Personality Cafe banner

Sleeping in a bundle/mattress of straw is healthier than being on a mattress?

612 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  intjonn 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
Is this another know-it all chiro?
Physiotherapists say the best sleeping position for neutral spine is on the side, with slightly bent knees and a pillow between them. As someone who has back issues I do find that to be true, the spine gets perfectly aligned and there are no pressures on it. Perhaps for regular people sleeping on their back is okay too and if you google for medical opinions you find that both sleeping positions are recommended depending on your personal needs. For me sleeping on my back is not ideal for my lower back but it works nice for my neck.
Also there are many types of mattresses, super soft mattresses are horrible for the spine, I prefer a medium. Hard surfaces are just as bad for me. I would only sleep on the floor if I had a futon

#3 ·
I found this study a while ago and I think it's pretty interesting to see how most modern sleeping and resting positions are so different than the natural sleeping/resting positions adopted by those without mattresses and chairs. Apparently, those that use natural positions suffer from less back problems, although the evidence is only anecdotal.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1119282/

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.