Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have done a lot of reading, as well as some further tests and I believe that I am an INFP.... from spending most of my day in deep thought to hating routine and a day full of plans. However, there are some things from the INFJ description that I feel applies to me as well... I seem to pick up on things that others don't, I can 'see' what people are really saying, despite what words they use, my first impressions of people are usually spot on and I can also work out what the root cause of an issue is. I have had perfect strangers open up and tell me their deepest secret and am constantly being sort out for advice. My partner (who is INFP as well) and I seem to communicate without words.

I was just wondering if these things are traits of an INFP as well?

Thanks! :happy:

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
just so you know, it's possible to be both.

it isn't possible to utilize both J and P in the same instance, but it's entirely possible to be an INFX

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

it isn't possible to utilize both J and P in the same instance, but it's entirely possible to be an INFX

Ah, ok. I'm very new to this, so I apologise for my ignorance.:happy:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
If you're a J, you usually don't have multiple unfinished projects that have been dragging on for years. All the Js that I know have multiple projects but are actively working on them. Most Js don't have random piles of partially read books next to their bedside. All the Js I know read one book and finish one book before starting the next one.

Most Ps have a miscellaneous pile of papers the don't know where to put. Js have a to be filed pile of papers that have a place but the J hasn't gotten around to filing yet.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're a J, you usually don't have multiple unfinished projects that have been dragging on for years. All the Js that I know have multiple projects but are actively working on them. Most Js don't have random piles of partially read books next to their bedside. All the Js I know read one book and finish one book before starting the next one.

Most Ps have a miscellaneous pile of papers the don't know where to put. Js have a to be filed pile of papers that have a place but the J hasn't gotten around to filing yet.

See, going by that, I am most definately a P...4 unfinished books, all being read at the same time, all on different subjects...by my bed :laughing:

I think I got a little confused by the different descriptions but some of the J stuff I can relate to, as well....so, I dunno :confused::happy:

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
See, going by that, I am most definately a P...4 unfinished books, all being read at the same time, all on different subjects...by my bed :laughing:

I think I got a little confused by the different descriptions but some of the J stuff I can relate to, as well....so, I dunno :confused::happy:
you probably switch according to the task at hand or by what scenario you are faced with.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just realised how very little I know about personlity types and how it all works....and I hate not knowing :tongue:

Reactions: edwardk

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I just realised how very little I know about personlity types and how it all works....and I hate not knowing :tongue:
it's something that INFP's tend to be extremely curious and interested in. believe me, i was when I learned about mbti and personality psychology. primarily because it was the first time in my life that I felt like I wasn't the only person like myself in the world.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it's something that INFP's tend to be extremely curious and interested in. believe me, i was when I learned about mbti and personality psychology. primarily because it was the first time in my life that I felt like I wasn't the only person like myself in the world.

I'm finding it all so facinating. I have so many questions but am trying so hard not to ask them, for fear I may look like an imbicile :happy:

Psychology is a huge interest of mine, primarily Forensic/Criminal...what makes a person do the things they do?....

I can relate to finding people like myself. Apart from my partner, I haven't really known people like me, so it's good to know I'm not the odd one out and that there are explainations for my weirdness :laughing:

Reactions: retypepassword

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I can relate to finding people like myself. Apart from my partner, I haven't really known people like me, so it's good to know I'm not the odd one out and that there are explainations for my weirdness :laughing:
better weird then "average". blech. :laughing:

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Hello,

I have done a lot of reading, as well as some further tests and I believe that I am an INFP.... from spending most of my day in deep thought to hating routine and a day full of plans. However, there are some things from the INFJ description that I feel applies to me as well... I seem to pick up on things that others don't, I can 'see' what people are really saying, despite what words they use, my first impressions of people are usually spot on and I can also work out what the root cause of an issue is. I have had perfect strangers open up and tell me their deepest secret and am constantly being sort out for advice. My partner (who is INFP as well) and I seem to communicate without words.

I was just wondering if these things are traits of an INFP as well?

Thanks! :happy:
Yes, many INFPs possess those traits. I suggest looking into the cognitive functions of each type. You'll find they are actually coming from two very different thought processes that go beyond the J/P distinctions.
If you feel you deal with the world as a perceiver (P), and the above is all that is preventing you from taking the INFP tag, then you're probably INFP.

Erm, that's debatable. Within the constructs of the theory it is not possible, but outside of the theory, a lot is possible. However, it's no longer an MBTI type then, but a new definition of types.

Reactions: IndigoSidhe

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Don't you mean your awesomeness? :laughing:

Reactions: IndigoSidhe

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeh you apologized for what you did...you're an INFP.

:laughing:

Yes, many INFPs possess those traits. I suggest looking into the cognitive functions of each type. You'll find they are actually coming from two very different thought processes that go beyond the J/P distinctions.
If you feel you deal with the world as a perceiver (P), and the above is all that is preventing you from taking the INFP tag, then you're probably INFP.

Yeah, I fit an INFP in every way, just those 'insight' factors that had me confused, as that is very much me, too....sometimes I feel I know more than I should. It's good to know that it's an INFP trait, too.

Don't you mean your awesomeness? :laughing:

Yes, that is exactly what I meant :laughing:

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Erm, that's debatable. Within the constructs of the theory it is not possible, but outside of the theory, a lot is possible. However, it's no longer an MBTI type then, but a new definition of types.
I don't see what's so impossible about being an introvert sometimes and an extrovert other times (as an example at least)

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I don't see what's so impossible about being an introvert sometimes and an extrovert other times (as an example at least)
Well, I/E does not determine how outgoing you are at every moment. It determines which way your brain is oriented. An introvert may be outgoing in an instance & an extrovert may enjoy quiet moments of thinking, but that does not change their overall brain orientation. I/E preference is actually a part of MBTI that IS proven by science, meaning there is evidence of brains being wired differently in direct connection to I/E preference (total laymen's terms there).

This means, ultimately, an introvert will be charged by their own thoughts/internal world, and the extrovert will be charged by external interaction & stimuli. That does not mean that both will not enjoy a bit of the other's world from time to time.

I think shy extroverts may occasionally test introvert because of the confusion as to what it is. I do believe in "ambiverts" to a degree, or a slight preference which is hard to detect. I/E is said to be a continuum after all.

However, J/P is different, because it changes your entire set of functions. xNFP is much more likely than INFx because ENFPs & INFPs share the same functions in a different order; ENFPs have stronger extroverted functions of course.

Example:
INFP = Fi, Ne, Si, Te
INFJ = Ni, Fe, Ti, Se
ENFP = Ne, Fi, Te, Si

Anyway, I don't want to hijack the thread (too late? :laughing:). As I said, sure it's possible, but not within the constraints of the theory. Otherwise, you're creating a new theory...

·
Registered
1,993 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I have never really thought that someone could be both at different times, but i've always held it in my head as a possibility since I haven't seen any evidence otherwise. I do agree that I/E preference is more hardwired into someone more so then any other preference.

well anyway, i DO believe it's possible for someone to be able to switch between J or P (according to what scenario each one is suited for more).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I/E does not determine how outgoing you are at every moment. It determines which way your brain is oriented. An introvert may be outgoing in an instance & an extrovert may enjoy quiet moments of thinking, but that does not change their overall brain orientation. I/E preference is actually a part of MBTI that IS proven by science, meaning there is evidence of brains being wired differently in direct connection to I/E preference (total laymen's terms there).

This means, ultimately, an introvert will be charged by their own thoughts/internal world, and the extrovert will be charged by external interaction & stimuli. That does not mean that both will not enjoy a bit of the other's world from time to time.

I think shy extroverts may occasionally test introvert because of the confusion as to what it is. I do believe in "ambiverts" to a degree, or a slight preference which is hard to detect. I/E is said to be a continuum after all.

However, J/P is different, because it changes your entire set of functions. xNFP is much more likely than INFx because ENFPs & INFPs share the same functions in a different order; ENFPs have stronger extroverted functions of course.

Example:
INFP = Fi, Ne, Si, Te
INFJ = Ni, Fe, Ti, Se
ENFP = Ne, Fi, Te, Si

Anyway, I don't want to hijack the thread (too late? :laughing:). As I said, sure it's possible, but not within the constraints of the theory. Otherwise, you're creating a new theory...

Oh, no..it's fine. I'm finding this completely facinating and since I know very little, it's a great way to learn :happy:

You're awesome :laughing:

So are you! :laughing:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts