Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to fill out a position for a kennel assistant at a vet. I have some experience dealing with dogs and some cats. I'm very gentle and sweet with the animals, but I know that reason wouldn't fly. Hear is the question:
"Why should you be selected for the next available position?"

I don't know how to answer this. Please help.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have to answer the question from the heart. You love helping animals, is this not so?
Well, of course, but I would think they needed a more professional answer and I'm not sure what answer I should give them. I can give them a very emotionally honest answer, but that doesn't fly well at businesses, which is why I'm asking for help.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Why should you be selected for the next available position?
Perhaps it may be easier to flip this question around. Imagine you have a pet that is going to have to stay within someone else in a kennel while you are on vacation. What kind of person would you want to leave with your pet? What qualities do you share with this person? That is how I'd look to answer this question from a logical rational perspective.

For example, are you conscientious around animals to look at the state of their food and water dishes? Do you know to routinely walk dogs? While these are fairly basic things they are the kind of things I imagine that those reading the answers would like to see rather than something like, "You know why I'm qualified for this, homey!"

·
Beer Guardian
PerC Host, ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE
15,031 Posts
Well, of course, but I would think they needed a more professional answer and I'm not sure what answer I should give them. I can give them a very emotionally honest answer, but that doesn't fly well at businesses, which is why I'm asking for help.

I don't know what's wrong with saying that you have a passion for helping animals.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Why should they hire you? If you want the job, you must think you have the skills and the drive to excel at the position. Tell them about it. Tell them your experiences. Tell them about your passion. Tell them, specifically, what you'll do for them. Convince them they should hire you. Don't be humble. Don't downplay yourself. You think you're the best person for this job and you need to convince them of that (even if it's not entirely true-- make it true).

Reactions: SmilesforMiles

·
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧
5,108 Posts
It's always important to talk about your personal interest in the job. Your employer will be investing time & money in giving you on the job training, so they want to know that you'll stick around. Sometimes people apply for any and every job available to hold them over until they get the job they truly want, so you want to show that you're not one of these people.

Reactions: Eerie

·
Banned
1,970 Posts
Businesses are looking for reliable, dependable people. I would stress those qualities. Tell them that you're never late; you take care of yourself and you seldom get sick. You'd love to stick around and keep this job for a long, long time and you're easy to get along with. Tell them you won't mind coming in early or leaving late, you won't text or make unnecessary phone calls on the job. That sort of thing. Good luck.

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
Whenever any potential employer asks why you should be selected for a position, the best response is always to insinuate (but never expressly state) that you will abduct his or her family and hold them hostage if they do not.

It's a tough job market out there, and employers read a lot of applications. You need something that stands out and shows you are willing to take charge of a situation to get what you want, even if that means committing a few felonies.

But, seriously... it really doesn't matter what you put because they aren't going to make hiring decisions based solely on how you answer a stock question.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts