Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I haven't been on here in a while. Say, a year or something. For those of you who don't know me, I'm a university student, elementary education major. I also like writing, outdoor walks, making things (like crafts), anime/Korean dramas (I gave both up for addiction reasons), and hanging out with friends.

Okay, intro out of the way! Now the problem.

So, I'm an Education major. Or I will be. I'm in the states, and you have to jump through a lot of hoops, like taking a test to get into the program, getting interviewed, turning in a portfolio, etc. before you can get in. My problem is that I didn't turn in my portfolio in time. I literally missed the deadline because I got the time wrong. You can guess I was pretty mad at myself (mad was the nicest word.)

Anyway, now I am out of classes to go into my field, but I can't re-apply into the program until next semester. So what this means is I have to take four classes next semester that have nothing to do with my degree while I wait for the opportunity to apply to my program. I would just skip school a semester, but I've got some scholarships that I don't want to lose so...

I need some advice. Can anyone suggest some courses I might like/want to take? I am at my wits end trying to decide what to take.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
What are your options? Something like psychology always interests me, but you can never go wrong with math (if that's an option).
If possible, give Computer Science a shot. Building programs that others can use is really enjoyable to me. You might not learn a whole lot in only one semester, but trying new things is never bad. ;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
My suggestions would be:

a) Broaden your own personal education in a way that will support your career, like taking a Literature course so that when you're a teacher you can have a better idea of what books to suggest to your students (even if they're elementary age, I think that would help), or take a foreign language like Spanish, so you could possibly teach Spanish speaking students.

b) Support your long term financial goals. Take a course in business or economics, which I think is always helpful, especially if you're not going to be paid a whole lot as a teacher.

c) Since you can't take any education classes, I agree with Ninjaws that psychology would be a good choice. Or anthropology. Anything that would broaden your knowledge about humans in general.

Or you could just take courses that you think are fun. That's important too!

·
Registered
ISFP
196 Posts
Something math related if there are such options. Elementary education is in desperate need of teachers who really "get" math. More math may seem unnecessary for an elementary level educator but it is at the foundation that everything is going wrong for countless students.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am thinking of taking a sign language course. I took some at my college (I transferred after I got my associates) so I'm going to try and test into a class. I do like different cultures. The last anthropology class I took was nothing but terms though, we really didn't learn about another culture. :/ I have been thinking about taking a business course. I am hoping to start an online shop on Etsy sometime this summer so...

Anymore suggestions? I've just been having the hardest time trying to think of classes to take. I would like to take some fun courses to if you have any suggestions. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Try creative writing. If you're aiming for education, some creative writing would be good. Art and drawing, if possible. It helps to know some art skills- art teacher?

Special needs and related courses. Psychology would also be good. Simple music classes?

Inshort, classes that will help you broaden your work scope.

Reactions: Leninalovesu

·
Registered
896 Posts
Whatever you take, just be sure your electives count towards your overall degree. I second @johnson.han.3's suggestion to talk to an adviser, just to make sure. An intro business class sounds like a great idea. I've always been fascinated with psychology; understanding what motivates people might be a helpful thing to know when you're going to be figuring out how to motivate students!

Reactions: Leninalovesu

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
I say go wild and take classes in subjects you might never have otherwise tried. As much as your situation sucks, it sounds like you have a rare opportunity most students don't get.

My suggestion: make one class something relevant to your major, but choose the rest based on what you find interesting. Oftentimes learning information outside your major can help you be more creative in how you approach your major.

If you can't fix the situation, embrace it.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
What do you think about art classes, like drawing, painting, photography? I enjoyed taking art classes for fun. I was a Biology major and did figure drawing, oil painting, photography, and Drawing I.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts