Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, one thing I am curious about is if you got something similiar to what I got going on inside my brain. Like walking, simulating conversations I want to have but never dare initiate, or conversations I would have wanted to have in the past. Sad thing is they never end like I want them to cause my internal sense of logic seems to stir them away from my percieved optimal result. One common one is with a girl that I was unhappily in love with during High School, and that starts with her asking why I liked her.

Sometimes I imagine myself being in court for something, being my own laywer and similiar theoretical situations.

Anyone else with these kinds of simulations?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes. I often have conversations in my head. They are mainly hypothetical situations I've created that go off on a complete tangent. It's fun!

And trust me... there are other blatant spelling mistakes!

Reactions: honestfi

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wow, I was just on the bus and thought about making a topic like this.

Basically, I found that my way of thinking about stuff usually takes the form of a conversation. Said conversation always has a target audience, like a forum or a friend of mine who is profound on the topic. Whenever I think about a certain thing, I imagine myself talking to someone specific who is profound on said topic. I then go on to explain to him/her/them what my opinion is. I will explain in a way specificly to them so they understand me.

Last year I took a formal logic course, and apprehending that seemed to be a very different, much more linear way of thinking about things. But once I got the concepts and was working on something, I went back to free-flowing mode. Concepts I'd been using for a while that I fully understood were then easy to "translate to the language" of the person who needed me to explain it to them. Concepts that were relatively new I would be able to correctly solve problems with, but it'd be much more difficult for me to explain it to someone else. Are these ways of thinking symbolic for right-brain (P) and left-brain (J) thinking?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. I often have conversations in my head. They are mainly hypothetical situations I've created that go off on a complete tangent. It's fun!

And trust me... there are other blatant spelling mistakes!
Wouldnt suprise me a bit. I am really to lazy to proof-read my writings, and to bad at the english language to spell right the first time.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I often have philosophical conversations with myself, in my head. I do this because I can usually argue for more positions than the people I regularly interact with can.

I also simulate conversations important to my personal life beforehand, exploring what directions it could take, and what I could do to adapt.

Reactions: honestfi

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wouldnt suprise me a bit. I am really to lazy to proof-read my writings, and to bad at the english language to spell right the first time.
It looked like typing errors were causing the spelling mistakes anyway, I was just being picky.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Hey, one thing I am curious about is if you got something similiar to what I got going on inside my brain. Like walking, simulating conversations I want to have but never dare initiate, or conversations I would have wanted to have in the past. Sad thing is they never end like I want them to cause my internal sense of logic seems to stir them away from my percieved optimal result. One common one is with a girl that I was unhappily in love with during High School, and that starts with her asking why I liked her.

Sometimes I imagine myself being in court for something, being my own laywer and similiar theoretical situations.

Anyone else with these kinds of simulations?
One recommendation: start having those simulated convos!

Here's the thing, I have TONS of simulated convos, and at first they never went the way I thought they would; but, through years of trial and error I can now basically sit around 'training' myself for debates, job interviews, or flirtation session, etc. You can be quite the silver tongued INTP if you aren't afraid of looking like a complete weirdo every now and then, and if you do look weird enough times you'll start to laugh at it and people will grow to love your levity and self deprecating sense of humor. You can also start to get a feel for people right away and come up with lines to use based on what sort of person comes your way. I have a set of 'prude lines' for prude people, and a set of 'debonair lines' for fancy pompous people, etc.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I simulate conversations. I do not do this as much now as I did in my teen-age years, and nowadays I just predict with pretty good accuracy. A good emotional outburst from someone will usually throw me still.

I would not be surprised if this was a common type nine behavior. I would not be surprised if INTPs questioned their own perceptions and trying to affect them at some point in their lives.

It is really easy for me to become complacent. I often wage war with myself between my complacency and personal growth.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
I do this a lot when I've learned something new. I will discuss the new idea from many different viewpoints with various imaginary interlocutors. It's very effective. :proud:

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I speak to myself often but constantly interrupt myself when I'm in the middle of a sentence. Sometimes, I don't feel I'm really listening to what I'm saying and only nod to be nice.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Anyone else also use the language of the person they "speak" to? English is only my secondary language, but when I simulate conversations I actually do this in English most of the time because I live in the UK. I've also had simulated conversations with a Spanish friend of mine in Spanish, but my Spanish is so bad that I usually end up "telling her" that I'd like to switch to English because I feel stupid talking in Spanish.

If I said any of this to most of my friends, they'd send me to a mental hospital. Good to have these forums :happy:

·
Registered
672 Posts
@OP, yeah i do it all the time. And even though I'm creating these imaginary situations they don't always end well for me LOL!
OMG I can relate to that. If something at the end of the day has finished "open ended" (i.e. not fully resolved, could come and bite me on the bum at a later stage) I imagine a later convo and think about how I could win it, and worse case scenarios....

Reactions: The Phantom
1 - 14 of 14 Posts