Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently temping for an agency and my current position I am answering phones all day, and holy crap, it is draining. I am EXHAUSTED after every day, and after two weeks, I have had enough. Constantly answering a phone, taking orders, taking messages, being yelled at, multitasking.....yeah....an infp heaven. Funny thing is, my supervisor said I am doing amazing, and I really don't have trouble doing it, it just sucks. More motivation for me to find a career that I can tolerate. Considering going to portfolio school to become a copywriter...chalk another mark up for another potential career.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Think of it as leveling in real life. If you think it sucks at the beginning, wait till later on.

Errr, I guess I was supposed to be supportive. The most important aspect of it is that it allows you to network and fill up the resume a bit more. Hang in there for a bit and try to spice it up somehow, take a bit of a more casual approach when conversing with people. Sometimes faking professionalism can be the most draining aspect of it all.

If it ever compromises your health though, lickity split.

·
Banned
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Think of it as leveling in real life. If you think it sucks at the beginning, wait till later on.

Errr, I guess I was supposed to be supportive. The most important aspect of it is that it allows you to network and fill up the resume a bit more. Hang in there for a bit and try to spice it up somehow, take a bit of a more casual approach when conversing with people. Sometimes faking professionalism can be the most draining aspect of it all.

If it ever compromises your health though, lickity split.
Haha, luckily it is only temporary. I guess it would be good networking if I was into it or any part of the business, but I'm not. Meh. Nice people though....and good for the resume. I totally do the casual approach. I answer and talk like I am talking to a friend, I think it works. My supervisor thinks I'm weird, which is funny.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I should say something supportive but I don't think I can. I've worked in a call centre for two years now and I can tell you that the exhaustion does not get much easier. The only thing that is easier is that I spend less energy per call as the answers are already pre-determined in my mind from so many previous calls, you would think I'm a robot reading from a script when I'm actually coming up with my own answers to the questions. So mental exhaustion is less likely than mild exhaustion these days but I do often find myself wallowing in self-pity or despair and I have the occasional suicidal thought (sometimes as often as once a week.) The only redeeming feature is that the office seem to treat me well and like me, I'm guessing the office eccentric experience has grown on them over time.

I'm sorry there was no support in my post, but there is little happiness when you only want the customers to see you as a poor sap answering the phone instead of some living avatar for the company and all its faults. It would be good for your resume of course, I believe most employers see a large amount of call centre experience as an ability to work under pressue as well as a good standard of customer service. In the end though, if you want to become a copywriter then it's probably better to pursue it. Call centres are difficult to advance in (unless over to more admin roles) and usually it seems to follow down the supervisory tracks which are a nightmare if you have mundane tasks.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
yeah, that's why I quit my job as a telecommunications person.

It was for charity, but suckering people in time after time again go to be so draining, like you say.

However it was rewarding, if I did a good job, but I found it too stressful to continue with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts