Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Se- "Woah, that glazed doughnut looks good, and it smells really nice. It feels really warm too, this is a hot doughnut! -Eats Doughnut-

Lesson: Se notices things, and may or may not participate in them, depending on it's placement in stack. If Dom-Se, it then resorts to it's inner judging/decision making function to decide the next step.

Si-"This glazed doughnut reminds me of the other shop I used to hang around in, where they would add the frosting more ontop rather than coat the entire doughnut with sugar. Back when life was more.. simple. Better times, definitely better times."

Lesson: Si more or less relates back to impressionable sensations within their own experiences, from a way that seems romantic. This isn't to say that various other types or functions can't have their own expressions tempered from past experiences, this is more or less about internalized concrete experiences as opposed to the latter.

Ne: "This glazed doughnut, would be so much better.. If there were, like, little sprinkles added on them? Or like what if this doughnut was like the last doughnut in the world? And like-Visualizes an entire movie scene with twists and turns about the doughnut.* And at the end one of the twists is, that the friend whom was with me for throughout the chase betrayed me just to get it and we're at a Mexican stand-off with hand-guns both pointed at each other?"

Lesson: Ne takes possibilities and exaggerates them, it loves explores various different concepts, and accepts a variety of different perspectives and seeks to explore every one of them.

Ni: "In a way.. This doughnut is synonymous towards the cycles of life. A natural flow or progression towards an ever-looming future. Every bite we take as humans is bears true of our need to break the cycles that bind us towards this continuous chain of events. Maybe one day, we can shed the consistency and look forward towards a new future."

Lesson: Ni takes impressions through symbolic flows of subconsciousness, and applies an abstract meaning towards them. The doughnut isn't just a doughnut, it represents something beyond what the eye has seen.

Fi: "This doughnut is tasty and I want it."

Lesson: Fi focuses more or on it's own decision making. How it feels about the doughnut is more important than other's opinion.

Fe:"So this is the glaze doughnut so many other people were talking about."

Lesson: Fe is interested/focused on in a shared, collective experience. Keep in mind, it doesn't necessarily mean they want to do what everyone else does, but that what other people enjoy is something they are aware of.

Ti: "This is a glazed doughnut.. How do they make these things?"

Lesson: Ti is interested in what makes up the doughnut and how it is constructed. Not necessarily focused on facts, but more or less curious about its own thought processes.

Te: "Why is there frosting on top of this doughnut, as opposed to under it as well? That way, you wouldn't have to worry about biting a bland spot? Especially, considering that 95% of people enjoy eating them in such a way."

Lesson: Te is more about efficiency and effectiveness, taking every bit of the doughnut into consideration, and focused on utilization.

I may take another stab at actual functions in a more serious manner one day, not sure. It depends on time.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Si-"This glazed doughnut reminds me of the other shop I used to hang around in, where they would add the frosting more ontop rather than coat the entire doughnut with sugar. Back when life was more.. simple. Better times, definitely better times."

Lesson: Si more or less relates back to impressionable sensations within their own experiences, from a way that seems romantic. This isn't to say that various other types or functions can't have their own expressions tempered from past experiences, this is more or less about internalized concrete experiences as opposed to the latter.
Si- "WARNING... WARNING... This glazed doughnut is different than expected."

For me, as a SiTe ISTJ, the Si comparison really starts and ends with "this is different than my archetypal doughnut". There is NEVER any "this reminds me of..." in terms of specific locations/incidences, etc., or (especially) nostalgic/romantic longings for the "old" doughnut. There is never any presumptive favoring of the old over the new... just an "alarm" that something is, indeed, new or different and warrants additional investigation/vetting. Si will also provide Te with referential details about the archetypal doughnut to support Te in understanding the new doughnut and determining its positive and negative qualities relative to the reference doughnut. NOTHING from Si directly/inherently/unilaterally precludes the new doughnut from being determined as better and becoming the new archetype.

Where we tend to get into conflicts with others is when the other party wants an immediate response/decision without allowing time for what we consider mandatory due diligence. Not much is required for evaluating a doughnut, but quite often we take more time performing that due diligence than others - reckless fools that they are! ;) - have patience for.

I could imagine that SiFe or other stacks with Si in lower positions could experience Si differently, possibly in a less "clinical" way than SiTe does but, in any case, I do not believe that Si all by itself is responsible for any of those nostalgic/romantic feelings.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,560 Posts

For me, as a SiTe ISTJ, the Si comparison really starts and ends with "this is different than my archetypal doughnut". There is NEVER any "this reminds me of..." in terms of specific locations/incidences, etc., or (especially) nostalgic/romantic longings for the "old" doughnut. There is never any presumptive favoring of the old over the new... just an "alarm" that something is, indeed, new or different and warrants additional investigation/vetting. Si will also provide Te with details about the archetypal doughnut to support Te in making a considered determination of better/worse and or safe/dangerous for the new doughnut. NOTHING from Si directly/inherently/unilaterally precludes the new doughnut from becoming the new archetype.

Where we tend to get into conflicts with others is when the other party wants an immediate response/decision without allowing time for what we consider mandatory due diligence.

I could imagine that SiFe or other combinations with SI in lower stack positions could experience Si differently, and in a less "clinical" way than SiTe does, but in any case I do not believe that Si all by itself is responsible for any of those nostalgic/romantic feelings.
I was going to post something along the lines of this, but couldn't form the right words yet. I agree though, I don't think I would ever think of the doughnut in terms of "this reminds me of..." and develop romantic nostalgia over it lol. More like, "hmm this doughnut is bigger than expected. It's actually tastier than expected. I am pleasantly surprised". Which pretty much is what you're saying about the expected archetype of a doughnut. ISTJs tend to compare and contrast things a lot in order to form a conclusion of it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
which function is this closest to

"I see that they are advertising the glazed donut prominently in comparison to the other doughnuts. ah, I see what they're doing.. I suspect there's some kind of quota this restaurant has to fulfill and they have been struggling with it and had to resort to this as a result. interesting.."

·
Registered
648 Posts
also the way you described the Ti function makes it seem more like a perceiving function than a judging one. it doesn't seem like it's judging or classifying incoming info, it looks like it's seeking information like a perceiving one would.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

"I see that they are advertising the glazed donut prominently in comparison to the other doughnuts. ah, I see what they're doing.. I suspect there's some kind of quota this restaurant has to fulfill and they have been struggling with it and had to resort to this as a result. interesting.."
Seems more like Ni-Ti-Se. It's drawing it's own conclusions, but with a slight glance at something around them. Se would probably be at the bottom for this person, within the scenario considering how they don't have much of an interest in helping nor any empathy or any interaction, just detached curiosity. I almost considered it being a Ti-dom with tert Si, because I notice tert Si is the main one whom enjoys comparing the new with the old the most.

Reactions: spaceynyc

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

For me, as a SiTe ISTJ, the Si comparison really starts and ends with "this is different than my archetypal doughnut". There is NEVER any "this reminds me of..." in terms of specific locations/incidences, etc., or (especially) nostalgic/romantic longings for the "old" doughnut. There is never any presumptive favoring of the old over the new... just an "alarm" that something is, indeed, new or different and warrants additional investigation/vetting. Si will also provide Te with details about the archetypal doughnut to support Te in making a considered determination of better/worse and or safe/dangerous for the new doughnut. NOTHING from Si directly/inherently/unilaterally precludes the new doughnut from becoming the new archetype.

Where we tend to get into conflicts with others is when the other party wants an immediate response/decision without allowing time for what we consider mandatory due diligence. Not much is required for evaluating a doughnut, but quite often we take more time performing that due diligence than others - reckless fools that they are! ;) - have patience for.

I could imagine that SiFe or other stacks with Si in lower positions could experience Si differently, possibly in a less "clinical" way than SiTe does but, in any case, I do not believe that Si all by itself is responsible for any of those nostalgic/romantic feelings.
I am aware how the function works, but if you took my "Silly" explanation seriously, then it would imply that I believe all Ne users make entire movie scenes about every little matter they come across. Which I wouldn't find impossible, but I would also like to admit, this thread has brought me to notice that the two personality types that tend to use the functions I notice the most hung up on specific nitpicks are the ones I easily rub a particular way that is either annoyance or I just know how to push those specific buttons.

Ti still pointing out inconsistencies, and Si still hung up on matters that differ from their own specific impressions. Sorry, if I did rub anyone the wrong way.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Seems more like Ni-Ti-Se. It's drawing it's own conclusions, but with a slight glance at something around them. Se would probably be at the bottom for this person, within the scenario considering how they don't have much of an interest in helping nor any empathy or any interaction, just detached curiosity. I almost considered it being a Ti-dom with tert Si, because I notice tert Si is the main one whom enjoys comparing the new with the old the most.
this is my line of thinking a lot of the time, I see something and I always assume there's something that someone is not telling us or not showing us and my mind immediately tries to create something to fill that in. is this Ni & Ti overriding Se? Also I can see where you're coming from with Ti - Si but most of my theories aren't based in comparison to old observations, it's usually based on context clues in front of me currently.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
also the way you described the Ti function makes it seem more like a perceiving function than a judging one. it doesn't seem like it's judging or classifying incoming info, it looks like it's seeking information like a perceiving one would.
Yeah, can you tell it's the function I spend the less time with? Lol However, in a more serious manner, I suppose I should've omitted the "This is a doughnut" part from it, but it's more or less that Ti seems like the one function that would listen to a lyric and think.. "What does that actually mean?" Then it would spend a long amount of time dissecting the possibility of it and if it made sense to them, they would leave it alone, but if not, they would try come up with a suggestion for how to "fix it". Ti's a lot like a mechanic from my perspective, trying to sort out the construct in order to see how the pieces fit according to their own mindset. Whenever I come across an internal functions point of view, I sort of just learn to nod my head because it's coming from a reality that would only appeal to their own minds and only people with similar internal impressions, feelings, or thoughts could relate to it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Yeah, can you tell it's the function I spend the less time with? Lol However, in a more serious manner, I suppose I should've omitted the "This is a doughnut" part from it, but it's more or less that Ti seems like the one function that would listen to a lyric and think.. "What does that actually mean?" Then it would spend a long amount of time dissecting the possibility of it and if it made sense to them, they would leave it alone, but if not, they would try come up with a suggestion for how to "fix it". Ti's a lot like a mechanic from my perspective, trying to sort out the construct in order to see how the pieces fit according to their own mindset. Whenever I come across an internal functions point of view, I sort of just learn to nod my head because it's coming from a reality that would only appeal to their own minds and only people with similar internal impressions, feelings, or thoughts could relate to it.
This makes a lot of sense, I like the mechanic analogy. An image that came to my mind as soon as I read that is a mechanic, looking at a pipe, wondering why it's shaped the way it is, and then taking a torch and bending it to the shape they think it should be. Ti users do the same thing but instead of a physical pipe it's a mental line of reasoning or logic.

Reactions: Xcopy

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I am aware how the function works, but if you took my "Silly" explanation seriously, then it would imply that I believe all Ne users make entire movie scenes about every little matter they come across. Which I wouldn't find impossible, but I would also like to admit, this thread has brought me to notice that the two personality types that tend to use the functions I notice the most hung up on specific nitpicks are the ones I easily rub a particular way that is either annoyance or I just know how to push those specific buttons.

Ti still pointing out inconsistencies, and Si still hung up on matters that differ from their own specific impressions. Sorry, if I did rub anyone the wrong way.

Sure didn't rub me the wrong way, and thought I had a bit of silliness as well (well, at least ISTJ silliness).:dry: I almost used "WARNING WILL ROBINSON" instead, but figured most here are too young to get the reference.

I will say that the whole nostalgic/romantic view of the past that is often associated with Si never sits well with me, and that obviously came out in my post, but I had no ill intent towards you and your post whatsoever.:rugby:

·
Banned
5,331 Posts

This is how I work - it's abductive reasoning - the most common of all.

Make observations, then predictions for best-fit/simplest/most obvious conclusion.
i.e observe one donut is being advertised more than another, then off into theory land re: best-fit conclusion without any additional supporting evidence.

This kind of observation itself, would spawn from Ti - which constantly measures and compares thing to each other and makes value-less judgments with regards to them.

I would suggest this process overall, would be a combination of Se (perceive the object lol), Ti (compare the donuts to each other and spot the differences) then Ni abstracting a best-fit conclusion based on these observations.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Ni: "In a way.. This doughnut is synonymous towards the cycles of life. A natural flow or progression towards an ever-looming future. Every bite we take as humans is bears true of our need to break the cycles that bind us towards this continuous chain of events. Maybe one day, we can shed the consistency and look forward towards a new future."
Ni is some trippy shit.

·
Registered
306 Posts

I do relate to this and can see myself thinking something along these lines, although I don't know that I'd necessarily think past experiences were better. I guess that'd just depend. But I've definitely had thoughts similar to all the other function's reactions too, lol. This is a really cute thread. :)

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,560 Posts

Ni is some trippy shit.
Does anybody really think/talk like this??? In real life?!!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts