Personality Cafe banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I used to sleep on the floor for years.

You don't really need a pillow, but it helps if you like to sleep on anything but your back.
Yeah I heard somewhere that pillows are actually bad for you when you sleep on your back. Don't ask me where I read it but it was pretty interesting.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I agree. That's why I said "Anything other than your back". For example, sleeping on your side with your arm/shoulder trying to support your head will leave you with a sore neck and/or shoulder if you do it wrong. In that case, a pillow helps. I have broad shoulders and like to fall asleep on my sides, so a pillow helps.

Reactions: Blazy

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yeah I had the same idea at one point. You can never know when you'd be forced to sleep on the floor, ground etc..

It has been more then a month and I was forced to relocate into bed for 2 consecutive days, but overall I like the floor and will continue to sleep there.

Maybe its just me and I'm odd, I'm doing convict conditioning and learning krav maga, I consider wilderness survival skills important and like to be prepared, general repair skills, foreign languages and so on :p.
i'm unsure if i could agree with you more or not :) i sometimes crash in my bed. normally for a good reason, but occasionally just because i feel like it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm reading this thread thinking wow.

I like to sleep in a giant comfy bed with lots of pillows, thank you :p

that said I have on an odd occasion woke up with random neck pain, not sure why. maybe because too high pillows.

·
Registered
785 Posts
All pillows are too high when sleeping flat on the ground. There must be a floor sleeper pillow somewhere.

·
Ace of Spades
7w6 4w3 1w9 sp/so; Ni/Ne/Te-dom
3,252 Posts
Would this work if one sleeps on their side? I camp a lot and I sleep on my side. Even after one night, my hips hurt A LOT. Is this something that goes away with time or best done on your back? (General question to anyone with experience).

·
Registered
INFP 648 sx/sp
2,937 Posts
Would this work if one sleeps on their side? I camp a lot and I sleep on my side. Even after one night, my hips hurt A LOT. Is this something that goes away with time or best done on your back? (General question to anyone with experience).
I've slept for years curled up on my side and whenever falling asleep on a solid surface (cement and wood floors, school desks) it's always been quite painful in whichever hip is in contact with the ground, and generally uncomfortable. The head can't be properly supported in that position either, unless you want a numb arm as well (or have a pillow, obviously).
I don't think you can apply the same advice to sleeping on your side, although I've heard plenty about how it works for sleeping on your back. I've never looked it up in detail though.
From my own experience I wouldn't recommend sleeping on your side on a hard surface, the support provided is very different and more uneven. Even with some padding, hip and for me shoulder pain is likely without some proper cushioning, i.e. a mattress.

·
Administrator
13,573 Posts
I think the biggest reason why I sleep on my side during camping is that I am cold. If you have enough insulation, then sleeping on your back is probably better. If you camp on the sand then it's not an issue because you can dig holes for your hips or whatever.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts