Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I explained to my family a little of MBTI theory, but they really don't accept it much, and they definitely won't accept me as an introvert. No matter what I do or say, they see me as an extrovert. Maybe it is because I am a more socially direct person than they are? (All introverts themselves, with some phobic 6 in their enneagram tritypes.) It's really annoying that I can't even seem to get the people closest to me to see me as I actually am, instead of how they want to imagine me.

INFPs, do you have any similar problems with people in your life? People who refuse to see your basic personality the way it actually is?

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I'm sure some of my friends would think i'm an ENFP. i'm comfortable with them and i do talk alot around them. but if you look at my personal views and how i act around other it's clear i'm an Introvert. i'm just the most oscial amongsta friend group of other introverts thats all

Reactions: rowingineden

·
Registered
615 Posts
Well, that's why I doubted I was INFP, although the description sounds pretty accurate.
My family thought of me as ENFP, ENFJ (I have no clue why) and INFJ, and basically everything else! ^^
I tend to change my "personality" to fit the situation, occassionally. That could be why.
Or it could be that I am actually ENFP, one with self-reflective/introvert tendencies.
People are always going to do that, nothing I can do about it except act more like myself.
And those with enneagram 6 will probably...Well, good luck! XD

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
I explained to my family a little of MBTI theory, but they really don't accept it much, and they definitely won't accept me as an introvert. No matter what I do or say, they see me as an extrovert. Maybe it is because I am a more socially direct person than they are? (All introverts themselves, with some phobic 6 in their enneagram tritypes.) It's really annoying that I can't even seem to get the people closest to me to see me as I actually am, instead of how they want to imagine me.

INFPs, do you have any similar problems with people in your life? People who refuse to see your basic personality the way it actually is?
Yes.

I feel misunderstood too many times. Whenever people do actually understand me though, it's rare and special.

People misunderstand why I'm emotionally intense.
People misunderstand why I'm dramatic.
People basically misunderstand my intentions.
People basically misunderstand me being quiet as not caring.
People basically misunderstand me getting angry as selfish when I was quite hurt.
People misunderstand that I need to socialize more when I want to be an introvert and self reflect.
People misunderstand that I'm fragile in moving on when actually I just care too much but it doesn't mean I'm not strong.
People misunderstand that I am willing to tolerate their bullshit all the time but actually I just think they're stupid.
People misunderstand that I am not serious when I said I need space. I was serious.
People don't understand enough when I said I want changes.
People misunderstand that I'm not thinking about my future but actually I'm always thinking about my identity and the world.

And the list goes on.

I think it's basically nicer, easier for people to imagine me as someone solely attention seeking with no real people oriented direction, someone naive, someone fragile and someone childish..It scares them that I might be a stronger personality, just with an overly high emotional and dramatic capacity but whatever.

·
Registered
333 Posts
My family, and everybody else I know, have never and will never accept me as being an introvert. No matter what I say or do, they think that it's wrong to be like that. So I just gave up and try to avoid the E-I conflict for as much as I can.

About being misunderstood, I have accepted the fact that if there is somebody out in the real world (i.e. not in perC) that will accept my personality, it will be only a once-in-a-lifetime scenario, and that will probably never even happen. It hurts sometimes to not have someone who understands you, but you can't have the cake and eat it.

It's part of the INFP's magic, you know; that people can't see beyond our somewhat intimidating unique identity.

·
Registered
830 Posts

I'm a very socially direct person.. but also very introverted. I can be extremely outgoing and talkative... but it's going to "cost me" energy to do that.. Perhaps if you explained to your family being introverted isn't about being shy (though many introverts maybe are), it's about the energy you lose when interacting with others.. even people that you maybe love being with. Or, to put it another way.. (E's don't be offended here please).. but Extroverts are sort of like energy vampires.. they draw energy from interaction with others.. whereas Introverts are like the vampire's victims and lose energy from that same interaction..
Do you think they would understand that concept?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm a very socially direct person.. but also very introverted. I can be extremely outgoing and talkative... but it's going to "cost me" energy to do that.. Perhaps if you explained to your family being introverted isn't about being shy (though many introverts maybe are), it's about the energy you lose when interacting with others.. even people that you maybe love being with. Or, to put it another way.. (E's don't be offended here please).. but Extroverts are sort of like energy vampires.. they draw energy from interaction with others.. whereas Introverts are like the vampire's victims and lose energy from that same interaction..
Do you think they would understand that concept?
I tried to explain this to them, but they stopped listening. They don't listen to things incongruent to their points of view.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I added a "Note" on Facebook called "10 Ways to Tell I'm an Introvert" or something like that, maybe it will help. Or maybe I'll just get more insistence that I am an extrovert.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I added a "Note" on Facebook called "10 Ways to Tell I'm an Introvert" or something like that, maybe it will help. Or maybe I'll just get more insistence that I am an extrovert.
giggles.. perhaps you should try fainting on them the next time they have drained all your energy resources while interacting with them as an added visual demonstration??!! :crazy:

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Facebook thing isn't a very introverted thing!
But seriously I completely get what you mean, sometimes around my friends I just want to be quiet and contemplate things, although people just can't accept it and they always ask why are you so quiet and then think I'm in a mood when I'm not and then I try to explain that I'm not in a mood and then they carry on and then I get in a mood!

But yeah this happens all the time, just open up to them more about your insecurities from others and then maybe they will see that you are more introverted around others than they first thought...

·
Registered
717 Posts
My mom once (maybe five years ago) told me she thought I was destined to become an INTJ. This seems funny to me, looking back, but it annoyed me at the time.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I've explained the energy thing to my husband, and he still thinks I'm just antisocial, depressed, and possibly mentally ill. The last time I printed out some information I thought might help him understand he said in an inpatient tone, "Do I have to read this?" :angry:
Excuse me for trying.
I'd say something like.. "no dear.. you don't have to read it at all... but if you'd like to keep me from smothering you in your sleep tonight.. you might want to 'skim it'. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
My parents don't question my INFPness, but they act like it's a bad thing. Of course they don't think I'm an awful person or anything, they just think I have a lot of problems. They have a point; I can be a basket case when I don't keep my emotions in check. But my grandma is an INFP, and she turned out alright, so I don't see any use in making my INFPness out to be a problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts