Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are istp's skeptical of people who use intuition? especially intuitive feeling?

with all u know of mbti do u think it is wise to ignore an intuitive feeler when they say they know something?

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
We're skeptical of peoples motives (as are all SP types; it's part of our core values), regardless of type. In fact I don't think type ever comes into the picture for at least me, since we use Ni and Fe as our third and fourth funcitons. If you read the first description of the "Best Descriptions" thread, it says of the Analyzer Operator, "I spend a lot of time considering scenarios before I make decisions. I’ll usually go with a hunch, my intuition, what’s the most likely cause."

·
Registered
743 Posts
I certainly do use intuition.

I get hunches about people and situations. I used to ignore them, but now I go with them. They don't happen often, but when they do, it's pretty clear.

The lone ranger ISTP needs their sixth sense from time to time... and yes, as Functianalyst pointed out, I'm skeptical of people's motives: this person's being very nice to me for some reason, what the hell do they want?

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I certainly do use intuition.

I get hunches about people and situations. I used to ignore them, but now I go with them. They don't happen often, but when they do, it's pretty clear.

The lone ranger ISTP needs their sixth sense from time to time... and yes, as Functianalyst pointed out, I'm skeptical of people's motives: this person's being very nice to me for some reason, what the hell do they want?
i hate that my istp gets all skeptical of my motives. he accused me of trying to manipulate him by crying when the truth was i was trying my hardest to hide the fact that i was crying. i didn't want him to think i was a baby or see me as weak. i'm a fucking enfp! i can't help it if my emotions come streaming down my face sometimes. and i wasn't crying over some retarded emo shit either. i had some real world problems.

i wasn't asking if u are skeptical of ur own intuition i was asking if u were skeptical of other intuitive types intuitions on things. as in they might say they know something and u'll ask why and they'll say i don't know i just know. would u follow it up and look into it further? or would u just stay skeptical and dismiss them and their annoying know it all intuitiveness?

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
are istp's skeptical of people who use intuition? especially intuitive feeling?

with all u know of mbti do u think it is wise to ignore an intuitive feeler when they say they know something?

You should read BLINK:The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
i wasn't asking if u are skeptical of ur own intuition i was asking if u were skeptical of other intuitive types intuitions on things. as in they might say they know something and u'll ask why and they'll say i don't know i just know. would u follow it up and look into it further? or would u just stay skeptical and dismiss them and their annoying know it all intuitiveness?
I know you're addressing Capsicum with your inquiry, but I would like to chime in on this. If someone approached me the way you are alluding to, I would consider it the person's hunch and support them. My problem with most intuiting types is that they do know and they phrase it as though it's a fact. NJs and SJs are equally notorious for stating their opinion as fact. So I challenge them to show some proof of knowing, but they generally can't. In those situaitons of course I am going to be skeptical because the person didn't have a fucking clue of what they were talking about.

Having a hunch about something is fine. Stating an opinion as a fact based merely on a hunch is ludicrous, and yes I am going to be skeptical. The latter type of behavior is generally based on images and impressions, which means they can only come from Si or Ni. When someone using Ne does this, they are at least open to information to be considered to show they're hunch is not correct or to confirm it. But there may be something that we need to understand clarify. Intuition as we know it is not the same as intuition in type. In particualarly Ne is not used that way. Generally Ne dominant types blow my mind in quickly going on tangents during a discussion when the preceding debate was not concluded for me. Drives me batty, but I can generally reel them back in by asking whether we came to a conclusion on the previous matter.

·
Registered
743 Posts
The latter type of behavior is generally based on images and impressions, which means they can only come from Si or Ni. When someone using Ne does this, they are at least open to information to be considered to show they're hunch is not correct or to confirm it. But there may be something that we need to understand clarify. Intuition as we know it is not the same as intuition in type. In particualarly Ne is not used that way. Generally Ne dominant types blow my mind in quickly going on tangents during a discussion when the preceding debate was not concluded for me. Drives me batty, but I can generally reel them back in by asking whether we came to a conclusion on the previous matter.
Yes!

The difference is between Ne and Ni, not necessarily N and S.

I was friends with an INFJ girl a few years back, and her insights were profound. It was like she was pulling them from deep in the earth. For instance she used to say things like "that guy's so nice, so warm" and "that girl's really cold, but she tries to hide it" on seconds after meeting someone, and she was almost always right.

She was also, sadly, engaged to another guy.:sad:

Ne usually leaves me... underwhelmed. I have xNxP friends who think my intuition about others is batshit, because I'm using Ni and they're using Ne. And I think having an ENFJ mother made me appreciate my Ni more (and use it more).

But as Functianalyst pointed out, xNxJ types can see their opinions as fact, rather than opinions.

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
I get hunches all the time, and until recently I used to ignore them as well. One time I had the sudden epiphany that this one girl was manipulating me. Turned out she was an ENFJ... haha go figure (and this was before my days of MBTI). Anyway I admire people whose intuition turns out to be correct. Its like they have some magical power that I don't. But of course I'll be skeptical due to lack of information on the subject. Would I march men into battle based off a hunch? No.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
thank you for this post teabiscits

intuition is a very deep topic. i have always had this voice in side...but intuition can be complicated. when i was younger, and inexperienced, i would do stuff like "think the intuition hunches i got were real, and not distinguish reality from them" also sometimes you can get lost in a vision or thought if it is loud enough in your mind. but when age, and introduction to spiritual practice in my life, i have learned there is a lot more to this intuition stuff. there are other frequencies also that can create an image in a persons mind, to cause trouble, and also a person who is intuitive may not be able to distinguish which visions are theirs and which are from another source...whether the visions or hunches are from a positive or negative source either...

this i've been calling "nuances" i am exploring my intuition a lot on here, but asking a lot of questions about what i feel also, i also ask a person if it is ok to write about it too. but even in all of this, i exercise a lot of caution, and i never in day to day life, express any intuition feelings i get to others, unless they ask me specifically for how i feel, or unless the vision is compelling enough in my mind, where i feel the person would benefit from knowing what i saw.

actually this type of sixth sense stuff is best used under the guidance of a spiritual teacher, and best used for spiritual purposes, as subtle energy increases in the body, a persons ability to see through layers of boundaries (depth) increases...so i have been incorrect in a way, by sharing and using my abilities around INFJ sorts, but i cannot help to enjoy it a little, because they are pretty closed off about themselves, so i would see something that would help me understand what they are saying, thus making me able to connect with them better.

but there is no science to it for me, and again, it is better left alone in most cases, because it is not good to waste earned energy in worldly matters. i can see a protection aspect too, because of slightly elevated abilities (i'm no clairvoyant) but the accuracy of what i see is pretty high, i guess with age also, i can calculate other factors too, when i interpret a thought i get, it is kind of like dream analysis a bit...

but yes, protection - because i am able to tell who to approach and who not to approach for spiritual advice, and for company, because i can kind of tell where they are at in their path, and i know which paths suit me and which do not...and this is really the primary use for now at my stage. we've only got one life 100 years max :)

well yes, suspicion of intuition is healthy, and should be used...just try to be sensitive to the other person...if you want to help them... see why they "need" to feel like their intuition is right, why did they get that feeling? try to encourage a person to ask questions, and be honest if they have offended you with their thoughts...who knows, there is an appeal with intuitive type of people, maybe a lot of people want to mimick them, so they seem mysterious also? i have found in the past, figuring out people is a protection mechanism for me, to avoid being hurt, i analyse thought, and patterns as to avoid situations where i would be hurt or disappointed...i dislike surprises, maybe that was a motivator for me too...and well pure desire for spiritual path, this pushes me forward, so my intuition will be developed by default.

yes, avoid people you don't trust, especially clairvoyants that will ask you to spend a lot of money to tell you stuff that is not too relevant...many of them are just making a living, and look for a weak link to go for, to make money... i have lots of negative energy problems, so i did at one point spend a lot to try to help myself, but that time in my life is now over, i do have a good clairvoyant friend, who is always multiple steps ahead of me, that i trust, so i usually go with him...

but in actuality, we should not be looking into, and don't need to look into our futures. i just have a lot of issues, so i think that doing that sometimes helps me.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Intuition is not a sixth sense, it's something we all possess to some degree. Some of us have developed it more. Women usually rely on it more than men because women have a higher percentage of white matter inside their skulls than men do.

thank you for this post teabiscits

intuition is a very deep topic. i have always had this voice in side...but intuition can be complicated. when i was younger, and inexperienced, i would do stuff like "think the intuition hunches i got were real, and not distinguish reality from them" also sometimes you can get lost in a vision or thought if it is loud enough in your mind. but when age, and introduction to spiritual practice in my life, i have learned there is a lot more to this intuition stuff. there are other frequencies also that can create an image in a persons mind, to cause trouble, and also a person who is intuitive may not be able to distinguish which visions are theirs and which are from another source...whether the visions or hunches are from a positive or negative source either...

this i've been calling "nuances" i am exploring my intuition a lot on here, but asking a lot of questions about what i feel also, i also ask a person if it is ok to write about it too. but even in all of this, i exercise a lot of caution, and i never in day to day life, express any intuition feelings i get to others, unless they ask me specifically for how i feel, or unless the vision is compelling enough in my mind, where i feel the person would benefit from knowing what i saw.

actually this type of sixth sense stuff is best used under the guidance of a spiritual teacher, and best used for spiritual purposes, as subtle energy increases in the body, a persons ability to see through layers of boundaries (depth) increases...so i have been incorrect in a way, by sharing and using my abilities around INFJ sorts, but i cannot help to enjoy it a little, because they are pretty closed off about themselves, so i would see something that would help me understand what they are saying, thus making me able to connect with them better.

but there is no science to it for me, and again, it is better left alone in most cases, because it is not good to waste earned energy in worldly matters. i can see a protection aspect too, because of slightly elevated abilities (i'm no clairvoyant) but the accuracy of what i see is pretty high, i guess with age also, i can calculate other factors too, when i interpret a thought i get, it is kind of like dream analysis a bit...

but yes, protection - because i am able to tell who to approach and who not to approach for spiritual advice, and for company, because i can kind of tell where they are at in their path, and i know which paths suit me and which do not...and this is really the primary use for now at my stage. we've only got one life 100 years max :)

well yes, suspicion of intuition is healthy, and should be used...just try to be sensitive to the other person...if you want to help them... see why they "need" to feel like their intuition is right, why did they get that feeling? try to encourage a person to ask questions, and be honest if they have offended you with their thoughts...who knows, there is an appeal with intuitive type of people, maybe a lot of people want to mimick them, so they seem mysterious also? i have found in the past, figuring out people is a protection mechanism for me, to avoid being hurt, i analyse thought, and patterns as to avoid situations where i would be hurt or disappointed...i dislike surprises, maybe that was a motivator for me too...and well pure desire for spiritual path, this pushes me forward, so my intuition will be developed by default.

yes, avoid people you don't trust, especially clairvoyants that will ask you to spend a lot of money to tell you stuff that is not too relevant...many of them are just making a living, and look for a weak link to go for, to make money... i have lots of negative energy problems, so i did at one point spend a lot to try to help myself, but that time in my life is now over, i do have a good clairvoyant friend, who is always multiple steps ahead of me, that i trust, so i usually go with him...

but in actuality, we should not be looking into, and don't need to look into our futures. i just have a lot of issues, so i think that doing that sometimes helps me.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
We're skeptical of peoples motives (as are all SP types; it's part of our core values), regardless of type. In fact I don't think type ever comes into the picture for at least me, since we use Ni and Fe as our third and fourth funcitons. If you read the first description of the "Best Descriptions" thread, it says of the Analyzer Operator, "I spend a lot of time considering scenarios before I make decisions. I’ll usually go with a hunch, my intuition, what’s the most likely cause."
My ESFP mother isn't skeptical of peoples motives at all... neither is are my estp friends. Now.... ISTP and ISFP .... yes... my father (ISFP) is skeptical... so is my ISTP band mate. I would revise your assumption about SP's.

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know you're addressing Capsicum with your inquiry, but I would like to chime in on this. If someone approached me the way you are alluding to, I would consider it the person's hunch and support them. My problem with most intuiting types is that they do know and they phrase it as though it's a fact. NJs and SJs are equally notorious for stating their opinion as fact. So I challenge them to show some proof of knowing, but they generally can't. In those situaitons of course I am going to be skeptical because the person didn't have a fucking clue of what they were talking about.

Having a hunch about something is fine. Stating an opinion as a fact based merely on a hunch is ludicrous, and yes I am going to be skeptical. The latter type of behavior is generally based on images and impressions, which means they can only come from Si or Ni. When someone using Ne does this, they are at least open to information to be considered to show they're hunch is not correct or to confirm it. But there may be something that we need to understand clarify. Intuition as we know it is not the same as intuition in type. In particualarly Ne is not used that way. Generally Ne dominant types blow my mind in quickly going on tangents during a discussion when the preceding debate was not concluded for me. Drives me batty, but I can generally reel them back in by asking whether we came to a conclusion on the previous matter.
thanks. that was the kind of answer i was looking for. though i already knew the answer, i just had a feeling, an intuitive feeling if u will!:laughing: sorry if we drive u mad going off on tangents our brains are just wired that way. i will have to try to keep that in mind in future. though i'm not too sure if it would actually be good for my brain to try to force it to be linear. well i'll try anyway and see what happens. it may turn out to be good for me!

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I get hunches all the time, and until recently I used to ignore them as well. One time I had the sudden epiphany that this one girl was manipulating me. Turned out she was an ENFJ... haha go figure (and this was before my days of MBTI). Anyway I admire people whose intuition turns out to be correct. Its like they have some magical power that I don't. But of course I'll be skeptical due to lack of information on the subject. Would I march men into battle based off a hunch? No.
that's really interesting. do istp's in general end up feeling suspicious of enfj's the same way i feel about my opposite the istj? i read that enfj's try to change people to suit themselves. i could see how this could be quite harmful to an istp. would they end up making u feel like a useless scumbag for not having the same level of empathy that an enfj has? as an enfp it does bug me that my istp isn't as supportive as i would like him to be but i don't hold it against him. i just feel sorry for him when i get all emotional and he's sitting there not knowing what to say.bless his poor little autistic soul! but when he says i cry to manipulate him that really puts a bee in my bonnet but i can see now from mbti that he is only trying to protect himself and i shouldn't get my knickers in a twist over it. he just doesn't know any better. oh no i'm going off on a tangent now aren't i? ah well! :laughing:

·
Registered
743 Posts
Intuition is not a sixth sense, it's something we all possess to some degree. Some of us have developed it more. Women usually rely on it more than men because women have more white matter inside their skulls than men do.
Also because some women have a lot of sleazy men to deal with... they have to figure out who they can trust and who they can't.

My very unscientific $0.02.:tongue:

do istp's in general end up feeling suspicious of enfj's the same way i feel about my opposite the istj? i read that enfj's try to change people to suit themselves. i could see how this could be quite harmful to an istp. would they end up making u feel like a useless scumbag for not having the same level of empathy that an enfj has?
The only time I become suspicious of ENFJs is when they're friendly with me... and then friendly with everyone else. Makes me feel used. :sad:

i just feel sorry for him when i get all emotional and he's sitting there not knowing what to say.bless his poor little autistic soul!
???

·
Registered
583 Posts
that's really interesting. do istp's in general end up feeling suspicious of enfj's the same way i feel about my opposite the istj? i read that enfj's try to change people to suit themselves. i could see how this could be quite harmful to an istp. would they end up making u feel like a useless scumbag for not having the same level of empathy that an enfj has? as an enfp it does bug me that my istp isn't as supportive as i would like him to be but i don't hold it against him. i just feel sorry for him when i get all emotional and he's sitting there not knowing what to say.bless his poor little autistic soul! but when he says i cry to manipulate him that really puts a bee in my bonnet but i can see now from mbti that he is only trying to protect himself and i shouldn't get my knickers in a twist over it. he just doesn't know any better. oh no i'm going off on a tangent now aren't i? ah well! :laughing:

That's just inferior Fe rearing it's horrible, ugly head. Likely has little to do with him mistrusting your intuitions. If anything, you should trust yourself. That was also quite paranoid to say that you were trying to manipulate him by getting emotional, but perhaps there was something you stood to gain from it, doubtful if you were attempting to hold it back like you said.

I think you were likely emotional over your own issues, and just wanted some support. I would say that perhaps the two of you are not as close as you might think or hope you were. That could change if you talked about things.

What would be your ideal in that situation? How would you want your partner to be supportive? Surely you don't want to hold yourself back from who you truly are for fear of appearing weak?

Were I in that situation with you, I would have just let you cry, maybe sat next to you if that's what you wanted, just tried to make you feel comfortable while you had your moment, as it was obviously needed.

I have had difficulty being in situations where there's a lot of emotional energy exerted by others. But what I have learned is that, while it may stress me having to absorb that energy, the truth is I can take it, and people appreciate someone around who stays calm through the storm.

You shouldn't have to repress yourself. Perhaps talk to your ISTP about your needs, or find a new one :tongue:

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's just inferior Fe rearing it's horrible, ugly head. Likely has little to do with him mistrusting your intuitions. If anything, you should trust yourself. That was also quite paranoid to say that you were trying to manipulate him by getting emotional, but perhaps there was something you stood to gain from it, doubtful if you were attempting to hold it back like you said.

I think you were likely emotional over your own issues, and just wanted some support. I would say that perhaps the two of you are not as close as you might think or hope you were. That could change if you talked about things.

What would be your ideal in that situation? How would you want your partner to be supportive? Surely you don't want to hold yourself back from who you truly are for fear of appearing weak?

Were I in that situation with you, I would have just let you cry, maybe sat next to you if that's what you wanted, just tried to make you feel comfortable while you had your moment, as it was obviously needed.

I have had difficulty being in situations where there's a lot of emotional energy exerted by others. But what I have learned is that, while it may stress me having to absorb that energy, the truth is I can take it, and people appreciate someone around who stays calm through the storm.

You shouldn't have to repress yourself. Perhaps talk to your ISTP about your needs, or find a new one :tongue:
ur right that was very paranoid of him.he smokes way too much weed. and i think ur right that we aren't as close as i'd like. i was in a really bad place when we got together and there have just been so many misunderstandings and because of this i think he has put a wall up around himself. he hurt me with his confusion over how he felt and because i didn't think he cared about me i ended up hurting him too without realising it. i think the fact he can't empathise with why i did what i did has him so confused and mistrusting of me.

all i would want is for him to say "come here and give me a hug" just a simple acknowlegement that he cares i have something getting me down would be enough. and ur right again i shouldn't have to hide how i feel. i put on a brave face with everyone else i shouldn't have to do it with the person i love. i just know that it makes him uncomfortable and it isn't in my nature to make anyone feel uncomfortable. that just makes me feel uncomfortable.

we had a good talk the other night and i think we made some progress but as usual i forgot to say half the stuff i needed to. damn me and my random brain! i'll talk to him tomorrow i think and if he can't just get the fact that i am trustworthy and genuine i am going to give him his walking papers this time. dual or no dual. this childish shit is getting a bit old now.

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also because some women have a lot of sleazy men to deal with... they have to figure out who they can trust and who they can't.

My very unscientific $0.02.:tongue:

The only time I become suspicious of ENFJs is when they're friendly with me... and then friendly with everyone else. Makes me feel used. :sad:

???
u shouldn't feel used. they are just friendly people. they are friendly towards everyone, boys and girls. if u want to guage wether someone is really into u though watch out for prolonged eye contact. if she starts doing that with other people then run for the hills.

what are the question marks about? :laughing: i joke with my istp that he's autistic.it helps to remind me that he can't help being the way he is.

·
Registered
583 Posts
all i would want is for him to say "come here and give me a hug" just a simple acknowlegement that he cares i have something getting me down would be enough. and ur right again i shouldn't have to hide how i feel. i put on a brave face with everyone else i shouldn't have to do it with the person i love. i just know that it makes him uncomfortable and it isn't in my nature to make anyone feel uncomfortable. that just makes me feel uncomfortable.
That's all anyone wants when they have something getting them down. I think it's the inferior Fe that makes us feel helpless in situations like this, so our ENFJ shadow attempts to make other people the bad guy for making us feel helpless.

Yet the truth is we are not helpless, we can help just by being ourselves, by being present with someone crying, whether they have something to say about it or not. At times like that, people just want to feel they aren't alone, and if it's someone you care about you won't let them be alone, unless that's what they want/need.

I've heard people here refer to us as the lone ranger. I've lived my whole life feeling as if I were alone, mostly by choice, unwillingness to open up and connect to people. But we can't expect that everyone should be like us. And if we don't want to be alone our whole lives, we have to accommodate others in order to make worthwhile connections with them.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Intuition is not a sixth sense, it's something we all possess to some degree. Some of us have developed it more. Women usually rely on it more than men because women have a higher percentage of white matter inside their skulls than men do.
thanks for pointing this out, i am not good with definitions...i'm sorry for such a long post, i guess i can be in my own world most of the time.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts