Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi INFP friends.

Sometimes I get these lows from being in college. The reason for this is that I have all this unstructured time after classes that I get lost, confused and depressed. I'm starting to think that high school wasn't any better than it is now because in high school, there was a much more defined schedule, more structure.

What kinds of issues did you have in college?

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
In Uni, I was generally bored. It's funny because I started school at 22 after I figured out what I wanted to do. I was soo passionate and driven. When I got to class i was really friendly and extroverted. I would mingle with everyone and the teachers. My grades were either an A or +A for a two semesters, but then...

- I realized how crappy most of the teachers were. They couldn't really answer too many questions beyond the book, and if they did it was very half assed. This made me realize that many of them could not think outside the box.

- Classes became overly simple and it felt like lots of them were beginner basics. One example would be basic computer classes or writing courses. I honestly can't believe I bought a $200 intro to computer classes book where it took 6 pages to show me where the start menu was. Based on that, i started skipping classes and stopped buying books (waste of money, would add a challenge, and the reality is no one really reads the book anyways).

There were lots of little issues and big ones. When I reflect back I realize that the experiences I had with the people I met, or hung out with, was the only thing that really had an impact on me. Regardless, I needed the credits (for Policing) for going. So in the end I didn't have much of a choice, but I don't regret the experience portion. I was just very unfulfilled and jaded with the education system in general.

Reactions: spifffo

·
Registered
759 Posts
My roommate was a stoner, I had little guidance growing up, was sheltered and not good with other people or the real world, and was in the middle of a depression.

Needless to say I wasted thousands of dollars on drugs and dropped out after 3 semesters without any credits.

One of the best times of my life.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I've been in college for a month. I'm not surrounded by intellectuals like I had hoped for, but every day I meet more and more people. I'm learning and having fun, and that's what matters! :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
I actually LOVED that college had less of a defined schedule than high school. I could go away from class for a while and go take a nap in my room or study, etc...I loved having more control over my time.

Issues I had were...
-Being self-conscious and not going up to teachers and asking things I really wanted to know. I was too intimidated/shy most of the time.
-Being a perfectionist about papers. However, I got much better about this in the last 2 years when I learned to just churn out papers and not be so ridiculous about making them perfect. I stopped doing all-nighters and instead would give myself a deadline of 1 a.m. because I realized I needed 8 hours of sleep to function.
-I had depression for one semester when I moved into a house with 5 other LOUD girls (it was horrible for my introversion!). Every day I just wanted to stay in my bed. I think I also had a bout of seasonal affective disorder. But I would escape to my parents' house for some quiet because they lived close by, and that made my depression go away.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I love college. I really, seriously love research projects and lectures and professors sooooo much. It tires me out, but gives me warm and fuzzy feelings. I'm a geek, though.

·
Banned
3,426 Posts
I hate college. I'd rather do my own thing than take GE classes that I don't care about. And how am I supposed to chose something to do for the rest of my life when I don't know what's out there?

·
Registered
154 Posts
No, it's not really that bad. I loved it; it's a great experience to have and I will treasure it for the rest of my life!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Love college am so happy to be back at it after a two year break, MFA here I come. With you on the down time part though. Too much down time and I drop a little low. That's why this year I got a fitness pass and I'm taking three group fitness classes a week, helps fill in the down time a little. However doing that has taking a bit of emotional effort on my part as I hate feeling embarrassed and judged, really opens yourself up to judgment in a full mirrored dance studio taking a zumba class :tongue: But I gotta agree with you about high school, liked the heave structure, but I guess at some point we all have to become our own schedulers don't we :crazy:

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
My 3rd day at college for this new year and it's going great. :D

My class only has about 15 people and the only males is me and 2 others, Ended up thinking I wasn't going to make any friends but I now have 3 new friends. The 2 guys in my class haven't even spoke to me. o_O

Last year my friend started college with me but he left with in a month so I was on me own for the rest of the year so it was pretty boring.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It was easily one of the worst experiences of my entire life.
Do you want to elaborate a little more? I am curious to know.

It's a good thing a lot of you enjoy college thus far or enjoyed it. It seems like taking that advantage of freedom and so on is a perceiving trait.

Thanks for all of your replies.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I just started like a month ago. Struggling a little bit with the amount of people around. A lot of the time I'd rather stay alone in my dorm but I have classes to go to. Some days I just don't want to be seen.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
College was the best time of my life. Its all what you make of it... which mostly depends on the school you go to. If you go to the right school, it will match up with your personality perfectly. If you are the artsy type that likes the urban environment, you don't want to go to a large, middle of nowhere, jock school. Attend the wrong school and it might be torturous. Also, make sure you make your friends freshman year - friends are pretty much locked down in the first year so choose wisely.

My one most important word of advice for the college-bound is that the education you receive outside of the classroom is as important if not more important than the education you receive in the classroom. Such as, socializing with others, extracurricular activities/clubs, trying new foods, trying new things, meeting different people/cultures, networking, romantic relationships, taking classes that are completely irrelevant to your major and out of personal interest, etc. Make good use of your time and don't waste it by sitting in your room or being glued to your books (get good grades, but majority of the stuff you learn isn't really that important beyond the exams). College is honestly the only time in your life that you have freedom to explore.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I went to a summer program in my college and at first I felt depressed. However, as time passed, I was happier and I also met a lot of really nice people. Also, I had bible studies and I went to them both. The classes I took in the summer were English and EDP. Both of my teachers in the summer program were nice, intelligent, understanding, and helpful and it made being in class fun. Also, I liked the students that I was with during that time. They were funny, unique, kind, and polite.

Since the fall, I have been involved in the Catholic Student Center and the Baptist Student Center and I feel as though that I have developed my faith more since high school. I take English, Textiles, Math and a Math lecture, Political Science, and University Seminar.

The problems I have with college is the scheduling which at times feels rigid. Also, some classes are very large and there are too many people in the quad, which feels uncomfortable. I have found out that my college does not offer Fashion Design as a major and my parents wanted me to take microbiology as a major. So right now I am undecided, but I am going to take Costume Design next semester.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts