Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically self explanatory. So let's discuss the pro's and cons or share your personal experience with the e-cigarette.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I also sometimes smoke while I'm drunk, and I've tried e-cigarette's.

Pro: It's healthier, I'd definitely use e-cig's if I was an everyday smoker.
Con: I don't get the nicotine buzz.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I don't smoke anymore, and when I did it wasn't tobacco. Though it seems like something that is catching on where I live. And from what I've heard its better alternative to cigarettes and some people use it in a process to help quit smoking. Overall its still bad for you I would say. Someone else I knew ranted about how they don't think guys should be using them because it looks feminine (he actually said worse things but I rather not say). So unless you really care what others may think about you. Its not a big deal.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I have a lot of experience with these, and I am pretty well convinced that they are far superior to smoking. Likelihood of less cancer + lack of off-putting odor + money saved = win.

I bought one a few years back when they were first becoming popular, and it was total junk. I blame the lack of quality on the rush to market, as they've since fixed a lot of the problems I experienced (Poor vapor, cartridges didn't last long, defective batteries, etc.)

A few things that anyone interested in an e-cig should know:

1. Buy good quality, refillable e-cigs. The gas station ones are pretty bad. Go for online (Halo, Volcano, etc) or a dedicated vapor shop (many in-store shops are cheaper than similar-quality products online, believe it or not).

2. The cigar-sized ones, in my experience, work MUCH better than the cigarette-sized ones in both vapor production and battery life.

3. Buy e-juice made with pharmaceutical-grade components. Don't order the cheap crap from overseas (unless you can independently verify the integrity of its components).

4. Get the highest level of nicotine available (usually between 24-36 mg/ml) to save money, as it all tends to cost the same.

5. After purchasing and using for the first time, it might take 2-24 hours for the vapor to seem less harsh. I believe this is your air pathways becoming used to the vapor. I'll be honest, the first time I hit it I thought it was an e-joint it was so harsh. This fades quickly and stays gone if you keep using it.

6. GET ONE NOW. Government is coming soon (... the f*ckers).

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a lot of experience with these, and I am pretty well convinced that they are far superior to smoking. Likelihood of less cancer + lack of off-putting odor + money saved = win.

I bought one a few years back when they were first becoming popular, and it was total junk. I blame the lack of quality on the rush to market, as they've since fixed a lot of the problems I experienced (Poor vapor, cartridges didn't last long, defective batteries, etc.)

A few things that anyone interested in an e-cig should know:

1. Buy good quality, refillable e-cigs. The gas station ones are pretty bad. Go for online (Halo, Volcano, etc) or a dedicated vapor shop (many in-store shops are cheaper than similar-quality products online, believe it or not).

2. The cigar-sized ones, in my experience, work MUCH better than the cigarette-sized ones in both vapor production and battery life.

3. Buy e-juice made with pharmaceutical-grade components. Don't order the cheap crap from overseas (unless you can independently verify the integrity of its components).

4. Get the highest level of nicotine available (usually between 24-36 mg/ml) to save money, as it all tends to cost the same.

5. After purchasing and using for the first time, it might take 2-24 hours for the vapor to seem less harsh. I believe this is your air pathways becoming used to the vapor. I'll be honest, the first time I hit it I thought it was an e-joint it was so harsh. This fades quickly and stays gone if you keep using it.

6. GET ONE NOW. Government is coming soon (... the f*ckers).
Thank you for your informative reply. I basically agree with everything you said. I wonder why the government wants to ban them though. I also believe that they're still tax free, that's the case in the UK at least.

My gf is using Green Smoke now and I think it's a really good product (I used to smoke like a Greek so I know my way around). I heard some good stories about the V2 and Halo is well. She claims that she has more stamina, energy and air while exercising.

I wonder why you recommend such a high dose of nicotine though. You're basically saving 5 usd per pack (assuming that a pack of cigs in the US is 7$) anyway already and isn't the nicotine the only product that is basically toxic? I would assume that you want to keep the nicotine dose as low as possible while still enjoying the physiological aspect/addiction/habit of smoking. Perhaps you never wanted to give up smoking in the first place?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Thank you for your informative reply. I basically agree with everything you said. I wonder why the government wants to ban them though. I also believe that they're still tax free, that's the case in the UK at least.

My gf is using Green Smoke now and I think it's a really good product (I used to smoke like a Greek so I know my way around). I heard some good stories about the V2 and Halo is well. She claims that she has more stamina, energy and air while exercising.

I wonder why you recommend such a high dose of nicotine though. You're basically saving 5 usd per pack (assuming that a pack of cigs in the US is 7$) anyway already and isn't the nicotine the only product that is basically toxic? I would assume that you want to keep the nicotine dose as low as possible while still enjoying the physiological aspect/addiction/habit of smoking. Perhaps you never wanted to give up smoking in the first place?
Yes, you correctly extrapolated my motivation in using the product. I do not use an e-cig as a quitting device; I use it as a replacement nicotine delivery system. If you plan to quit, starting with the lowest dose that maintains your body's desired nicotine level is best, then step it down. This also depends on how you smoke it: occasionally or more constantly. I recommend the highest dose for those who use the device as I do because one would receive more nicotine per battery cycle and more nicotine per dollar. Saving MORE money > saving money.

The main reason the government is giving in the US for wanting control is because e-juice comes in "kid-friendly" flavors. I would generally agree that this is a problem if it were shown that nicotine itself (excluding the health effects from breathing the output of a combustion reaction) were any more harmful than anything else we allow children to consume (caffeine, OTC medication, etc).

I'm not saying we should allow the sale to children. However, should a child get their hands on an e-cig and e-juice, proper use would (as far as we know at this point) put them at little more risk than a regular intake of caffeine. My main concern is that improper use could lead to complications. I don't think we need to ban flavors; just ban sale to anyone under 18. Improper use of a lighter can burn your house down, but we don't have a complex regulatory scheme on those.

Reactions: All in Twilight

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I kid you not, one time at 17 I was carded for a lighter and the lady wouldn't sell it to me and said I had to be 18.
On one level or another, lighter sales are generally banned to those under 18. My point was that this doesn't really qualify as a complicated alcohol-or-tobacco-like regulatory scheme.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've smoked a variety of e-cigs, and I'm a heavy smoker of cigarettes. They're a healthier alternative to smoking, and some people find the taste more agreeable, and it's definitely less "harsh" so long as you know what you're doing and don't puff on it like a stogie. It's nicotine, so you'll get/stay addicted, but you don't get a cancer-inducing buildup of nasty tar in your lungs. And you can do it inside (illegal to smoke inside anywhere in my state now :sadface:.) And it's cheaper. But because I'm a sucker and a creature of habit, I prefer my smokeleaf.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts