Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm curious to see what personality types fans of the series are. If you are a fan, put down your type and explain what you like about the series. You can also talk about which games of the series you like or dislike.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
i'm not sure what type i am, as to what i like about the series...? i like the "dark-feel" to it, and the slightly disturbing monsters. there's just something different about the movie as if they focused less taking traditional "bad guys/monsters" and just presenting them in some preset formula, and instead started from the standpoint of "what would cause a visceral reaction"--what is it that crawls just beneath the surface that's scary/alarming on an unconscious level, a possible throw back of an older, buried form of human thought.

i haven't seen the second one (actually going today with my girlfriend), but from the previews it seems sort of bad, like they're reverting to a commercialized/blockbuster style.

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
I'm curious to see what personality types fans of the series are. If you are a fan, put down your type and explain what you like about the series. You can also talk about which games of the series you like or dislike.
INTP and big, big fan of the series although this has more to do with my enneagram than my MBTI type I think. Silent Hill just appeals to aesthetically to me. It speaks to my 5w4- and 4w5-ness.

I think a more relevant question is: what enneatypes are Silent Hill fans? I think a lot of them will be 5w4 or 4w5 somewhere in their stack. Silent Hill is just so 5w4.

By the way, it's not just the "darkness" of the series but the fact that... it touches on something profound I think few other franchises do. It really says something important about the human condition and it doesn't shy from reaity. It doesn't attempt to glorify humanity as much as actually shows how flawed we are.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
INTP and big, big fan of the series although this has more to do with my enneagram than my MBTI type I think. Silent Hill just appeals to aesthetically to me. It speaks to my 5w4- and 4w5-ness.

I think a more relevant question is: what enneatypes are Silent Hill fans? I think a lot of them will be 5w4 or 4w5 somewhere in their stack. Silent Hill is just so 5w4.

By the way, it's not just the "darkness" of the series but the fact that... it touches on something profound I think few other franchises do. It really says something important about the human condition and it doesn't shy from reaity. It doesn't attempt to glorify humanity as much as actually shows how flawed we are.
Thanks, I think I agree. Someone's enneagram might be a better indicator of why someone would like the series. People obviously like the series for different reasons that go outside of personality type or enneagram. The "darkness" isn't what draws me in either(though I am a horror and thriller fan). The characters, symbolism, and mood of the series are what draws me in. I like how it reflects the flaws of the human condition. The human condition is a subject matter I am naturally drawn to.

The series has an air of honesty to it. I like how the main characters are the "every man" so to speak. They aren't bounty hunters, secret agents, ect. I think because the characters are average, it allows us as players to relate to them better. Or at least, it allows players to leave a gimmicky world many videogames have become. I also like how it doesn't undermine the player's intelligence and allows the player to fill in the missing pieces on his or her own.

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
Thanks, I think I agree. Someone's enneagram might be a better indicator of why someone would like the series. People obviously like the series for different reasons that go outside of personality type or enneagram. The "darkness" isn't what draws me in either(though I am a horror and thriller fan). The characters, symbolism, and mood of the series are what draws me in. I like how it reflects the flaws of the human condition. The human condition is a subject matter I am naturally drawn to.

The series has an air of honesty to it. I like how the main characters are the "every man" so to speak. They aren't bounty hunters, secret agents, ect. I think because the characters are average, it allows us as players to relate to them better. Or at least, it allows players to leave a gimmicky world many videogames have become. I also like how it doesn't undermine the player's intelligence and allows the player to fill in the missing pieces on his or her own.
Agreed about everything you said in the second paragraph. I definitely think it's brutally honest in its approach in how it depicts people. They all have issues and I see this as a very important aspect of the characterization and what makes me enjoy the series.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts