Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shamelessly stolen from the INTJs. :tongue:

Where would you prefer to live? In the anonymity and convenience of a big city or in the isolated communities that you find in small towns?

I'm definitely a small town girl, I like the sense of community that's there when you want it and life just seems so much simpler than it does in the cities that I've lived in. I like being able to leave my door unlocked at night without a second though and I feel safe when stumbling home drunk on my own. I do miss being able to pop out at 4am to get cigarettes though.

So big city or small town?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Being such a technology geek you'd think I'd want to live in the city, but no, if I was to for example move to Japan, I'd be living in Kyoto not Tokyo. I want culture, history, beauty.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I like big cities, because in the big city you can just get lost in the crowd.

In small towns everybody knows each other, and everybody knows what you do. I live now in a relatively small city (200,000) and every time I go out I see someone I know and have to engage in meaningless social interaction.

In big cities there is more diversity, and people don't really know each other, you can re-invent yourself, and feed your need for novelty.

·
Registered
82 Posts
City. For the convenience of 24 hour shops and readily available drugs. There's also usually a more progressive attitude and you're choice of friends isn't restricted by distance.

Reactions: Rift

·
Registered
702 Posts
I live in a town with about 9000 or even less people, it sucks because you know everyone, and there aren't many interesting people here. Plus there's nothing to do on weekends except going to a bar or getting high somewhere, or doing both.

·
Banned
5,780 Posts
City. For the convenience of 24 hour shops and readily available drugs. There's also usually a more progressive attitude and you're choice of friends isn't restricted by distance.
Apparently you have never been to a small town before. Small towns suffer from the same issues of income disparity, and the effects of that are not different. Been living in a small town on the ass end of nowhere for 5 years, and the only difference is scale. Also, there's several places that are open 24/7. This is a town of about 22,000.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jesus, your small towns are quite big. The population hasn't even reached 4000 where I live, half of them are bloody relatives of mine as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Having lived in both...big cities are preferable by far. Being a night owl, it's nice to be able to go out past 9pm and have things be open. Also, like joellr said, the anonymity of the crowd is great. You can pretty much do whatever you want and wear whatever you want and have no one take a second look at you. Don't want folks in my bizness, yo.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
What? No option for underground fortress in a secluded forest?

I'd recommend small town. It's less of a distance to drive out to no-man's land at night to look at the stars in pure pitch-black night sky.

That is, if stargazing is your thing.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
i love small towns and hate big cities, i just wish they would have stores open for longer in the town i live in. then i would be in heaven

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would much rather live in a big city. I love skyscrapers. Given that cities contain a lot of people, it is far more likely that you will find your niche there. All of the great cultural institutions are found in cities. Museums, arts organizations, universities, and the like are found in big cities. And besides, I'm pretty much allergic to plants, so the concrete jungle is preferable to non-stop greenery for my health.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
That's more like living in a typical JRPG village.

Maybe one of my future kids would find some sword or hidden space ship, tag along with 4-5 of close friends and go on an adventure to save the world from impending doom!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Maybe one of my future kids would find some sword or hidden space ship, tag along with 4-5 of close friends and go on an adventure to save the world from impending doom!
Given that they would be at the beginning of the adventure, the sword would probably be made of wood, meaning it would only be useful for crushing bugs. Even a squirrel would deplete all of your HP and kill you.

A hidden space ship, that would be mega-awesome.

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
I can't deal with small towns.

In theory it's nice to be in a slow-paced, "relaxing" atmosphere.

In practice, having nowhere to go but a Walmart 30 minutes away or to see cows in fields is torturously boring to me.

I love cities, because everyone minds their own damn business. There's always so much to do that you hardly get to everything you plan to do.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
I enjoy nature a lot, but I also love big cities. I like the way some quaint small towns look, but I wouldn't want to live in one. I need a vacation cottage in a forest, near a stream, and an apartment in the city.

I absolutely fell in love with nyc. It felt both comfortable and stimulating.

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
I enjoy nature a lot, but I also love big cities. I like the way some quaint small towns look, but I wouldn't want to live in one. I need a vacation cottage in a forest, near a stream, and an apartment in the city.

I absolutely fell in love with nyc. It felt both comfortable and stimulating.
My brain likes to be "on" all the time. When it's not fully "on", it tends to slowly shut down. So, ironically, the faster pace and chaos of a city keeps me energetic, while the lack of activity around me slows me down where I'm living now.

When I lived in Brooklyn I was 1000 times busier than I am now, but I never once procrastinated or found it hard to get anything done.

Oh well, I'll be back in a city soon enough. :D

·
Banned
2,616 Posts
I'm just a small town girl, living in a lonely world.

Ive had enough of big cities, suburbs, and boomburbs to last me a few life times. Too many people, too little meaning, so much noise, uninspired cookie cut architecture, and little to no nature.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts