Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do any of you happen to have any brothers or sisters who came out of your mother, or perhaps step-mother if that is your kinda thing, like I do?

Just a little curious. Would they have happened to have any affect on how you are today?

·
Registered
80 Posts
This is oddly phrased. I had to read it twice (missed a comma, which gave it a very different connotation) to get it.
Still though, all you're asking is if anyone has any siblings and how we feel they have affected us? Just say that.

What's with the extensive wording?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Bliss!

But we should employ ghostwriters or, better yet, use other people's loveletters in the first place. This way, we can enjoy the kick, but direct the scorn for the mistreatment of grammar and spelling safely elsewhere.

·
Registered
114 Posts
PERTAINING TO THE TOPIC:

I was barely affected by my little brother. If anything, my oppressive attitude towards him when we were younger shaped him into an INTP. He wanted to be like me, but lacked the self confidence to do so because of me.

Kinda regret all my dickishness back then, to be honest. Poor bastard.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am the first born.
To say I've not affected by my younger brother's presence is silly.
Siblings (& any familial relation) are one of the huge factors shaping who you are.
We affect the upbringing of each other.
(Perhaps I affected him more since I am the abnormal one)

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I am the third of four siblings, all born within six years of each other. I was raised as part of a pack - my parents would only interfere with our battles if someone got really hurt physically. I think our interactions were the biggest single factor in shaping who I am. When I was fifteen my older sister died suddenly in an accident, and it was the strangest thing - I was now the oldest girl and my role in the family changed hugely. I think I would be quite different if she had lived.

·
Administrator
ESFJ
22,381 Posts
I have an older brother who was told to look after me when my parents split. He was good role model and an INTJ too. We are close still and he still "looks after" me. I could never ask for a better person to look after me.

As to step families there weren't any others born as siblings but there were many many children I shared space with during a 5 year period with my father. It affected me is a way that I was no longer the "baby" of the family anymore but more of a middle child. Out of the two families there was one girl who was my age and we were as thick as theives. I had a lot of fun with her. We were friends.

The other family there was another girl who was again my age and I loathe her to this very day. Sneak attacks to undermine me, goad me, fuck me up one way or another. She coveted everything that was mine and searched for ways to make it her own.

Out of these two very different experiences I guess it made me grow as a person and see how different dynamics work in a family structure. I always had my "rock" though. My big brother.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Would they have happened to have any affect on how you are today?
It's spelled effect.
Rawrrrr... :blushed:

:laughing:
Sorry to throw a wet blanket on you two, but the word in the OP is spelled and used correctly.

affect = influence
effect = result

"Would they have happened to have any influence on how you are today?" Correct.
"Would they have happened to have any result on how you are today?" Incorrect.

source: Affect vs. Effect Grammar Rules

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
On topic....

I have two older stepbrothers and one younger genetic brother. The oldest is an SJ. The middle is an INTX. The youngest is another SJ. All three had drug addiction issues as teens and young adults. I'm sure they had some kind of influence on me, aside from being held up as examples of what not to do.

The two SJs have stayed close to home and are very dependent on my mother and stepfather. The INTX moved very far away to avoid frequent contact with the family. He even got married in a foreign country so he didn't have to invite any of us. I'm jealous of him.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Sorry to throw a wet blanket on you two, but the word in the OP is spelled and used correctly.

affect = influence
effect = result

"Would they have happened to have any influence on how you are today?" Correct.
"Would they have happened to have any result on how you are today?" Incorrect.

source: Affect vs. Effect Grammar Rules
Apart from the fact that affect is a verb and effect is a noun..

No rawwrrr for you.

·
Registered
99 Posts
As a first born child, I can't really say that my sibling changed me a lot. All I can only assume is that my mother wanted the 'perfect family' by having a boy and a girl. I lived an isolated life and never really was interested in socializing with people. Hell, I'm not even interested in having a GF. :tongue:

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have one older brother, and then a plethora of step-siblings. Both of my parents are remarried.

My brother is very much like me, but he's almost nine years older. Our relationship is probably more like uncle-niece, I think. One of the biggest indirect things, though, is that I got to see the differences in how we were treated. My brother is my mom's favorite, you see. He had issues in school (he turned out to be mildly dyslexic, which no one really acknowledged for years), while I breezed through. Thus, he got rewarded when he got good grades, while I was just expected to. In high school, he saved up some money for a car, and my parents paid the rest of the amount, which was more than three quarters of the cost. I was allowed to borrow my mom's car.

Of course, my brother points out that I got a free college education instead, which I admit is a fair trade from my perspective.

My stepdad's kids are all considerably older than me and thus adults when I first met them, so I really don't know any of them well.

My stepmom's kids are all younger - one, three and five years younger than me, I think. I was twelve? Thirteen? when my dad remarried. I find the one that is my age a waste of cellular material. He had to take summer classes to finish high school, knocked up his just-out-of-high-school girl friend at 23, and ten years later is still doing jobs like security guard. Has that had an effect on me? I don't think so, except giving me something to complain about when I get a new status report. The other two I'm mostly meh about.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks family didn't change me in any way? I don't really agree with the fact that our past makes us who we are, meaning, I believe we were born with a certain personality. My mom told me that when I was very young I'd sit by myself in a corner and play, didn't need the attention from others, I wasn't a crybaby, and very stubborn. Considering I'm an INTJ, and I believe I was born that way and my life didn't shape me into being one, I'm pretty much the same person I've always been. Yes we've all been through different things in life, some of us learned from our mistakes, some didn't, some had more support then others, but in the end, we still are who we are, who we've always been. Even if I decide to act like an ESFP or whatever type I wish to act like, I won't be as comfortable and as confident as acting as my natural self.
And please spare me the gramatical errors, we are not in grammar school here, and it's not that big of a deal as long as we get the point. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
It's spelled effect.
actually its the usage not the spelling that is wrong, affect is reffering to the future tense whereas effect is commonly used as a past tense

past tense= how will this affect me?
Future tense= how did this effect me?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Off topic, I would say that the INTJs are showing interest by correcting errors.

On topic: Second out of 5 children. My older sister and I are only a year and 20 days apart. We are close and people mistake us for twins. She is such a freaking feeler! It took years but she enabled me to be comfortable around someone crying. Our middle sister is roughly 7 years younger than me. When she was little, when we were required to babysit, we played school. Our middle sister jumped a grade in school and graduated at 15. I am sure we changed her a lot since she is an ES F/T(?) type. The two youngest are very young compared to my older sister and I. There is 17 years difference between the youngest and the oldest in my family. Both my older sister and I were more like 2nd and 3rd mothers to them. I had no illusions about how difficult having a baby would be when I was growing up. I think it is one of the major reasons why I don't have any children.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I have an older sister and no brothers. My mom and dad were together until she died in early 2002. My sister has had a lot of impact on me though this is partially because I'd presume she should blaze the path for me in some ways that she didn't like dating, getting a driver's license, etc. Course I'd also note that the relationship with my sister is rather complicated at times.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts