Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The most important thing the MBTI, Socionics, The enneagram teaches is...

GET OVER YOURSELF.
That means, you, me, and everybody else.

It also means this, even in a large group or people whether you know it or not you are utterly ALONE.

·
Registered
359 Posts
You were dealt a hand of cards through genetics, upbringing, and/or maybe a little random chance. You're the culmination of human development so far, the best product the species can offer with a little extra to explore a new possibility. There's a reason you are what you are.

Become self-aware. Knowing yourself allows you to improve your hand. Then be the potential of your hand of cards.

Alone? It's a state of mind. Do yourself a favor. Go camp in the desert, Alaska, or some place where you can truly be alone for a couple weeks. It will give you a truer perspective on being alone.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alone? It's a state of mind. Do yourself a favor. Go camp in the desert, Alaska, or some place where you can truly be alone for a couple weeks. It will give you a truer perspective on being alone.
It wasn't a question.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
How can we get over ourselves if we are alone? What else is there, then?

Reactions: agokcen

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Maybe if we get over and effectively dump ourselves, we are in some higher plane of alone.

Nope. Not buying it. This romanticized solitude is some pipe dream from people who've never had to be really alone.

The more I get into MBTI the more I realize that we're all like beads on strings. There are several different strings and each bead is a little different and has it its own individual reality.

I think the eureka moment is when we get over ourselves by realizing we aren't terminally unique. Thus, not truly alone.

But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Because I'm not.

Why do you stand?
To get people to question why.

Nope. Not buying it. This romanticized solitude is some pipe dream from people who've never had to be really alone.

The more I get into MBTI the more I realize that we're all like beads on strings. There are several different strings and each bead is a little different and has it its own individual reality.

I think the eureka moment is when we get over ourselves by realizing we aren't terminally unique. Thus, not truly alone.

But I could be wrong.
To say another bead of your own string or another string has never been alone is presumptuous. After all, you observed we each have our own individual reality and thus experiences. To say whether being alone is a good or bad experience is only relative to each bead.

Say a bead is in their early 20s, for whatever reason emerges from a correctional facility in a major city they don't know well with no money, no one to call on, no way home other than to walk halfway across that city whilst examining their former philosophy of not giving a damn whether they live or die, they too can have a eureka moment in aloneness and decide it's actually nice to be alive and free and to get their act together and live up to their potential. In my experience, the romance of solitude achieves a similar effect if you're open to it and is the easier route to go, but I could be wrong.

So I am of the opposite opinion that events can occur in the reverse order. You can find yourself truly alone, and then get over yourself. From then on, aloneness is a state of mind, and uniqueness has nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts

But I could be wrong.
You're right we are not completely unique, the beads on a strings is a great metaphor for that example.

To get people to question why.

To say another bead of your own string or another string has never been alone is presumptuous. After all, you observed we each have our own individual reality and thus experiences. To say whether being alone is a good or bad experience is only relative to each bead.

Say a bead is in their early 20s, for whatever reason emerges from a correctional facility in a major city they don't know well with no money, no one to call on, no way home other than to walk halfway across that city whilst examining their former philosophy of not giving a damn whether they live or die, they too can have a eureka moment in aloneness and decide it's actually nice to be alive and free and to get their act together and live up to their potential. In my experience, the romance of solitude achieves a similar effect if you're open to it and is the easier route to go, but I could be wrong.

So I am of the opposite opinion that events can occur in the reverse order. You can find yourself truly alone, and then get over yourself. From then on, aloneness is a state of mind, and uniqueness has nothing to do with it.
I agree.
At the end of the day being alone is a state of mind, even if you were on a planet in a distant galaxy, you are only as alone as you feel, example, a schizophrenic person would not consider themselves alone when they have there hallucinations to keep them company.

I think this question was just answered but, I felt like throwing my two cents in.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
To say another bead of your own string or another string has never been alone is presumptuous. blah blah strawman blah blah blah blah
Your example of the guy walking across town after release from prison only says this to me: His incarceration forced him reflect on his former aloneness/separateness enough to get over himself and be re-united with society where he will not be alone. That was the point of his rehabilitation and release. He's supposed to be a useful and active member of society, not a navel-gazer cutting his own path in life after bravely accepting his seclusion. His time in the slammer was to encourage him to get over himself and recognize that he's not alone, can't live as though he is, and will eventually be destroyed by thinking that he is.

The Greek word for "on one's own" is idios. That's also where we get "idiot".

·
Registered
359 Posts
Your example of the guy walking across town after release from prison only says this to me: His incarceration forced him reflect on his former aloneness/separateness enough to get over himself and be re-united with society where he will not be alone. That was the point of his rehabilitation and release. He's supposed to be a useful and active member of society, not a navel-gazer cutting his own path in life after bravely accepting his seclusion. His time in the slammer was to encourage him to get over himself and recognize that he's not alone, can't live as though he is, and will eventually be destroyed by thinking that he is.

The Greek word for "on one's own" is idios. That's also where we get "idiot".
We're talking the same thing. Be it the anti-social clown, or the arrogant ass, once these two have their eureka moments, they realize their former life of idios was the wrong path and "get over themselves." Both of these examples appear to be in conflict with the OP who infers it happens in reverse order.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
The most important thing the MBTI, Socionics, The enneagram teaches is...

GET OVER YOURSELF.
That means, you, me, and everybody else.

It also means this, even in a large group or people whether you know it or not you are utterly ALONE.
I will argue the whole idea that we are "utterly alone". In fact, I think what the MBTI shows us is that we are truly more similar to one another than many of us realize due to our cognitive functions in how we approach and take in the world.

Examples:
Because of the MBTI, now when I meet an ESFJs or ENFJs I can see how I can connect with them via my Fe and I understand why they put others first so much. I can see that I get equally upset over certain things that they do as well, but perhaps in a slightly different way.

Because of the MBTI, now when I meet ESTPs or ESFPs I can see how they can help me to stop and enjoy the moment. They take in their environment in the same way I can.

The MBTI helps me to see the big picture of the world from an individual standpoint so much more clear. It just makes so much sense to me that I can't even figure out how to put it into words. Guess that's Ni for ya. :dry:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.