Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I make the Enneagram seem valid or insightful at all? The type descriptions always seem more vague to me, even, than astrological or numerological ones, and I can't figure out why I would be more of any one type than the other, why I would be more of one motive than the other, or any of it at all. I have my Enneagram set to 4, because I like to think of myself as a creatively-charged sort of person, but I could just as easily take on any of the other numbers. What am I missing that will make things click into place?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I find it a vague system as well.
There's not really an official Enneagram as its passed down more from like person to person as opposed to anything strictly kept.

A lot of people recommend the website, Ocean Moonshine (google it).

The Enneagram though, as opposed to the MBTI, focuses more upon motivations. And in that shows what your motivation does for the better and worse. Worse being, falling into repetitions of your type.
For example, the E9 may deal with their insecurities by finding food comforts. Also known as Sloth. So each trap that an E-type falls into is called a vice, like in the Bible - except it is expanded to 9. Try this site to look at one-word definitions that compares each type:
The Enneagram

So the Enneagram type 4 isn't the only creative type, anyone can be an artist. And neither are all 4's artists, I think that's more of their focus on interacting with the world though.

For your own search, you may wish to look at simple descriptions first of like:
9types.com - Enneagram tests, type descriptions, forums
However, I don't recommend the test. A lot of people confused about the Enneagram can fall into an Enneatrap of retaking the tests over and over again till they serve no purpose (personal experience).

Anyways, after looking through that; then you may wish to look at Ocean Moonshine for in-depth descriptions.

A lot of people see holes in the Enneagram, so while i'm not going to say pull a sand out of a grain, I wouldn't suggest investing all your faith into it.
I think it's more of a system for transformation in application of real life. More like a process as opposed to the MBTI, which is like ego.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the tests usually have me at 2, 4, or 6, but with your assistance... I think I am more of a 9. Thank you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts