Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
6,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, it is likely that you have been duped, deceived and dumbfounded by my title, as there shan't be any actual cookies.

'Lulz' aside, I've been incredibly pessimistic about ENFPs and people as a whole.
For me, I'll be attending university next year. I want to know what I can hope to find in terms of the capacity of ENFPs.

[TL;DR]
Would you boast for me, ENFPs?
Would you 'wow' me with your intellectual achievements?
So that I may look forward to meeting an intellectual ENFP.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Unfortunately, it is likely that you have been duped, deceived and dumbfounded by my title, as there shan't be any actual cookies.

'Lulz' aside, I've been incredibly pessimistic about ENFPs and people as a whole.
For me, I'll be attending university next year. I want to know what I can hope to find in terms of the capacity of ENFPs.

[TL;DR]
Would you boast for me, ENFPs?
Would you 'wow' me with your intellectual achievements?
So that I may look forward to meeting an intellectual ENFP.
I was disappointed about the cookies, but I became excited about teh lulz.

I wrote a paper about the Quarto (Q) and Folio (F) versions of King Lear and how they differ, mainly trying to argue that Shakespeare revised from Q to F. The prevalent argument prior to Steve Urkowitz publishing his thesis The Revision of King Lear was that there was a "true" copy, and that either Q or F was corrupt. However, as I've found out (and as Urkowitz correctly points out), there's hardly any evidence for this. The common argument now is that, at some point, Shakespeare revised Lear from Q to F. Too many coincidences (F is better on stage; the cuts made that were previously argued for censorship improve the play as a whole; Shakespeare doesn't just spontaneously generate plays.) line up such that the "one true copy" argument hardly holds any ground.

That took a lot of research (I read upwards of 500 pages' worth of academic essays on the topic.), and I earned an A+ on that paper. In fact, my professor (Who is a textual critic and knows a ton about the publication history of Shakespeare's time.) was so impressed that he requested that I stay in contact with him over the summer so we can work on this paper and improve my knowledge of textual criticism. I just finished his book he gave me and an essay he wrote about licencing in the 1600s. It's all very fascinating! :D

Also, my ENFP friend and I have at-length discussions (often at Denny's!) that, in one sitting, usually span politics, history, philosophy, religion, sports, games, life, and many, many more fun things. We never get angry at each other, even though we poke fun all the time, and--I feel--we both gain a lot from our conversations together. Coincidentally, he is also considering a PhD, though he's looking to focus on Civil War Generals and not Textual Criticism. Fie on him!

tl;dr: ENFPs are awesome.

·
Banned
6,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was disappointed about the cookies, but I became excited about teh lulz.
Reaction: Standard ENFP, sounds pretty cool.

That took a lot of research (I read upwards of 500 pages' worth of academic essays on the topic.), and I earned an A+ on that paper.
Reaction

In fact, my professor (Who is a textual critic and knows a ton about the publication history of Shakespeare's time.) was so impressed that he requested that I stay in contact with him over the summer so we can work on this paper and improve my knowledge of textual criticism. I just finished his book he gave me and reading an essay he wrote about licencing in the 1600s. It's all very fascinating! :D

Discussions that... span politics, history, philosophy, religion, sports, games, life, and many, many more fun things.

Reaction

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Well I just graduated from a college to which I received the top academic scholarship. I majored in social work and double minored in Spanish and political science. I came in as a biology major, which I was doing well with, but I dropped that because it didn't interest me enough. I've been on the Dean's List every semester and am in the top academic honor societies. I taught myself to read when I was 3 years old. I graduated 4th in my class in high school (and only because being in the top auditioned band was not weighted like the other honors classes, so my GPA was brought down). I graduated magna cum laude from college, and it would have easily been summa cum laude if I had cared enough to study. I've recently done extensive research on homeless youth, particularly those who are pregnant or parenting. I conducted research on the topic looking more specifically at effects of interventions on these youth (I found statistically significant results that they often respond more readily than non-pregnant/parenting homeless youth to the interventions of the agency I worked with, if you were wondering), and wrote a length and in-depth paper about it. Got an A. A few of the analyses I've written on works of Latin American fiction (in Spanish) have gone on to conferences and displays of undergraduate research, upon professors' requests. I know my grammar and sentence structure are not all correct and the organization of my thoughts is lacking...but that doesn't mean I'm not smart - just that I don't care.

ENFPs are very smart cookies, but we'd be smarter if we had actual cookies. Chocolate chip, please!

·
Banned
6,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Maybe if you received 'summa cum laude' instead of 'magna'....

But, I suppose your efforts are worthy of a cookie.

Dictionary.com defines cookie as: "an alluring young woman"

So, enjoy.
It disappoints me that that picture is actually titled "alluring woman." Attractive, I suppose ('Tis only a thumbnail.), but that's not necessarily what I think of when I think "alluring," though my image of it may or may not be NSFW.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts

I don't think I've met an ENFP who wasn't smart... I mean... they don't know everything about everything... and that's fine... but their intuitive nature means that they're willing to question anything... and so they're not just sheep.... and that's one of the primary pillars upon which I begin judging intelligence. You folks seem to like to learn, just not perhaps in the traditional scholastic SJ manner... and I'm good with that :).

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Oh dear. I hate boasting. But I'll do it for your sake. :wink:

• I had the second highest SAT score in my high school class of 250 people
  • I was ranked tenth in my class
  • I attend one of the top liberal arts schools in the nation
  • I received multiple academic scholarships
  • My freshman year, I randomly ended up in a history class taught by the president of the university, who is also a renowned history scholar, and consistently got As on my weekly papers
  • I started out as a math major, and had a paid job on-campus tutoring calculus and computer science
  • On that note, I took computer science classes purely for fun... I also took chemistry for fun... and got As
  • I'm now an art major, but plan on making a career out of graphic design (a program we don't have at my school), so much of what I've learned has been self-taught
  • At my current job on-campus, my boss has assigned me with major projects like designing the official promotional pamphlet for a new academic building and writing the content completely on my own, as well as writing various news articles and press releases on behalf of the university
  • Basically, I'm a baller, and ENFPs are so multi-talented that they're all practically geniuses... sorry 'bout it

·
Banned
2,697 Posts
I neither brag about my academic achievements nor boast about my humorously high professionally-tested IQ score (your jaw would drop), because those things mean little to me, both in terms of myself and other people. Many XNFPs, like XNTPs, don't have faith in the educational system, especially in the US. I've never had to try at school though; straight As and the highest scores in everything always came easily.

I forgot my calculator to my ACT (in typical ENFP fashion), and my score was still ridiculously high in all sections. I also took math courses at a private high school when I was in middle school, because the teachers wanted me to feel somewhat challenged. I took all honors classes and was a member of both mock trial and science club in high school, while gaining several varsity letters in more than one sport. I read at 9th grade level in 3rd grade, and I've always scored in the 99th percentile on all standardized tests I've ever taken. I was class president. I received numerous academic scholarships to both high school and college. I have even had my poetry published numerous times, even at ages as young as 12, and several of my paintings won the best spots in my high school art fair. Such ridiculously "high potential" can drive one to insanity. Oh, and it did.

Let's disregard those former accomplishments here for a minute, because, again, none of that actually means anything. Rather, I'll mention how I spend my time now. I sit around, with the few people I truly enjoy, discussing science, politics, philosophy, humanity, and life at local coffee shops or while sitting in the grass on a nice day. I do a lot of reading, and I'm always learning, seeking knowledge... and daydreaming.

EDIT: As far as intelligence and genes goes, many of my grandparents and family members, including internationally renowned particle physicists, skipped 4+ grades in school. That's what happens when one cares about the educational system and is intelligent at the same time.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I neither brag about my academic achievements nor boast about my humorously high IQ score, because those things mean little to me, both in terms of myself and other people. Many XNFPs, like XNTPs, don't have faith in the educational system, especially in the US. I've never had to try at school though; straight As came easily, as well as the highest scores in the state science fair and such.

In college, I never went to class, and I never actually studied. I forgot my calculator to my ACT (in typical ENFP fashion), and my score was still ridiculously high in all sections. I also took math courses at a private high school when I was in middle school, because the teachers wanted me to feel somewhat challenged.

I took all honors classes and was a member of both mock trial and science club in high school (while gaining several varsity letters in more than one sport). I also read at 9th grade level in 3rd grade, and I've always scored in the 99th percentile on all standardized tests I've ever taken. I was class president. I received numerous academic scholarships to both high school and college. I have even had my poetry published numerous times, even at ages as young as 12, and several of my paintings won the best spots in my high school art fair. Such ridiculously "high potential" can drive one to insanity. Oh, and it did.

Let's disregard those accomplishments here for a minute, because, again, none of that actually means anything. Rather, I'll mention how I spend my time now. I sit around, with the few people I really enjoy, discussing science, politics, philosophy, humanity, and life at local coffee shops or while sitting in the grass on a nice day. I do a lot of reading, and I'm always learning, seeking knowledge... and daydreaming.
I'd just like to say that this is the way the majority of ENFPs (from my experience, and including myself) think. I do well on my tests and papers and such, and I'm proud of them, but I'm more proud of what they mean to me and others than the actual grade; it's just a tendency that my grade tends to reflect what they mean (i.e. my professors tend to grade on effort and understanding, not factual accuracy--though that, too, is important). I only care about my grades insofar that my GPA doesn't drop so low that I lose my scholarships, and that's about it.

I'm actually concerned about the learning process and gaining new knowledge. Friends become confused when I bitch about an "easy" professor who seemingly doesn't known anything about the topic. They tell me that I shouldn't be concerned and be glad that I basically "get a free A." However, I'm not content with that. I must learn something, or else I feel like I haven't gained anything (and for the most part, in fact, I didn't).

I dropped out of Computer Science because I felt that, for my standards, I was incompetent. I received an A- in Intro during my first semester, and I was holding an A/A- in Data Structures & Algorithms, when I tried to write a program from scratch, and I just couldn't do it, nor could I--anymore, at least--motivate myself to learn programming in more depth. That's when I dropped it.

I am (and will be, after 10 or so years, God willing) an academic, but that's merely a title (and an expensive one, at that :/). I'd otherwise be called an "intellectual" outside of an academic setting. I hardly study--indeed, I pulled 4 As and a B+ this semester with only doing the required reading for my Shakespeare class, the rest of the time being dedicated to my various vices and hobbies--but my breadth of understanding of the material (and, from my perspective, my ability to conceptualize and generalize it) helps me get through the class.

Overall, ENFPs are just a bunch of lazy geniuses, and I think, @MisterJordan, that you take more offense to the lazy part and less so to the genius part (e.g. "Would you 'wow' me with your intellectual achievements?" as opposed to "What makes you an intellectual?", the former suggesting that intelligence requires achievement and the latter suggesting intelligence--correctly, I believe--as a characteristic). You seem to be looking more at the result and less at the content, and--you should know--ENFPs are more concerned about the process than the outcome. If you would sit down and probe our minds for a bit, you'd find that we're actually quite intellectual and clever. Sometimes, though, we just don't care enough to show it.

·
Banned
2,697 Posts
Overall, ENFPs are just a bunch of lazy geniuses, and I think, @MisterJordan, that you take more offense to the lazy part and less so to the genius part (e.g. "Would you 'wow' me with your intellectual achievements?" as opposed to "What makes you an intellectual?", the former suggesting that intelligence requires achievement and the latter suggesting intelligence--correctly, I believe--as a characteristic).
This.

[10 characters]

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Overall, ENFPs are just a bunch of lazy geniuses, and I think, @MisterJordan, that you take more offense to the lazy part and less so to the genius part (e.g. "Would you 'wow' me with your intellectual achievements?" as opposed to "What makes you an intellectual?", the former suggesting that intelligence requires achievement and the latter suggesting intelligence--correctly, I believe--as a characteristic). You seem to be looking more at the result and less at the content, and--you should know--ENFPs are more concerned about the process than the outcome. If you would sit down and probe our minds for a bit, you'd find that we're actually quite intellectual and clever. Sometimes, though, we just don't care enough to show it.
Shhhhh, don't tell them our little secrets. The dumb card comes in handy sometimes ; D

This is why we know a little about everything, not everything about all things :p
We like the learning process, that's where the knowledge is, not the end result....

Shhhh...:D

·
Banned
2,697 Posts
Shhhhh, don't tell them our little secrets. The dumb card comes in handy sometimes ; D
See, I'm not big into the whole "playing dumb" thing. I've never been. I don't get it. I try to blend in intellectually rather than stand, because it's easier, draws less attention, and put less pressure on me, but I don't straight-up act stupid. What are the benefits? Why do people do this? Women do it all of the time. I think it hurts views of our gender in general, to be honest.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
See, I'm not big into the whole "playing dumb" thing. I've never been. I don't get it. I try to blend in intellectually rather than stand, because it's easier, draws less attention, and put less pressure on me, but I don't straight-up act stupid. What are the benefits? Why do people do this? Women do it all of the time. I think it hurts views of our gender in general, to be honest.
You didn't get it...Lol, its all good :) I don't play the intellectual card in a group of people that are superficial. They're not worthy of my knowledge. I don't give the time and energy to things and circumstances that i don't value. It doesn't mean i come off as being stupid , it just means i don't share my thoughts that really matter to me about the content or subject. I stay neutral in communication, not showing much interest, leading OP to think i'm 1. Not knowledgeable about the subject ( Which i am, just not interested ) or 2. Not interested because i'm not knowledgeable ( which i am, just not interested ):D This way i don't have to get involved with things i don't care about, which was my intent in the first place, an easy escape by playing down- or dumb>>> quick exit :)

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I stay neutral in communication, not showing much interest, leading OP to think i'm 1. Not knowledgeable about the subject ( Which i am, just not interested ) or 2. Not interested because i'm not knowledgeable ( which i am, just not interested ):D
This is totally off topic, but just FYI-- "OP," used in the context of online forums, stands for "original post" or "original poster," referring to the person who started the thread (or the first post in the thread itself). I've noticed you use "OP" to seemingly stand for "other people" (I think? at least that's what I'm assuming) and at first I didn't understand... just figured I'd let you know in case whenever you see other posters use the term "OP" you think it means other people, which could potentially be really confusing.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
This is totally off topic, but just FYI-- "OP," used in the context of online forums, stands for "original post" or "original poster," referring to the person who started the thread (or the first post in the thread itself). I've noticed you use "OP" to seemingly stand for "other people" (I think? at least that's what I'm assuming) and at first I didn't understand... just figured I'd let you know in case whenever you see other posters use the term "OP" you think it means other people, which could potentially be really confusing.
Yes, thank you. Due to my laziness i type OP. Is there another term i should be using ? I'm not really up on my internet shorthand. Maybe you can suggest something everyone will understand. Or maybe i'll continue typing my own internet shorthand and start a new trend as i don't have time for such petty things. Surely if someone gets confused, they will call me out on it. I will be happy to explain. Until then, carry on.

·
World's biggest INTJ fangirl
2,314 Posts
Wow! You ENFPs are incredible! I am pretty unremarkable in comparison :crazy:. I finished high school with pretty average grades (with the exception of Art and Classical History which I received highest honours for). Received my certificate in Multimedia the same year I graduated high school and published my first two books. Then I dumped the education system all together and travelled/lived in Canada for a bit. Went back to Uni last year but I'm dropping out again after this study period because it bores me to tears. I'll probably finally graduate when I'm like... 50 or something! :laughing:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts