Personality Cafe banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Mastodon Hunter
8,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Going through my memories of how thoroughly they looked at stuff at MEPs (former navy), I don't remember them looking all that hard. They're generally looking for reasons to let you in, not to kick you out.

However, depending on the job you're looking at, there may or may not be waivers available (if you wanted to go entirely on the up and up). I'd probably go with @Doll's idea of saying it was from some kind of abuse you received if it came to that.

Now, after you get in, and you need to get a security clearance, be completely honest. They'll look, and they have a decent chance of finding. You probably won't not get a clearance based on what you've described (it'll just take longer), but you definitely won't if you say you didn't and they find out.
I wouldn't lie if directly challenged, but I wouldn't offer information about it unless asked.
I already told my recruiter I had those scars but they are old. Haven't heard back from him, but I did receive a call today from a Navy official wanting to ask some questions. I was at work so I'm calling back tomorrow.

The job I want requires TS so I don't wanna risk getting in with a lie only to be discharged after the investigation. Besides, how honorable is to serve your country under false pretenses? Not at all.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
The job I want requires TS so I don't wanna risk getting in with a lie only to be discharged after the investigation. Besides, how honorable is to serve your country under false pretenses? Not at all.
There are plenty of congressional medal of honor winners who lied about their age to get in, so I don't know if it's that cut and dried, but I understand that you want to do it right, which if you get in to the field you want (which is the best way to do the military), is going to require a clearance, is best to know now.

That said, here's a copy of the stuff that's normally waivable: Maintain Copies Of Your Medical Records, and the stuff that's not: Medical Conditions Normally Not Waiverable

The first comment in this thread identifies your condition explicitly: Medically Disqualifed at MEPS, Now What?

·
Mastodon Hunter
8,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
There are plenty of congressional medal of honor winners who lied about their age to get in, so I don't know if it's that cut and dried, but I understand that you want to do it right, which if you get in to the field you want (which is the best way to do the military), is going to require a clearance, is best to know now.

That said, here's a copy of the stuff that's normally waivable: Maintain Copies Of Your Medical Records, and the stuff that's not: Medical Conditions Normally Not Waiverable

The first comment in this thread identifies your condition explicitly: Medically Disqualifed at MEPS, Now What?
Thank you for those. I didn't see anything about self-mutilation, although I guess it would fall under the mental illnesses area. However, I have not been diagnosed with any mental illness listed there. I read the Army Regulation 40-501 and it said people with scars caused by self-mutilation were not fit to serve... It didn't say anything about time... I'm hoping the fact that it was 6 years ago and I've had no recurrences will help.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
It's the top comment, by navydoc to jennifer in the third link about being disqual'd:

Navydoc says:
February 14, 2013 at 11:12 am
Jennifer,
The Navy does not give a lot of waivers for either anaphylaxis or history of self mutilation. They may ask for allergy testing and/or psychiatric consults before making a determination.
So, there may actually be a waiver out there if you answer the questions they way they feel comfortable with.

·
Mastodon Hunter
8,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It's the top comment, by navydoc to jennifer in the third link about being disqual'd:

So, there may actually be a waiver out there if you answer the questions they way they feel comfortable with.
*sighs*

If they see it and ask, I'll just say they are scars from six years ago. Nothing else. It's obvious what it is, but maybe if I don't admit to it they will see all my other good qualities and give me a chance.... They'd be passing up on someone who would serve even for no money at all. I want to serve.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I want to join the Navy, but I have some self-inflicted scars on my thighs that are very noticeable. What are my chances of getting in? It was many years ago and they are fully healed, short and not deep. I have never been hospitalized or been to a psychologist, although I did go once to group therapy for a few weeks. I haven't mutilated since then and it was stupid and I know I am stable enough to be in there, but I fear the scares will PDQ me....

Any suggestions? How can I make them less visible?

I put this here because it has to do with my career.
you misspelled SELF

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
*sighs*

If they see it and ask, I'll just say they are scars from six years ago. Nothing else. It's obvious what it is, but maybe if I don't admit to it they will see all my other good qualities and give me a chance.... They'd be passing up on someone who would serve even for no money at all. I want to serve.
I think I read that more positively than you did. I saw it saying there's a number of those waivers greater than zero.

Of course, given my knowledge of recruiters, I wouldn't be surprised if the call was one where you'd be asked some loaded questions like "You weren't diagnosed with anything, were you?", or other such things that would allow them to take it off the sheet. They're a rather seedy lot. It could also be a shrink from the MEPs as well, but you'll find out tomorrow.

I like that you're manning up to it. It says lots of good things about you.

·
Mastodon Hunter
8,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
you misspelled SELF
You are dyslexic.

I think I read that more positively than you did. I saw it saying there's a number of those waivers greater than zero.

Of course, given my knowledge of recruiters, I wouldn't be surprised if the call was one where you'd be asked some loaded questions like "You weren't diagnosed with anything, were you?", or other such things that would allow them to take it off the sheet. They're a rather seedy lot. It could also be a shrink from the MEPs as well, but you'll find out tomorrow.

I like that you're manning up to it. It says lots of good things about you.
Hehe I guess ISFJs tend to be a bit negative and paranoid :p many people with worse self-scars have gotten in and MEPS didn't even notice. I worry a lot I guess and want things to go well. Thanks for all your info and the compliment :)

·
Registered
686 Posts
You are dyslexic.

Hehe I guess ISFJs tend to be a bit negative and paranoid :p many people with worse self-scars have gotten in and MEPS didn't even notice. I worry a lot I guess and want things to go well. Thanks for all your info and the compliment :)
Based on what evidence?!? I am freaking out over here :shocked:

·
Mastodon Hunter
8,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
yes you did, you said "Slef-mutilation"
Can somebody else testify to this?
Oh, I just saw it in the title. I thought you meant in the post. Is that all you had to add to this thread?

·
Registered
686 Posts
I would advice you to go through with it, maybe they will not have anything negative to say about it. Though I have no experience with the army. I would also recommend you to learn to love your person. I found this very helpful in my personal life. As I am a new dumped person in this world (as of a month), so I am slowly recovering from that wound.

·
Mastodon Hunter
8,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
UPDATE:

I told my recruiter about the scars. I called today to tell him I have some credits from a Junior College I attended in PR and he told me to get the transcript and go down to his office... he didn't mention anything about the scars... I hope this is a good sign!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Two of my good friends have these, but on their arms.
Makeup covers them up and disguises them most of the time. Also you will be wearing clothes most of the time, so that should help. In my years i have noticed that most people are scared of scars and will ignore them and not ask. You could always say 'I don't know' if pressed

21 - 36 of 36 Posts