Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow ISTP's,

So I've always heard that we're supposed to be better than most with tool's, but I've also noticed that not every ISTP is as stereotypical as I am when it comes to them.

What kind of "tools" do you love to use?
Are you highly skilled with a "tool" of some kind?

I personally love tools of all kinds, but some of my favorites are:

Metal/Wood Lathes
Bridgeport Milling Machines
Bandsaws
Welders
Hammers
Chisels
Axes
Framing Nail Guns
Circular Saws
Micrometers
Breaker Bars
Large Wrecking Bars
Clamps
Knives
Web Browsers
Text-to-Speech Programs
Cameras
Art Pencils

It could be anything basically, as long as it is used as a tool. :kitteh:

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've got a shopsmith I'm trying to recondition and get running again. I know it can be used as a lathe but right now I just need a table saw for rabbets/dados

My #1 fave tool is my compressor and nail gun. I feel magic when I use it.

Still trying to find a paint gun that isn't a total piece of crap.

My favorite "toy" is my 1988 harley golf cart (2 stroke engine) :)

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Hello fellow ISTP's,

So I've always heard that we're supposed to be better than most with tool's, but I've also noticed that not every ISTP is as stereotypical as I am when it comes to them.

What kind of "tools" do you love to use?
Are you highly skilled with a "tool" of some kind?

I personally love tools of all kinds, but some of my favorites are:

Art Pencils

It could be anything basically, as long as it is used as a tool. :kitteh:
^This.

Let's not forget our minds are also a tool.

Reactions: Benja

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love how I'm talking tools with three women, is this real life?

@MissFixit That shopsmith looks really useful btw, hadn't heard of it before, what's wrong with yours?

Let's not forget our minds are also a tool.
Is your mind your favorite tool?

That's why I said it could be basically anything, I wanted to see the different tools people prefer. I don't like my mind, it's always distracting me from action and over-analyzing things that I shouldn't care about.

I don't want to get into a tool-measuring contest, but yes I love tools. I bond with them far more than I bond with people.
Any particular favorites? If you won a free tool of any kind what would you choose to get?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Clamps, I'm a big fan of clamps.
So many uses.

Also, my guitar.

And of course, knives and guns.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Is your mind your favorite tool?
Yes it is one of them. But it does get in the way of action for me sometimes as well.

Of the conventional tools, allen wrenches hold a special place in my heart; it's the first thing that I thought of, along with needle-nose pliers. When doing projects with my ISTP dad when I was younger, I'd always be given the smaller, more fine motor tools to work with (probably because my dad has sausages for fingers haha).

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Clamps, I'm a big fan of clamps.
So many uses.
Definitely! I can't believe how many times I've used this one nice quick-grip bar clamp I bought spontaneously at the grocery store last summer.

My acoustic guitar is great too, need to get some new strings on it.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh good, free stuff. Well I need a timber planer, and a bigger chainsaw, so I'll take the one that costs more. Thanks.
Be careful what you wish for, I will be buying these soon as well as a portable sawmill if I keep getting hours at work. :wink:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hammers. Although people tell me it's overkill when I use it to break chocolate. Would they rather I smashed their furniture?
Pencils.
Knives.

Reactions: madhatter and Benja

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hammers. Although people tell me it's overkill when I use it to break chocolate.
"alright guys, i'll be in the kitchen making dessert." *grabs the hammer*
there's no better tool to crumble biscuits.

favorite tools: the dremel and my japanese handsaw.

·
Registered
128 Posts
"alright guys, i'll be in the kitchen EATING dessert." *grabs the hammer*
there's no better tool to crumble biscuits.

favorite tools: the dremel and my japanese handsaw.
Fixed. :proud:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Love love love tools!

I really like tools that serve one purpose like special pliers for crimping one specific electrical connector and stuff like that.

Linesman's pliers
framing hammer
Stihl 031 Chainsaw
Come-a-longs
MIG welder
Micro screwdrivers
Alignment bars of all sizes
Excavators
90 lb Pavement breakers

And the ultimate one of all....me. My mind in conjunction with my body is what really gets the job done!

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I really like tools that serve one purpose like special pliers for crimping one specific electrical connector and stuff like that.
Yeah, those are the ones I can never seem to find when I need them. So I have to improvise with a combination of totally the wrong pliers and swearing.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I love how I'm talking tools with three women, is this real life?

@MissFixit That shopsmith looks really useful btw, hadn't heard of it before, what's wrong with yours?
No it's not real life. In real life I have to join tool forums to get help with stuff I'm trying to fix, and I'm either the only woman or one of a very small percentage. In real life I can't just go ask guys for help because they tend to look at me funny and not take me seriously. (Once in Home Depot I asked where the sand was, guy said "for a sandbox?" and I said "no for sandblasting" and he seriously gave me a head-to-toe look that told me instantly that he didn't know squat about sandblasting.)

I don't know what's wrong with my shopsmith yet because I can't get the blade to turn freely right now. Plus I need to install a bigger breaker in my garage for it, it pulls more amps than I currently have available :(

I will say that my obsessions usually aren't about the tools themselves -- it's about using them to make something that I'm excited about. Being good with the tools is almost a byproduct or after thought of the process.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@MissFixit

I also am really into making things more than the tools themselves, though I have made some tools with my tools before and I swear I almost reached enlightenment.

If you ever need help troubleshooting your machine, let me know. Fixing and making tools is one of my favorite hobbies. :)

Btw, If I was that Home Depot guy I probably would have been swooning to bad to have helped. Lol

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Numerous cameras
Hand saw that I've been using for years
Hammer
My mechanic's tool set

That's about it. Never really took much interest in DIY, but began building a full sized steam propulsion unit complete with hot box and boiler. Also awaiting the day that I need to create a belt system to offload heavy cargo from vehicles onto a cart. Kind of funny I'd rather hire someone to fix anything that's broken with my home, but building stuff from scratch (including small structures) is appealing.... even though I'm slower than molasses finishing half the shit I start without a timetable or deadline.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts