Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I don't think any of this is groundbreaking and I'm sure its been stated elsewhere but I sure wish someone had explained the functions like this to me at least. This may be "wrong" but it's my way of explaining and hopefully someone else will find it useful.

I'll break it down into two sections, introverted and extroverted

Main introverted function-How do you stay true to yourself?

Si - By following Cultural traditions/Past information
Ni- By following your Vision of future____
Ti - By following Principals (Logical)
Fi - By following Values (Ideal)

Main extroverted function-How do you relate to your environment

Se - With Sensual information
Ne - Through Possibilities
Te - Logistically
Fe - Socially

It's nothing new but in this format, at least for me, it makes it easier to introspect and understand what drives you.

By having one function as your main function, it does not disallow you to not use the others; you may use Ni to shape your future but in a very value oriented way, or with consideration to culture.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I don't think "cultural traditions" is quite right for Si. "Being informed by the past" might be better. My dad is probably an ISTJ, but he rebels against a lot of cultural traditions he grew up with. His music taste and general social tolerance would be examples of that.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're probably right, my Si is my least used function so I was just going with a fairly standard understanding.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Fi is not irrational. Both the the Feeling functions are rational. Rational thinking means to reason, & it does not have to be purely logical. Logic is only one form of reasoning. N & S are called irrational thinking, as they do not reason, but "see" or are aware.

Ti reasons on the premise of logic, but Fi reasons on the premise of the ideal. Both of them form premises that stem from an internal instinct of sorts, meaning both use a subjective based reasoning.

I've thought of something like this for very simplified descriptions of the P functions:

Si - What has been, based on a personal impression of the experience (or observation or info, etc)
Ni- What (likely) will be, based on a vision composed from what unrelated impressions imply
Se - What is, based on a perception of what the tangible is literally & directly conveying
Ne - What could be, based on a perception of what the tangible implies indirectly

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thats not really what I was going for but I guess you're correct in your own definition. I was going for a tool to make introspection easier for some just getting into the functions.

P.S. I changed the irrational to ideal because you're right

1 - 5 of 5 Posts