Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't read the book prior but after I saw the movie, I bought the book and now I'm reading it. Oh wow. The movie was so amazing to me. I cried when Rue died. The music was just...*drools*. I loved the music.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
It was surprisingly faithful. I didn't expect it to be that good, to be honest, but it was. It was well put together. Very interesting. ^^ The cinematography was good. :) The score was great. Overall, it was worth the money to see.

·
Registered
751 Posts
It was very good, I thought. I haven't read the book myself.

SPOILERS AHOY (someone tell me how to do spoiler tags on this forum please)

It set up the plot and the universe rather brilliantly- in fact I was more interested in the universe than the games themselves. It was decently acted with a refreshing protagonist, and despite it's young cast it avoided being too 'teenagery'. It looked great as well.

The top-district antagonists were too arrogant to be believable though, and as stupid as super-villains. It didn't annoy me too much but it just took something away from the authenticity of it all. I know it had to get a low certificate considering it's target audience, but personally I would have kicked up the violence one more notch since it was important to me. It was visceral enough though- the neck-snapping bit was great.

THE SPOILERS BE OVER

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
(someone tell me how to do spoiler tags on this forum please)
[ spoiler ] put text here [ /spoiler ] (remove spaces between brackets)

hidden text appears like this

·
Banned
2,616 Posts
I think as a book it's crap prose with a half assed orwellian setting and a meh plot.

Movie wise, not too sure since I haven't seen it but if the trailers are any indication than it's lame.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I rather liked the movie - I think they had a good cast, and it was paced in way which I liked, which is on the side of unusual for me. I've not read the book, but I might give it a try over the holidays. So hard to find young adult books I like at the moment.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
I never finished the book, but I thought the film was pretty okay. I heard the author was a screenwriter first, so maybe her writing is best-suited for the screen rather than books? (I couldn't get into the book, and I love reading.)

There was some technical stuff that wasn't great, but the overall affect was good, I thought - although the whole Rue thing seemed kind of thrown in (apparently it seems like that in the book too). I did think the violence was handled very well and made quite realistic without much gore. The acting was pretty good too for a lot of it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I read like halfway through the book, but then put it down because I didn't enjoy the voice and how some of the plot points went. I watched the movie and loved it. Maybe I'll try to read the book again someday.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I liked the book because of the premise. It was decent reading, at least the first time around.

I didn't like the movie much, because of the parts it departed from the book in specifics and in flavor (at least how I read it). That's just my problem though, I can hardly ever watch movies of a book. :tongue: If I could not be critical and compare them constantly, I might have enjoyed it.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
For the books, I really enjoyed the story telling and some of the political themes. But the "which boy should I kiss" theme got old really quick.

The movie was fine, but I was a little shocked at how low the budget was. Special effects don't make a movie, but this one could have used a few. No hovercraft claws to take away bodies? Too expensive!

Beside Katniss and Rue, the casting was dreadful. I guess "I look like I have Down's Syndrome" is the new sexy. I must have missed the memo. And seriously, why wasn't Eddie Izzard cast as Cinna???

This video is pretty spot-on and summarizes a few of my other concerns.

Reactions: Subtle Murder

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
That video is freakin' hilarious, @EmotionallyTonedGeometry, and pretty much sums up all of the problems I had with the film. I absolutely hated it. I can only hope that with its surprising success, the second film gets a bigger budget and makes up for what the first was lacking. :)

Reactions: Just_Some_Guy

·
Registered
219 Posts
"Hunger Games" was disapointing....maybe the hype was too much and goods too little...there was nothing original in it for me.... :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts