Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there people,

INFP here, hellos. Been wondering this question as I can think of a lot of situations where if I had just said 'yes' and gone along with the flow I would not only enjoy more in life but perhaps gain that tidbit of social interaction necessary for people to succeed in life...

I've had situations where I would be paralysed with not knowing how comfortable I would feel to be in x/y/z situation, and had to think, re-think, double think & rethink before fear reaches a point where I just flat out refuse to change and do something new...

... Or am I over thinking this?

Any comments from anyone appreciated, would love to hear people's perspective on one(or many) INFP's dilemma..

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I think it could make life easier and a bit more fun. But over thinking can become an asset when you apply it to things which require a lot of thought. So i think it's a skill which can become a handicap sometimes.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I agree with the guy with the Avatar avatar. :)

For some, over thinking is a part of what makes them a person. While some may see it negatively, there's those rely on that instead of making spontaneous decisions with no thinking to back it up.

In other words, it has the ability to compensate for something bad, however, it can also be destructive--depending on the situation.

·
Registered
299 Posts
It's a trait, skill or whatever you wish to call it, it is not positive nor negative on its own, it requires external conditions to define its current effect. We can all construct situations where one is good/bad (In regards to Overthinking Vs Recklessnes). Then again, both are extremes. It would be a lot better to try to keep control of the impulses while stopping thoughts that trail off for to long.

Then again, analyzing something is a skill which is very valuable on its own, so why complain we can do something many are incapable of?

I know which one that irritates me the most in others though, so I'll be biased and say I prefer to be a overthinking procrastinating little wuzz =)

/Kinda rushed due to being at 'work'

Edit: Changed Impulsiveness for Recklessnes

·
Registered
469 Posts
Stop thinking, and end your problems. (Tao Te Ching, 20).

I once posted this on Facebook and was roundly attacked by my friends, who self-righteously said "most people don't think enough." But I let the quote stand, because I believe we bring upon ourselves all kinds of unhappiness by making things too complicated by thinking too much. Well, perhaps I'll revise "we" to "me." The rest of you can speak for yourselves :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
By definition, probably yes. Since "overthinking" has to be more thinking than necessary.

But if you have two people, and they each have a different strength, and then you take one away from the one on the left, are they going to be more successful? You can't just remove something, you have to add something. What would you do besides think, just sit there? No, the problem isn't thinking too much, it's doing something else too little. (But what?)

Then again, they say "a little knowledge is dangerous." Perhaps the only way out, is through.

But then maybe the only way through is out?

All or nothing, right? Or did we want balance?

Anyways, good luck thinking your way to an answer on overthinking. Meanwhile everyone else is out doing (often pointless) things. Which makes me think, would "success" even be a good reason to change? Look at how people "succeed" by trampling all over each other. Is that what you want to be?

Better to overthink than underthink, I think.

·
Registered
113 Posts
People who know me always say I think too much, or "don't think, do." I think it's true, to a point. I wish I knew how to put the brakes on overthinking. I can mentally talk myself out of anything by thinking of the possible negative consequences.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Life would probably be a lot funner without the overthinking, but there'd probably be too many mistakes in between for me to handle.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
It might allow me to succeed in life. Although that success may well be measured by someone else's standards, not my own.

What good is it to win the world, if you lose your soul(or yourself)?

·
Registered
17 Posts
For me, yes, definitely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts