Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, do other INFPs find it more comforting and easier to fall asleep when there is some sort of repeated noise. or someone else in the same room/house/apartment who is awake. I'm not talking about super loud noises, but just maybe the sound of a TV on low volume, or a conversation you can hear just enough to know who is talking but not catch many words. I have to sleep with my window open because I just find it comforting to hear everything that goes on outside, cars, people, occasional sirens, some honks and clatters in distance. It helps me leave my mind and focus on the life around me I guess. I get anxious when I try and fall asleep and it's dead silent, dark, and no one is awake or around. Not out of fear, but my mind just keeps thinking about things in my own mind and there is no outlet I can lay my mind on so it won't interupt me when I try and sleep.

I think this might be more of an environmental thing though...

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Well, I do go to sleep with my window open... but I live in the country. The noises I hear are usually wild animals or tractors if its early in the morning. I can fall asleep with quite noise around me, but I am better with dead silence. Once I am asleep noise isn't usually a bother though. I have tried going to sleep with music quietly playing in the background, but I find myself slipping into my daydream state instead, and my mind isn't able to take a chill pill and go to sleep.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Yeah I can't sleep with dead silence either. I usually keep my window open.

And I find it hard to sleep whenever I'm not next to my SO - her breathing really calms me down.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I can't sleep without a constant sound. My window is usually closed though, it would stop me from falling asleep if I heard a sudden noise like a car driving by or someone talking.

When I was younger, I kept the radio on but I think it didn't help my insomnia much. Now, I have to sleep with my fan on or else I jump at every tiny noise I hear around the house.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I sleep with a fan on medium to high blasting over me - because I can't sleep with stagnant air, i need it moving over me cause I get really hot.

I sleep with the tv on with just barely audible volume, but enough to know it's there to listen to.

and then a giant , loud air filter that sounds like a jet engine taking off that has become the ultimate white noise for me...

so no. I don't sleep well without at least a decently loud fan.

·
Registered
602 Posts
if im sleeping night time then i normally prefer silence and darkness.

if im just taking a nap in the afternoon (like i normally do lol, im always sleepy), then i like to have some kind of noise, ether music playing low or tv on soft mute. even the lawn mowers outside or leaf blowers. its a comforting repetitive noise, also not complete darkness, dim light is good

·
Registered
29 Posts
I like hearing the breeze or something. Any amount of light really messes me up though. I can't nap during the day for that reason.

Reactions: Darkestblue

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
Thinker96, I'm pretty much the same way. If it's before 11PM, I like a little bit of noise, usually a TV. After 11PM, I prefer silence. I hate white noise like a fan or a mechanical hum; I need some variation to it. But the rain is brilliant to fall asleep to! Also, I dislike falling asleep at night while other people are awake. Too many years of being the one up last, I guess.

I have a bit of a discomfort/fear of the dark, so I almost always have a small light on at night :blushed:

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
A constant noise is comforting to fall asleep to. I use a fan all year round to go to sleep because I like the feel and the constant sound of it. Complete silence is somewhat off putting for me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes, have to have the background noise all the time. Well nyquil helps to, lol.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not at all! I am so easily disturbed by sound, and since I live in the city, I use earplugs. However, on certain days when I have a lot on my mind or am not very tired but trying to be responsible and go to bed early, I have a mellow/sleep music mix to listen to to help quiet my racing thoughts. Repeating noises especially bothered me as a kid - clocks, the a/c, breathing...

·
Registered
815 Posts
I use a fan, I enjoy the sound it produces and it helps me sleep. If I am in an urban area however the sound of passing cars is usually sufficient.

·
Registered
161 Posts
This is riduclous, you all explain small psychological kinks of mine. What the fuck?

I'm saying this in a good way, even though it sounds odd.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts