Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am supposedly INFP, with high Te. Most of us come to this forum to find like-minded people, therefore I am interested to see in which ways we might be alike.

• I tolerate weak people, misfits. I would never bully anyone. Only time I judge (and quite harshly) is if I am really invested in a project and someone wants to do something that I find stupid.

• Took a few courses of literature at university a couple of years ago. Was always frustrated that everything was so vague. A bunch of talk and never any conclusions.

• Very impatient with ineffective systems. If a system is automated and it misunderstands me it can drive me insane.

• Buys a laptop like this:
    1. Research laptops for about a month.
    2. Orders one home from the internet (since it is cheaper).
    3. Sends it back because it back because it lacks a feature I must have.
    4. Repeat step 2 and 3 about 2 times more.
    5. Finally settles.

• Don't complain about how I feel. Instead comes up with idea how I can grow personally (Fi) from the experience.

• Enneagram type 3. But whole life is aimed at breaking away from that, becoming more humble, more in the now.

• Believes that life is an illusion. There is no point in doing anything other than things we enjoy. Also believes life is eternal and deeply interconnected.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
I am supposedly INFP, with high Te. Most of us come to this forum to find like-minded people, therefore I am interested to see in which ways we might be alike.

• I tolerate weak people, misfits. I would never bully anyone. Only time I judge (and quite harshly) is if I am really invested in a project and someone wants to do something that I find stupid.
  • Took a few courses of literature at university a couple of years ago. Was always frustrated that everything was so vague. A bunch of talk and never any conclusions.
  • Very impatient with ineffective systems. If a system is automated and it misunderstands me it can drive me insane.
  • Buys a laptop like this:
    1. Research laptops for about a month.
    2. Orders one home from the internet (since it is cheaper).
    3. Sends it back because it back because it lacks a feature I must have.
    4. Repeat step 2 and 3 about 2 times more.
    5. Finally settles.
  • Don't complain about how I feel. Instead comes up with idea how I can grow personally (Fi) from the experience.
  • Enneagram type 3. But whole life is aimed at breaking away from that, becoming more humble, more in the now.
  • Believes that life is an illusion. There is no point in doing anything other than things we enjoy. Also believes life is eternal and deeply interconnected.
Hum, some of the things you said sound more INTJ than INFP.
How do you know that you are Enneagram type 3? Being insufferably cocky etc. doesn't necessarily make you a 3. Being arrogant can be caused by many factors, e.g. upbringing, young age and therefore lack of contact with a sufficient number of people who are 'better' than you, etc. I used to be like that as a teenager, but I'm a 6.

Also, superficial 3 descriptions are something that most people would agree with, especially when they're just thinking about their work rather than their whole life. I mean, who wouldn't want to be: "self-assured, attractive, and charming. Ambitious, competent, and energetic, they can also be status-conscious and highly driven for advancement."

It's the unhealthy manifestations of 3 that you need to look at and only if you see yourself in them, can you say that you're a 3.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the unhealthy manifestations of 3 that you need to look at and only if you see yourself in them, can you say that you're a 3.
To be honest, I don't know much about enneagram typology. I just read it through briefly yesterday and felt like 3 were a fit.
I could definitely also relate to 6, I used to suffer from quite severe anxiety.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
To be honest, I don't know much about enneagram typology. I just read it through briefly yesterday and felt like 3 were a fit.
I could definitely also relate to 6, I used to suffer from quite severe anxiety.
I'm not an expert on Enneagram, but this is definitely not how you should go about it. Some aspects of Enneagram are less affirming than MBTI, i.e. they look at the unhealthy side of types far more than standard MBTI does. Enneagram deals with "fixations" as well as the more positive aspects of a type. Furthermore, it's based on early childhood influences and psycho-spiritual development. It's not something you can figure out from just looking at it briefly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not an expert on Enneagram, but this is definitely not how you should go about it. Some aspects of Enneagram are less affirming than MBTI, i.e. they look at the unhealthy side of types far more than standard MBTI does. Enneagram deals with "fixations" as well as the more positive aspects of a type. Furthermore, it's based on early childhood influences and psycho-spiritual development. It's not something you can figure out from just looking at it briefly.
Okay, sure. I'll change my point to this:

Growing up I felt a need to be special and seen. But as I've grown older I've been able to break away from that. I no longer care about what people think of me, I am more humble and I am more in the moment.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You certainly seem more INTJ c: (Even though there is a possibility of life being an illusion, i can create more meaning out of it). Oh and when I do buy something, I generally research it for like a whole day, get addicted to it, then buy it impulsively. Then I get bored of it c:. I do sometimes complain about how I feel.. a lot rather. I have a whole journal to talk about my thoughts (yes!). But I tend to linger about it.. but then I realize that it's really not worth lingering over. So Fi can sometimes be a hell hole for me.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Except for how you buy a laptop, you do sound kinda INTJish. But your laptop-buying seems rather 'perceptive' and 'open-ended' than 'judging' and 'closed.' For me it would be -determine necessary characteristics -select most optimal (cheapest? fastest?) computer that meets those requirements -buy -never look back.

The personal growth thing that you attributed to Fi I've always attributed to Ni: 'if I don't like my perspective (how I think/feel) right now, then I change it, not complain about it.' (Si&Ne is like 'lets take what we have and build something new/crazy out of it', whereas Ni&Se is 'lets study what we have and figure out how to (rotate, flip) fit it into the puzzle/big picture'.)

Anyhow, you are welcome to hang out and read threads and participate. There are several nice, peaceable non-INTJs who frequent the forum.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Except for how you buy a laptop, you do sound kinda INTJish. But your laptop-buying seems rather 'perceptive' and 'open-ended' than 'judging' and 'closed.' For me it would be -determine necessary characteristics -select most optimal (cheapest? fastest?) computer that meets those requirements -buy -never look back.

The personal growth thing that you attributed to Fi I've always attributed to Ni: 'if I don't like my perspective (how I think/feel) right now, then I change it, not complain about it.' (Si&Ne is like 'lets take what we have and build something new/crazy out of it', whereas Ni&Se is 'lets study what we have and figure out how to (rotate, flip) fit it into the puzzle/big picture'.)

Anyhow, you are welcome to hang out and read threads and participate. There are several nice, peaceable non-INTJs who frequent the forum.
Yes, I buy my laptop more practically that way as well but am not positive that techniques about buying a laptop is a good indicator for INTJ over INFP or visa versa.

However, a lot of what the original poster claimed I can relate to.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I'm sure you've noticed that part of the description of an INFP is a weak Te. Why do you think you are supposedly an INFP? Or why do you think you have strong Te? The two don't fit together very well.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
I'm sure you've noticed that part the description of an INFP is a weak Te. Why do you think you are supposedly an INFP? Or why do you think you have strong Te? The two don't fit together very well.
That's what I'd like to know. What does it mean to supposedly be an INFP? Did someone else say he's an INFP and therefore it's true?

There are three possibilities here, @trocke:
a) You are neither an INTJ nor an INFP but a different type, my e.g. ISFP (very practical due to Se, weird and atrociously offensive sense of humour due to inf Te, although remarks are based on individual qualities of the other person, not 'dark humour' about death, sex, drugs etc.)
b) You are an INFP, and what you describe as 'high' Te isn't 'high' but you're in the grip the inferior function due to stress. It could also be your Fi overestimating the magnitude of your Te because it is so paranoid of Te and keen to suppress it, that Te seems like a bigger enemy than it is. Dom Fi could also be mistaken for 'Te', if people think that 'Te' means being opinionated or morally self-righteous.
c) You are an INTJ and because you are rather laid-back and don't seem like a psychopathic, workaholic asshole with ambitions to rule the world and exterminate the genetically inferior in the process, people told you you must be an INFP.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts