Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think about it...we waste 8 hours each 24 hour day LYING MOTIONLESS DOING NOTHING. Our bodies are completely inefficient. If we try to get by on less, we eventually suffer ills.

What if there could be a 30-minute sleep compressor? That would be great...squish all the processes/benefits of the standard 8 hours of sleep into a 30 minute super session. Maybe using brain wave activities along with metabolic enhancers. :wink:

Imagine how much more productive everyone would be, if we could eliminate this enormous time waster.

Anyone know of a way to get by on less sleep with no adverse effects? I'm sick of requiring so much sleep in order to function.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Everything I've found on Google really only tells you how to sleep better so that you may have to spend less time in bed...For the most part...

If you really want to find a way to compress the healthy 8 hours of sleep into a 30 minute sleep, you have to look at why people need sleep and what happens when you sleep.

Why do we need so much sleep? - Technology & science - Science - Mysteries of the Universe - msnbc.com
Why We Need to Sleep

I'm so gonna find a way to make it to where we need less sleep :cool:

·
Registered
267 Posts
that's like saying "is charging your battery a waste of time?"

it's inescapable, no matter how great apple makes the macbook battery it still needs to be charged so it will run.

it's unfortunate really

red bull and coffee time! caffeine keeps you up like a bitch but it's terrible for you in so many ways.

Reactions: StandardLawyer

·
Registered
26,827 Posts
I would love to only need 30 minutes of sleep, but unfortunately it's one of those many reminders of our animal selves.

One pro would be people wouldn't worry so much about lifespans, as we would be able to get more done in a day. One con would be that we would probably have much longer work days.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
You could try polyphasic sleep, although you'll be pretty useless during the ten transition days. You'll probably have to tweak it a bit if you're a student or normal employee though. I got by on five hours of sleep per night last year by divvying it up.

It works by maximizing the all-important REM sleep for sifting through information in the brain and minimizes non-REM sleep. And you could always find ways to improve your sleep quality, like getting a suitable mattress, having a set routine, balanced nutrition, exercise, avoiding caffeine before bed, etc... Most of it is common sense.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Yikes. I don't mind sleeping at all. If I had so many things going on that I could only "afford" like 4-5 hours of sleep, I would go insane.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
Think about it...we waste 8 hours each 24 hour day LYING MOTIONLESS DOING NOTHING.
We are dreaming and relaxing. If we didn't dream, our minds during the day would be so bombarded with our subconscious we would all be vegetables. It is very healthy to dream and sleep. Can't be awake all the time! A good sleep feels very good.:happy:

·
11,928 Posts
It's necessary, but what if in the future there would be a way to get the benefits of sleep and to get what you need from sleep, but in a shorter amount of time?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
As someone who has long suffered from insomnia I wish there were a pill to take that would provide the restorative equivalent of 8 hours of sleep. Or a sure-fire method of attaining a restful and nightmare-free amount of sleep without side effects. Sometimes the unconscious state is the only way I can recuperate from reality for a while.

However sleep is a necessity for the time being and has been shown to be integral for mind and body development-

Brain's energy restored during sleep, suggests animal study

Memory links to 40 winks

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have 2 full-time jobs, and I'm a double-major Accounting/Finance university student...and I also perform during weekends and/or evenings. Down with sleep!

However, good point about the longer work days...I could see companies providing employees the gadgets... like Blackberries.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why not try lucid dreaming? Then you would feel as if your sleep was more productive.
What's the point of "feeling" more productive if you're not productive at all? o_O What does lucid dreaming accomplish? That reminds me of foamy soap...the foam itself doesn't actually clean (or even indicate cleansing), but they make people FEEL like the soap is cleaning better. Makes no real sense. That is, except to the producers (profit).

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
It's necessary, but what if in the future there would be a way to get the benefits of sleep and to get what you need from sleep, but in a shorter amount of time?
Well, if you must know, haha... Meditation & yoga can dramatically help improve the quality of your sleep, so to speak, so that when you wake up you need less and can focus better. When it comes to meditation, as little as 5 minutes before bed, 5 in the morning can help. Also -- I love this one, helps mucho -- much of your bodily tension comes from the tension in your face. Your body models its tension off of your face -- for example, Olympic trainers often train swimmers to relax their faces so their bodies are more fluid in the water. But it helps with sleep as well. A method is used, similar but simple, and it is also used in acting schools. In my experience, after a few minutes (I do it while listening to ambient/soft music), it can turn a stressful day into a sleep-like-a-baby night!

If you are interested in trying it, here is a link as to how: How to Have Presence

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think a dream can be quite productive. I sometimes have great ideas that come out of my dreams, or feel as if I've had a really fun experience (in which case, if you have a memory of a fun experience, does it matter whether it really happened or if it was just in a dream?)

Speaking of which, I really should go to bed. It's 3am here and my sleep patterns are really messed up.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Absolutely disagree. Sleeping is wonderful.

I'm a severe insomniac who is dependent on sleeping pills that have annoying side effects. It sucks. Nights where I can actually manage a solid five or six hours of sleep I feel AMAZING in the morning. :)

I think if you sleep consistently, even if you get less total sleep, you'll be less tired during the day. As in going to bed at the same time every night and waking up at the same time every morning. It's when your body gets all whacked out that you screw yourself up.

·
11,928 Posts
Well, if you must know, haha... Meditation & yoga can dramatically help improve the quality of your sleep, so to speak, so that when you wake up you need less and can focus better. When it comes to meditation, as little as 5 minutes before bed, 5 in the morning can help. Also -- I love this one, helps mucho -- much of your bodily tension comes from the tension in your face. Your body models its tension off of your face -- for example, Olympic trainers often train swimmers to relax their faces so their bodies are more fluid in the water. But it helps with sleep as well. A method is used, similar but simple, and it is also used in acting schools. In my experience, after a few minutes (I do it while listening to ambient/soft music), it can turn a stressful day into a sleep-like-a-baby night!

If you are interested in trying it, here is a link as to how: How to Have Presence
I should probably try that, but I meant in a more drastic way. It would take a lot to be able to drastically reduce the amount of sleep a human needs. But if may be possible in the future :D
The only thing about that is that it would mean a huge change considering how society is set up...

Reactions: xezene

·
Registered
652 Posts
Think about it...we waste 8 hours each 24 hour day LYING MOTIONLESS DOING NOTHING. Our bodies are completely inefficient. If we try to get by on less, we eventually suffer ills.

Imagine how much more productive everyone would be, if we could eliminate this enormous time waster.

Anyone know of a way to get by on less sleep with no adverse effects? I'm sick of requiring so much sleep in order to function.
i believe that rather than wasting 8 hours a day on sleep we are actually prolonging our life, and probably for longer than we are 'wasting' on sleep - rats normally live two to three years, but if rats are totally deprived of sleep, they only live about five weeks.

mrs thatcher exprimeminister of UK boasted she got by on five hours a day and still ran the country on that

i think i have read that if you take a short power nap in the middle of the afternoon you can get by on considerably less sleep in the night time ie 30 mins power nap = 1 hours less night sleep plus more productivity in the afternoon than otherwise achieved - perhaps you could try this and report back to us but you might want to research it more thoroughly first?

this link
is interesting
10 Benefits of Power Napping, and How to Do It | Ririan Project

1 - 20 of 33 Posts