Personality Cafe banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
It's true...I've also heard that. They're evil! A perfect way to set up some annoying person for an "accident"...

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'm having trouble sleeping. I just tested ISTP again but i took a different test previously and got ISFJ and from their forum not sleeping seems to be a common theme.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Huh...I can go to sleep just about anywhere i feel i suppose. But I read that a quite a few of my ISTP comrades don't dream. hrm. I have very vivid dreams, and I have them often. Like Erbse said, I can fall asleep on a rock or a bench if i feel like doing so, and i suppose i can push three days awake if i have finals for college coming up, though i prefer not to stay awake that long. I get fried. This is a topic I haven't seen before. interesting.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yeah, when I have something important coming up, i find it much harder for me to go to sleep. I haven't dreamt, or at least haven't remembered a dream since at least 8 years. Honestly, I can probably only remember 3 dreams, at most maybe 7 but no more than that. I do daydream sometimes, i've been told.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I once had a contest with my friend to see who could go 5 days with the least amount of sleep. She won by 30 min. I only had 19 hours of sleep those 5 days and i was still able to function, mostly, haha... I can stay up to 3am or 4am whenever I want. I have pulled SO many all nighters with out a wink of sleep. But I like to sleep when I can. I usuallyy dream. They're not always pleasant dreams...=/ But its interesting, I'm usually all alone in my dreams which is funny. Maybe my sub conscience is also introverted.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
i had trouble falling asleep when i was a younger, and i was an epic nightowl. i could stay awake easily for 30 hours at a time. Then I had a child that NEVER slept and put me thru the ringer of going 18 straight months without getting more than 90 minutes of sleep in one stretch. (no exaggeration) Now I’m a zombie at 11pm, and can barely wake up at 7am. I don't know what happened if I just got old or what but i'm a wimp that needs sleep to live.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have no problem staying awake for more than 24-48 hours. The longest I've pushed was 63. Having said that, I don't "enjoy" doing it. I highly value my sleep.

As far as sleeping anywhere, I can't. If too much is going on, it's hard for me to just, "zone out." I stay locked on noises and scents when I close my eyes and I can't stand to be unaware of what's surrounding me.
I'm a lot like xReborn - I can't fall asleep if there's too much going on around me (on airplanes, trains, in other peoples' homes while they're still up, etc). Even if I'm completely exhausted. I can also go a very long time without sleep - my record is 96 hours, but that's because I was on a train from Cali to NC, and I didn't have a private room, so... no sleep. I tried to sleep, it just wouldn't happen.

I have a hard time falling asleep unless I'm mentally exhausted or a little drunk. Otherwise, I can lay in bed for hours waiting for my brain to shut the hell up...

I don't usually remember my dreams.
It's hard for me to sleep in cars or trains or anything else like that I like to look around and I would hate to miss a thing (at the risk of sounding like aerosmith)....... but I LOVE my sleep.
It takes me a really long time to fall asleep, my mind always wonders in different places.
Once i'm asleep, i don't hear anything, sometimes i do, if someone turns the light on or something,or makes a lot of noise, but usually i don't even hear my phone ring.
I hate waking up, especially someone else waking me up, maybe it's my laziness, but i realize that now i'm awake and things need to get done....i prefer to sleep some more.
I can never take naps during the day. Something else usually interests me.
I can stay awake for long periods of time, especially when something interests me.
I have problems with the transitions. Difficulty falling asleep, difficulty waking up.

Part of it's probably my schedule. I work night shifts, then have to be up other days for family commitments, etc. That's not enough of an excuse, though, as I've always been this way to some extent.
This is me 100%.

Count me as one of the ones that can stay awake forever if I'm working on something that interests me or I'm reading a book too good to put down. I'm not sure what my record is, but I can think of 10 times in the last six months I've done 24-36 hours straight.

Transitions are also hard for me. It's hard to fall asleep after the standard 16 hours awake; there's too many interesting noises, and random things will occur to me and force me to jolt upright in bed, grab my laptop or iPhone, and begin a three-hour session of something that is, to me, life-or-death urgent to read about. :wink: I'm lucky if I fall asleep to get 5-6 hours of sleep, which absolutely kills me...but despite the sleep shortage, the same thing invariably happens again.

The transition to waking up is hard, too. On my weekends, when I'm undisturbed, I'll sleep 10-12 hours, and probably would more, except at that point I start waking up periodically, glancing at the clock, and making a conscious decision to go down for another round of sleep (usually another 1-3 hours) or wake up. Eventually, I get to the point where I feel so guilty continuing to stay in bed that I force myself up by sheer will, though I usually then spend the rest of the afternoon/evening groggy and just looking forward to bed again (although of course, as soon as my head hits the pillow, my brain lights up and leaves me unable to fall asleep). Not sure how much of that is natural or how much is just "catching up." I do think I would be better served on an Earth that rotated slower, since my natural circadian rhythms seem to make for a 34-hour day (20 hours awake and 12 hours asleep). It needs to be a perfect storm for me to fall asleep: dark, cool, and quiet with some kind of droning noise, like a fan, masking the transient sounds. I often fall asleep to music, which is kind of a double-edged sword: if I'm awake enough, I just find myself singing along or analyzing the arrangement, but eventually it gets to the point where it's just a quiet mask of other, more interesting transient sounds.

I'm kind of on-call, so I have to leave my phone's ringer on. The ringer will wake me up, but I'll sleep through the constant barrage of email and text message dings (unless they happen right as I'm falling asleep, in which case I HAVE to pick my phone up and read the text message/email, even though it's most likely a tweet about a new blog post or a random newsletter I never read).

A couple caveats: I work evenings, and if I could get 8 hours of sleep, it would be 7am-3pm (I start work at 4). I'm also not in the best physical shape, so there may be some lethargy in there from that. I'm usually in better shape in the summer when I do a fair bit of hiking (which I do after getting off work from 2am to 6am--one big benefit of the Alaskan summer), and I have maybe a touch less problem falling asleep after a good, strenuous, four-hour hike and waking up on the other end.

As far as dreams go, I can get pretty epic. Also run the gamut of weird sleep phenomena -- Lucid dreaming, sleep paralysis, hypnpompic/hypnagogic hallucinations, "out of body" sensations, so on. My favorites are the truly large-scale epic dreams I'll have... It's almost like a dream that takes up years. My brain will create a backstory of experience for my 'dream character' and everything. Sort of like entire other lifetimes.
I've had the "epic dream" syndrome before. I'm envious of you being able to lucid dream--I've always wanted to cultivate that ability in myself, but--well, that's one of those projects I'd like to start someday but haven't gotten around to really working on. :wink:

Researchers say you dream every night; I don't doubt that, but I only remember my dreams maybe once every other week.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Back before I had my driver's license, I spent a lot of time on buses and trains. I usually just slept through the entire trip until a minute or two before my stop. I have spent a couple of days awake in a row; it's not something I enjoy, though - I get pretty cranky if I have to start thinking by the end of a long wake.
I love books, and I've seen my share of sunrises from the wrong side due to the stupid writers making their books too good to put down. Otherwise I love sleeping too. 8 hours a day take me a long time, but down to 5-6 hours is OK even for extended periods if I get one night a week of proper sleep - 10 hours or so.

I am exactly like that i can sleep anywhere and everywhere no matter the circumstances my dreams are kinda there and kinda not there vague in the memory but they stay with me you know they follow me i remember bits and pieces that come up and actually i sometimes have prophetic dreams and some of my phrophetic dreams leave me with quite a bit of Deja-Vu the days and weeks to come

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
fell asleep in the dentist chair once.

Reactions: ontic and madhatter
41 - 49 of 49 Posts