Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright this is gonna sound stupid but i need to know how long i should sleep for so my mind can stay active. What i mean by this is i usually get a minimal of 6 hours of sleep so I'm not tired in the morning but i wake up and i have trouble thinking/doing. Like if there is say a cloud in my head and as information passes through that cloud only parts come out say like 50% and then i will have to rethink or say my thoughts so i can fully abosrb the idea.

I dont want to go to bed too early as i have lots of stuff i wanna do but i dont want to be too late either. i want a good time. I need to wake up at 7am so please tell me a good time to sleep.

I am a 17 year old, Grade 12 High school student if this helps you.

Also if you can tell me a minimal amount of water i should be drinking as well over a period of time this will help also.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
You are young. Aim for 8-9 hours of sleep. If your body wakes up well before this amount of hours don't force it. Go to sleep when you are tired and wake up when your body wakes up. The trick is to go to sleep early enough to still manage to get up before 7am. This may take some testing.

Do not eat anything for 2-4 hours before you sleep or you will fail to achieve deep sleep and you will not feel rested.
Try to exercise vigorously for at least 30 minutes every day - this will cause you to sleep easier and deeper.
You also want to have a diet that keeps your blood sugar low which means you should avoid refined carbohydrates such as white bread, sugar, glucose syrup, too much fruit (more than 2 a day is excess).

If you can manage it, sleeping early and waking up in the early hours is the perfect time to study or learn - nothing is distracting you except yourself. If you have the will and discipline to follow your calendar or whatever other structure you have, morning time will be valuable to your growth in terms of knowledge.

Any questions, let me know.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Discipline is key right? If i keep to this it will get more and more easy to follow to the point its almost instinctive right?

Does drinking water stop you from deep sleep also?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discipline is key right? If i keep to this it will get more and more easy to follow to the point its almost instinctive right?

Don't drink much before sleep. You will have to go to bathroom and your sleep will be delayed. Also, it can also be shortened if you drink, but don't let the water out (I don't know about the 'depth', though). I violate many of Vasili's tips; I'll probably try following them too. I drink much water to keep the blood clean (and its content more stable), because I exercise at night, have weird diet and eating schedule... I know how this breaks sleep schedule first-hand.

Exercise makes me require more sleep, I've noticed.

·
Banned
554 Posts
wow, i get at most 5 hours, sometimes 3. i take many naps throughout my day to make up for it.
i would correct my sleeping pattern but i get too invested in research, reading and other activities that when i realize my tiredness it dissipates entirely!

you should be getting around 8 hours of sleep. for your age.
someone mentioned exercise, that definitely helps.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts

A combination of discipline and your own ideas. You should seek to improve the systems you have in place in whatever way suits your natural disposition.

It will get easier. Achievements are incremental not spontaneous. As an example I study math, programming and an IT diploma every day. I spend exactly 30 minutes on each. While I am studying I do not do anything else apart from understanding what I am studying. I repeat this the next day. In one year's time I will be much more skilled in these areas.

In terms of drinking before sleep you may drink as much as you like as long as you do not get bloated or it does not cause your digestive system to have to work hard. I'm pretty sure that water doesn't take longer than 10 minutes to digest but I don't actually have any information on the topic.

I thought this was relevant to link:
Digestion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
4pints of water. Water not coffee or sugar drinks or milk. Water.

Excersise. Plenty of it. More makes body tired.

You are young, plenty of time to learn, even if it doesn't feel like it. So try and quiet the mind well before sleep. A wind down phase to the end of the day.

That assuming you want to sleep iall in one go. Sleeping the night through is only a relatively new phenomenon. We used to wake during the night and then have a second sleep, this still occurs in some cultures.

Polyphasic sleep if you really want to.

Much fun, even more discipline though!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sleep is nice. Avoid caffeine (tea, coffee, those good stuff), obviously. I think by the time I realized that tea had caffeine in it, I already became immune so I sleep just fine after a cup of hot tea.

I would say - yea, sleep for 8-9 hours since you are still growing. Not only does it let your brain refresh itself over night, it lowers the risk of anything to do with bad health. If anything - don't do anything in bed. If you need help getting to sleep, by god, I can swear by counting sheep.

That said, I sleep about 4-5 hours a night on a normal basis because I get up in the morning to do yoga (oh, yoga is good too - you can get really tired out with that depending on intensity) or taichi and then on the weekends, I don't even have a limit.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Wait-wait-wait...
You Sleep?!?

·
Registered
120 Posts
@Vasili_Syrakis gave you excellent instructions. If you want your body to function normal, you need enough sleep hours. Now I can't have 8-9 hours, but I try to have at least 7. A lot of water is needed not only for the sleep, but for the normal functioning of your body. Just don't overdo it too much, because too much water can have negative side effects too. You might want to drink some teas too (but the normal stuff, not the sweetened ones) - like green tea, Roiboos etc.

Eating before going to bed will cause your stomach to work and process food, so falling in asleep will be even more difficult, not to mention that the food won't be processed efficiently by the organism. And the basic idea of eating is after all to provide the organism with some useful nutrients.

As for low blood sugar and low level of insulin - that's true too. There are some neurotransmitters in your brain that regulate your appetite and sleep. One of them is the so called serotonin. Now, he needs tryptophan for its synthesis. If it's too low you might have insomnia. In order to increase it, you need to eat food that contains tryptophan and not so much refined carbohydrates, because increased insulin stops the synthesis of serotonin and its transportation from the blood strain to the brain. The same goes for the other neurotransmitter responsible for appetite and sleep - dopamin. You need to keep those two in good balance and part of the idea is to have regular sleep hours in approximately the same time of the night.

And regular sleep is important. We think that we can sleep whenever we want, but in reality it's not like that. It's not only about the summed hours, but also the time. We need to go into deep dream phase (where actually our brain rests and relax) and that happens after long phases of REM and dreaming, so 3 naps of 3 hours is not the same like 8-9 hours at once.

http://personalitycafe.com/members/vasili-syrakis.html

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Alright i have another stupid question here that i probably know the awnser to but ill feel much better if i have someone else confirm it.

For the past month and a half i have been going to the gym to lose weight. Now in this process i started to eat much less (Currently all i eat per day is 2-3 eggs and 2-3 peaces of bacon at break feast and dinner at the end of the day) and i was wondering if eating this little would affect my thinking. Since 2pm Qld time to 8:40pm Qld time i have been getting this headache that was making me more aggressive then normal. On top of that i had thinking and doing problems (I would have an idea in my head that i would go read one of my books. After 30 seconds of reading the pain would increase to the point i had to put down the book) and after that anything that related to learning annoyed and frustrated me. So i just had dinner and the pain went away now what i want to know specifically is how much can i eat minimal so i can think good but i want to keep losing weight.

MuscleTech Hydroxycut Hardcore Pro Series - MRSUPPLEMENT
I am taking these pills also to speed up my weight loss and they have been working. But still need to know the minimal or good amount i need to eat since i don't want to indulge myself with food. Which foods should i eat also.

Also i will stop taking the pills after i lose the gut/love handles and at this rate i predict that will take 1-3 months at best.

EDIT: Could this also be from malnutrition?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Alright i have another stupid question here that i probably know the awnser to but ill feel much better if i have someone else confirm it.

For the past month and a half i have been going to the gym to lose weight. Now in this process i started to eat much less (Currently all i eat per day is 2-3 eggs and 2-3 peaces of bacon at break feast and dinner at the end of the day) and i was wondering if eating this little would affect my thinking. Since 2pm Qld time to 8:40pm Qld time i have been getting this headache that was making me more aggressive then normal. On top of that i had thinking and doing problems (I would have an idea in my head that i would go read one of my books. After 30 seconds of reading the pain would increase to the point i had to put down the book) and after that anything that related to learning annoyed and frustrated me. So i just had dinner and the pain went away now what i want to know specifically is how much can i eat minimal so i can think good but i want to keep losing weight.

MuscleTech Hydroxycut Hardcore Pro Series - MRSUPPLEMENT
I am taking these pills also to speed up my weight loss and they have been working. But still need to know the minimal or good amount i need to eat since i don't want to indulge myself with food. Which foods should i eat also.

Also i will stop taking the pills after i lose the gut/love handles and at this rate i predict that will take 1-3 months at best.
You are beginning to give me a headache young sir.

The amount of food you are eating is not enough.
To give you an idea, I eat almost 3000 calories a day. I have a big breakfast of oatbran, milk and honey.
For lunch I have rye bread or pearl barley with chicken or tuna (at least 200g of either) and vegetables like spinach, broccoli and anything colourful like carrots, red cabbage, capsicum, whatever I feel like. I will usually have snacks consisting of organic yoghurt (greek style) or some almonds/cashews/walnuts.
In the evening I will eat tuna again with vegetables. Before I go to sleep I might have some low fat cottage cheese or soy milk. Throughout the day I will drink anywhere from 2.5 - 4 litres of water.
I go to gym 5 sometimes 6 times a week and spend an hour each time which equates to around 3.5% of my total time for the week - not such a big deal considering sleep takes 33%.

If you want to eat properly see the following information:
Food guide pyramid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The pain you are experiencing could be because your brain does not have enough energy.
Starving yourself (that's what you're doing) will not enable you to lose weight - Your body will start stockpiling fat in order to survive. You don't want that.
Stop buying the supplements you are taking - in fact - throw them out right now. Supplements are for professional athletes. You are way better off eating a normal diet.
Losing your gut and love handles might take longer than 3 months, are you prepared for that to occur?

If you want to lose weight do the following:
1 Follow the Food Pyramid
1.1 When eating grains, bread and rice ALWAYS opt for whole foods like Brown rice, Rye or Wholemeal bread and Whole grains like All-Bran or Oatbran/Rolled Oats with HONEY if you need a sweetener NOT sugar.
1.2 I can't stress enough how much you should completely, totally and 100% avoid all processed foods. Refined sugar, glucose syrup, softdrinks, packaged foods - it is all shit and will make you gain weight quickly.
1.3 Eating things that are a singular ingredient, they are not 'made up' of other things, such as vegetables, plants, seeds, beans, fruit, grains, meat, fish, eggs - these are all good - eat as much green vegetables as you want.

2. Lift weights.
2.1 Here is some information that you may find useful: » How to Build Muscle and Lose Fat :zenhabits
2.2 Compound lifts such as Deadlifts, Squats, Chinups, Dips, Bench Press, Military Press and Clean&Press are all good for smashing most of your body's muscles.
2.3 Doing weights and eating normally over a long period of time will get rid of a lot of fat

I think that's all you need to know for now.

Any questions let me know.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just one thing from me, because the post above me is detailed enough.

You should know that in most cases there is a reason why you need to loose weight. In small percentage that reason is some disease. In most cases however the reason is improper eating or life style. Most people decide to follow some diet, loose some weight and then they come back to the same old life style. This won't work! You have to change it, so that you can loose weight and maintain it. Otherwise the whole process is pointless.

Also the popular opinion that by skipping lunch, breakfast or dinner is working is bullshit. You don't want to slower your metabolism and teach your organism that eating 2-3 eggs and bacon is all it needs. In the end, you'll be sick and everything additional you eat will cause weight gain. That's not the appropriate approach. You need to eat regularly. I usually prefer breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack and dinner. And drinking a lot of water - it's important for loosing weight too.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Already lifting weights. I go to gym with a (funny this actually) Esfp friend who helps me push myself there. So i do 1 hour of weight lifting 5 times a week (mon-fri).

I am prepared to follow that pyrimid but those pills have really been working. I lost a fair bit of weight and i didnt have to go to the extreme. But after i run out of them i will follow this pyrimid. Bloody expensive things. After i lose the bulk of my weight i dont see the need to spend so much to get rid of the excess.

Also i wasn't planning to starve myself i already know that it makes more negative then positive results. Really i just didn't notice as i never appeared hungry at lunchtime.

But thanks for this advice. As soon as those pills run out I'm gonna apply this.

Also sorry for the headache. I had no where else to go for my questions as i am surrounded by idiots in my life.

I will leave you with a question. If say i cant eat these all these foods because i cant financially afford them all could i take some kind of vitemin pill to make up for this.
Home | Centrum®
Like these. If its a bad idea i wont.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Already lifting weights. I go to gym with a (funny this actually) Esfp friend who helps me push myself there. So i do 1 hour of weight lifting 5 times a week (mon-fri).

I am prepared to follow that pyrimid but those pills have really been working. I lost a fair bit of weight and i didnt have to go to the extreme. But after i run out of them i will follow this pyrimid. Bloody expensive things. After i lose the bulk of my weight i dont see the need to spend so much to get rid of the excess.

Also i wasn't planning to starve myself i already know that it makes more negative then positive results. Really i just didn't notice as i never appeared hungry at lunchtime.

But thanks for this advice. As soon as those pills run out I'm gonna apply this.

Also sorry for the headache. I had no where else to go for my questions as i am surrounded by idiots in my life.

I will leave you with a question. If say i cant eat these all these foods because i cant financially afford them all could i take some kind of vitemin pill to make up for this.
Home | Centrum®
Like these. If its a bad idea i wont.
I'm not sure if you could not afford them.

I buy a bag of no-name brand rolled oats (0.9kg) for $1.20
A bag of spinach is roughly $3... About $15 a week
Broccoli.. about $4 a kilo or something.
Brown rice or pearly barley is cheap. $2-4 for a kilogram
Apples are cheap... roughly $6 a kilo and that's a lot of apples.
Tuna is $20 a kilo but if you get it on special it can be around $10-12 a kilo
Chicken can be around $10 a kilo.

You live in the same country as me so I'm pretty sure these are the prices.

I used to take a multi every day. I chucked it away. My advice - don't take it unless your doctor tells you to. My doc told me to take Vitamin D... I took that. If he told me to take a multi i would... But the reality is that I have a good diet and I am clean and have almost perfect cholesterol etc.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright sounds good. Im gonna start applying this to my life straight away. Expect i will use those pills until the bottle is empty then no more. By the time i used them all i would of lost a huge chunk of weight and i dont see the point of keeping that pace if i gota pay $120+ per bottle.

Sorry that i said i could not afford all that. That chart gave me the wrong impression them. 2-5 serving of veggies and fruit. 6-11 of bread and pasta. Seemed so much at the time and i had the wrong idea in my head.

·
Administrator
INTJ - ILI - 8w9 - Libtard
22,602 Posts
Latest studies find that anywhere between 4 to 7 hours is considered healthy. However, taking into account that you are a teen there is all that mylenation happening in your brain. It's rapid growing neural pathways aplenty. I wouldn't be concerned too much about the amount but the quality.

Exercise and diet are very important. During teenage years new types of reactions to junk food might occur with the amount of preservatives and colours in foods. It's common for childhood allergies to disappear or new allergies (even to people who've never had them) to develop from hormonal changes.

Try to burn off energy when you get stressed. It will help you sleep better.

Edit: I added the food and allergy because it's all part and parcel of allergy to get a brain fog when you are eating something you are allergic to. It can sometimes even cause symptoms of mental illness such as anxiety, depression, bipolar and ADHD.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Alright sounds good. Im gonna start applying this to my life straight away. Expect i will use those pills until the bottle is empty then no more. By the time i used them all i would of lost a huge chunk of weight and i dont see the point of keeping that pace if i gota pay $120+ per bottle.

Sorry that i said i could not afford all that. That chart gave me the wrong impression them. 2-5 serving of veggies and fruit. 6-11 of bread and pasta. Seemed so much at the time and i had the wrong idea in my head.
Just so you know... Pills like Hydroxycut contain a whole lot of caffeine to stimulate the fat burning and most likely cause sleep issues if you are taking coffee on top of that. Coffee is a diuretic and you might want to counter that with more water lest you dehydrate yourself. Also note: most diet pills will use guarana which actually is natural caffeine -so stay away if you don't want to mess up your sleep

There's no easy way to weight loss as stated above - you might want to consider certain cardio exercises. Also, muscles weigh more than normal body fat so if your primary goal is to lose weight, lifting weights might not be the way to go - jogging or some really high intensity cardio would work.

Multi vits are not a replacement for fruit and vegetables - they are meant as dietary supplements. I take them on a daily basis but it's because I have a relatively crazy work life going on right now and need something to keep me more resilient against colds and all even with the healthy diet going.

You should also check out what kind of bread and pasta you want to take - White bread is often high in gluten and starch etc etc. I'm a fan of making cous cous as a replacement for a staple carbohydrate source due to the nutrients and all.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
As a light weight high performance athlete that has to maintain a body weight of 72.5kg.

I suggest these.

Do not eat after 8pm
Wait one 1 hr after eating to sleep.
Drink lots of water
Take 2-6 Calcium Magnesium pills
Min. amount of sleep is 3 hrs
If you are having trouble to fall asleep, think of a black void and breath deeply.

For me, a standing in the shower for 20-30min under hot water helps.
Warm milk helps to, but that kinda goes against eating 1 hr before sleep. but it works.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just so you know... Pills like Hydroxycut contain a whole lot of caffeine to stimulate the fat burning and most likely cause sleep issues if you are taking coffee on top of that. Coffee is a diuretic and you might want to counter that with more water lest you dehydrate yourself. Also note: most diet pills will use guarana which actually is natural caffeine -so stay away if you don't want to mess up your sleep

There's no easy way to weight loss as stated above - you might want to consider certain cardio exercises. Also, muscles weigh more than normal body fat so if your primary goal is to lose weight, lifting weights might not be the way to go - jogging or some really high intensity cardio would work.

Multi vits are not a replacement for fruit and vegetables - they are meant as dietary supplements. I take them on a daily basis but it's because I have a relatively crazy work life going on right now and need something to keep me more resilient against colds and all even with the healthy diet going.

You should also check out what kind of bread and pasta you want to take - White bread is often high in gluten and starch etc etc. I'm a fan of making cous cous as a replacement for a staple carbohydrate source due to the nutrients and all.
Yeah those pills are fucking with my sleeping patterns big now. Unless i get the chance to go to the gym i can never sleep the night. Every last night i didnt go to gym while on those pills i could not enter "Deep/REM". Seriously i close my eyes and i feel tired. And then i wake up afterwards with nothin inbetween. I cant go to the gym every day due to those that i have work shifts on and that is usually 2-3 times a week.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts