. In a way it's as if they're saying "This is how you should drive, because this is the type of driving I have grown familiar with." It's not just with the act of driving, it could also be in terms of what they have learned in school as something they have grown familiar with. If an idea was taught to them in school, then all of a sudden in the current academic climate whatever that idea was has now been proven to be false, it triggers their cognitive dissonance and they attempt to reject the new information while reinforcing the old information; the information they developed a sense of familiarity with.

I had a coworker who grew up learning in school that anyone who is born with a penis is a boy, and anyone who was born with a vagina is a girl. Then until a couple of years ago, and with hundreds of scientific study to support it, we now learn that not everyone who is born with a penis is a boy, and not everyone who is born with a vagina is a girl; and that some girls are born with penises and some boys are born with vaginas. I had no problem accepting the new information as factually accurate. I even found it interesting and invigorating that old information was disproven with new information, but he had a lot of trouble reconciling the new information with the information he had developed a sense of familiarity with when he was growing up.

An Si person will unlikely attempt to cognitively figure out how something works abstractly or conceptually on their own. They need and use the aid of socially or scientifically established guidelines until they develop a sense of familiarity with it. Once they have developed a sense of familiarity to an idea, or action, they then become autonomous and fiercely stick to it and reinforce it at all costs. Si people are constantly assaulted and oppressed by change, because change is a disruption of the Si user's sense of familiarity.

The false attribution of Si to "tradition":

In the context in which it is being used to describe Si, it is the paradigms based on the geographic location and time-period of the user. It is flawed because paradigms based on such are different for each individual Si user. For example: one Si user's sense of "tradition" could be based on having grown up with hippie parents, thus adapting and becoming familiar with a hippie lifestyle, beliefs, and principles. Whereas another Si user's sense of "tradition" could be having grown up with religious parents, thus adapting and becoming familiar with a religious lifestyle, beliefs, and principles. One Si user can be an Atheist while another can be devoutly religious. Another flaw in the use of the word "tradition" is the observer's subjective understanding of what it means; what is "traditional" to one might not be "traditional" to another, even if both aforementioned individuals -having become familiar with different paradigms- are using Si.

If Si has developed a sense of familiarity with the following belief systems:

1. Since the path in life of humans is for opposite sexes to attract, mate, and live happily ever after, then Si will resist, and reject anything that is contrary to this idea: homophobia.

2. That growing up in an environment where he or she is a member of an ethnic majority in a specific geographical area, then they will resist, reject, or discriminate against anyone who is not of the same ethnicity: racism

3. That growing up believing women's jobs are to stay at home, cook, clean, get pregnant and raise the children, then it will reject and resist any belief system that says women can be the ones who are the bread-winners: sexism.

I'm not saying that Si is the sole cause of homophobia, racism, and sexism. I'm saying that it can cause homophobia, racism, and sexism. I'm also not saying that Si is 'bad'. In fact, once homosexuality, women's equality, and ethnic equality have been socially, culturally, and scientifically accepted as a human norm, Si will then begin to develop its requisite sense of familiarity to this new paradigm. In the future, Si itself will serve as this new paradigm's protector and enforcer.

I wrote this in some other forum. What are your thoughts?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts