Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Economic Justice Petition: Double NASA's Budget to 1% of the US Budget | Change.org

NASA's budget is extremely important to this nation's forward progress. Many people are misinformed and just believe NASA only contributes to efforts toward space. NASA has contributed to the discovery of many inventions and new technologies that, as a result, create more jobs in America. NASA has filed 6,300 patents with the US government. Not only is it about technology, it's about growing an ambitious, dreaming nation once again.

Spinoff 2011 homepage <----Link to the 'Spinoff' PDF that explains how NASA affects life on earth. It explains all of their inventions that affect us today.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Economic Justice Petition: Double NASA's Budget to 1% of the US Budget | Change.org

NASA's budget is extremely important to this nation's forward progress. Many people are misinformed and just believe NASA only contributes to efforts toward space. NASA has contributed to the discovery of many inventions and new technologies that, as a result, create more jobs in America. NASA has filed 6,300 patents with the US government. Not only is it about technology, it's about growing an ambitious, dreaming nation once again.

Spinoff 2011 homepage <----Link to the 'Spinoff' PDF that explains how NASA affects life on earth. It explains all of their inventions that affect us today.
I'm going to have to see a whole lot more than that before I vote to DOUBLE NASA's budget to $37 BILLION dollars.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you just watch the video? $37 billion still isn't enough to me. I'd rather it be like $370 billion. All we have to do is cut our military budget in half.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Among The Costs Of War: Billions A Year In A.C.? : NPR

This is the part that bothers me about it...

EDIT: That video seemed to have almost no content in it at all though; it was also littered with arrogance (IMO). I think NASA is great, but they need to address more than the fact that they create dreams.

·
Registered
ENTP
821 Posts
Did you just watch the video? $37 billion still isn't enough to me. I'd rather it be like $370 billion. All we have to do is cut our military budget in half.
Actually, the military contributes a lot of technology to the world as well. They came up with this idea back in the '70's for example of hooking up all these computers in different locations so that if one area went down in a nuclear attack other areas could still communicate. It turned out to be pretty popular with folks starting in the '90's once they developed a way to navigate it.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
You have to remember all the money they make aswell, Selling guns to a country in a civil war. then the side they didn't want to win, wins, and then they can go to war with them, with the weapons they sold em

·
Registered
ENTP
821 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Feel free to invest all the money YOU want to into SpaceX (or other similar company when they are formed)! Let the market decide if Space is worth $37 Billion, $370 Billion or $3.7 Trillion.

I have gone to NASA sites numerous times and aware of all the things invented through them but I don't believe NASA is the most cost efficient generator of innovations.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Guess we need another cold war.

Space exploration of the 1960s was built upon an irrational fear, which was channeled into competition, and ending up producing collateral technological benefits.

NASA was founded by Eisenhower so the U.S. could develop a space exploration program that would outdo the Soviets and wanted to achieve technological dominance.

We didn't lose our ability to dream.

We lost a bogeyman to compete with.

People like Elon Musk are taking up the charge though.

·
Registered
997 Posts
A petition may work, only if under a new administration. Though it's probably a good idea Obama is not interested in NASA, knowing how fast he runs his mouth.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What is then?

·
Registered
ENTP
821 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Point is, we spend over $750 billion on defense a year. China is in 2nd place with a mere $150 billion. I think we need to relax and redirect our cash flow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts